Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you even know what your IQ is? You dumb Bastard!

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Tom wrote: »
    Mine's a closely guarded secret but here's clue for all you below average types :D

1/2(cos(ax−bx)−cos(ax+bx))−k/2(cos(ax+bx)+cos(ax−bx))=−1

where k > 1 is constant and so are a and b, and they are all irrational.

27!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

I don't know why, but the first time I saw that on the tv I couldn't keep a straight face for a day and a half :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

orourkeda wrote: »
    I was called for a mensa test and scored 136.

I scored 149 - but I cheated.;););)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

Tom wrote: »
    Mine's a closely guarded secret but here's clue for all you below average types :D

1/2(cos(ax−bx)−cos(ax+bx))−k/2(cos(ax+bx)+cos(ax−bx))=−1

where k > 1 is constant and so are a and b, and they are all irrational.
    12?:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Brendog wrote: »
    You've to pay to join? People actually pay money just to say they are a member of a high IQ society?

Evidently this IQ thing is not all its cracked up to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

done the mensa one when i was 12, got 138.

got kicked out of mensa a few years ago cos i didnt pay my subscriptions. being a member never done anything for me.

done another IQ test a few months ago as part of a job application, scored 148. Think that swung it for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

160 in a couple of tests I did. However I think once it's over 140 or so you are off the scale for normal tests. Need to do ones designed for high IQs to find out anything more than "over 140". Had a glance at one of these and didnt know how to answer most of the questions offhand. Found this offputting :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

bnt wrote: »
    Who needs an IQ when you have Emotional Intelligence... right, my dearies? :o

Emotional intelligence was invented to make oversensetive people feel better about bein dumb :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Christ, these IQ threads are so interminably cringy. Genius IQs left right and centre, followed by the concession of "social retardation" and a lack of faith in the value of a high IQ to soften the blow of the enormous etiquette breech that publicly claiming to be a genius obviously is.

Sure I might be wrong, but I would be utterly stupefied if even 5% of the scores of 120+ were anything close to accurate. And I'll go on the record as being a self confessed thick who in all likelihood would score below the national average on an IQ test, just to avoid looking like a big ol' begrudging prick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Take_Her_Handy

I've had 5 IQ tests and they average out at 123! I'm quite happy with this because my clever little IQ can count as well :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I've had 5 IQ tests and they average out at 123

Are you smarter on some days than others ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Wibbs wrote: »
    To see the potential in someone a mix of tests would be required. The "best" people would have a balance across the various tests. I'd say they're the rarest of the lot though. Even at that point the ability to have novel approaches to problems might be missed(or tactical thinking). The "imagination quotient". Dunno how one would measure that though. Clearly I lack imagination :D

I'm liking this idea...the Intellectual Decathlon. I shall start my training immediately!

*Cue montage of sudoku, crosswords and creative writing*

Edit: Yes there are 7 more intellectual disciplines in this Decathlon. But they are currently being kept on the Q.T :D

I'm liking this idea...the Intellectual Decathlon. I shall start my training immediately!

*Cue montage of sudoku, crosswords and creative writing*

I hate sudoku
    it's the same bloody thing over and over and over
    you can mix around the numbers but it's still the same
    don't get the buzz about it at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

bluewolf wrote: »
    I hate sudoku
    it's the same bloody thing over and over and over
    you can mix around the numbers but it's still the same
    don't get the buzz about it at all

Don't be a Buzz Killington on my witty post :pac:

But yes...sudoku is fun the first three times you do it. Then it gets boring. A bit like Solitaire. It loses appeal once you have finished it once.

Crosswords are the best puzzle for keeping mentally sharp.

Don't be a Buzz Killington on my witty post :pac:

But yes...sudoku is fun the first three times you do it. Then it gets boring. A bit like Solitaire. It loses appeal once you have finished it once.

Crosswords are the best puzzle for keeping mentally sharp.

sorry :D
    that's true, though i don't do them often
    too much else going on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭EKClarke

Tbf most people who score high in I.Q. tests are those with aspergers and if your good at maths you'll score higher. Like I can hardly count, still have issues with knowing my left side from my right. When I was 5 I learned to tie my shoe laces for a week and then forgot until I was 7 and I regularly once a year lose my vocabulary yet I'm brilliant at algebra yet can't do long division and I add and subtract at a 1st class level. I could quote a lot of major works of literature and I'm in the small percent of people who can remember what they read yet at times I actually could be classed as borderline retarded because I have suffered from brain damage as a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Emotional intelligence was invented to make oversensetive people feel better about bein dumb :D

High EQers should be able to handle it if they've a low IQ anyway. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

Dean09 wrote: »
    For the craic I took the test on this website http://www.intelligencetest.com/report/index.htm
    and I got 107. I'd say that's wildly inaccurate. It's a test with 30 questions. Well I'm really tired so that's my excuse anyway :pac:

I just did it and got 121 but I skipped through the first few til i got into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I suppose it's somewhere between 60 and 140.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

moco wrote: »
    I just did it and got 121 but I skipped through the first few til i got into it.

I got 132 in that. Realised one of the mistakes I made but didn't have time to correct it or to concentrate on the last question as I got a call in work in the middle of the test. Good fun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

8 inches...wait, what was the question again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

8 inches...wait, what was the question again?

Yeah I think with that to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

44leto wrote: »
    A myth, we are posting from a machine in a system that operates on its principles, among other things.
    Not a myth at all. Just because quantum mechanics can be exploited doesnt mean its understood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

So has anyone actually been honest here (apart from myself of course)? Given the standard of posting in AH, forgive me if I find it hard to believe that it is populated by those of above average intelligence. Or am I actually surrounded by PhDs?

Although not a perfect measure (as everyones opportunities differ) a persons achievements in academics and business would probably give a more realistic measure of intelligence. These values can be correlated to IQ ranges.

At the moment it seems people here are pulling figures out of their arse to inflate their feeling of self worth. You're fooling no one people, apart from yourselves perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Not a myth at all. Just because quantum mechanics can be exploited doesnt mean its understood.

The mathematics is understood just not the processes. Maths can do that, for example, it can predict a singularity but we may not understand what that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

So has anyone actually been honest here (apart from myself of course)? Given the standard of posting in AH, forgive me if I find it hard to believe that it is populated by those of above average intelligence. Or am I actually surrounded by PhDs?

Although not a perfect measure (as everyones opportunities differ) a persons achievements in academics and business would probably give a more realistic measure of intelligence. These values can be correlated to IQ ranges.

At the moment it seems people here are pulling figures out of their arse to inflate their feeling of self worth. You're fooling no one people, apart from yourselves perhaps.

Iv a piece of paper to prove it :P mwahahahaha

Well I just posted the result I got from the test that was linked. I also, when reading about Mensa as it was being discussed in the thread, did this quiz on their site and got 28 out of 30.

Both of those things are completely honest. Why would you lie about something like this though? It's not as if someone's going to be on Boards in a few months' time and go, "Oh that's person x, I remember them saying they've got an IQ of 140, I better take their view on this mater seriously". We're on a message board. How could lying make any difference to your life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Sorry oppenheimer, just because i am smart doesn't mean i am not allowed to laugh at dick jokes.

I can split my time quite easily between reading "Simulacra and Simulation" and watching South Park.

It's foolish to think that the posting in AH is indicative of anyone's intelligence when the very nature of the environment that is After Hours will result in a more juvenile style of posting.

Sorry oppenheimer, just because i am smart doesn't mean i am not allowed to laugh at dick jokes.

I can split my time quite easily between reading "Simulacra and Simulation" and watching South Park.

It's foolish to think that the posting in AH is indicative of anyone's intelligence when the very nature of the environment that is After Hours will result in a more juvenile style of posting.

I never said that posting in AH was indicative of someones intellect. What I did day was I found it hard to believe that almost everyone here has an intelligence above 115 and no one has said they have an IQ of less than 100 (except myself)as far as I can see. Given the mean is at 100 or there abouts and there are 13 pages of posts, I would have expected more than one.

Yes the style of posting is often juvenile here. Style is not a real give away of the intelligence behind the post, the construction of the argument is. In AH it is often lacking, to the point of non-existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I never said that posting in AH was indicative of someones intellect. What I did day was I found it hard to believe that almost everyone here has an intelligence above 115 and no one has said they have an IQ of less than 100 (except myself)as far as I can see. Given the mean is at 100 or there abouts and there are 13 pages of posts, I would have expected more than one.

Yes the style of posting is often juvenile here. Style is not a real give away of the intelligence behind the post, the construction of the argument is. In AH it is often lacking, to the point of non-existence.

I'll agree with that. But once again it's more of an environmental issue. AH doesn't reward well structured argument, it rewards humour and trolling to an unfortunate degree.

I'm also struggling to think of a valid reason for the average person to have an IQ test and there isn't really one. The vast majority of the people i know have never taken an IQ test.

My issue is not with what you were saying, it was with the apparent whitewashing of anyone who claimed to have a high IQ.

I'll agree with that. But once again it's more of an environmental issue. AH doesn't reward well structured argument, it rewards humour and trolling to an unfortunate degree.

I'm also struggling to think of a valid reason for the average person to have an IQ test and there isn't really one. The vast majority of the people i know have never taken an IQ test.

My issue is not with what you were saying, it was with the apparent whitewashing of anyone who claimed to have a high IQ.

I thought most schools run the DAT Form T test, which is a kind of intelligence test. It gives the result in percentile, but that can be roughly converted to IQ.

I didn't intend to whitewash all high scorers who post here. On second reading of my post I should have said "some people" .There are some that are exaggerating their score though. They have no reason to, except to make themselves feel better. I guess thats their prerogative.

I thought most schools run the DAT Form T test, which is a kind of intelligence test. It gives the result in percentile, but that can be roughly converted to IQ.

I didn't intend to whitewash all high scorers who post here. On second reading of my post I should have said "some people" .There are some that are exaggerating their score though. They have no reason to, except to make themselves feel better. I guess thats their prerogative.

the thing is though, scoring high on an iq test has nearly no overlap into real life and there for no reason to feel good about yourself!

Yeah I just don't understand how lying to a bunch of strangers would make you feel good about yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Take_Her_Handy

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Are you smarter on some days than others ?

Don't know! TBH, The two days I took the tests after I've had a few scoops were my best results.... Hmmmm, explain that one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

114 but that was 7 yrs ago, and i went over the time limit by five mins. In the 93rd percentile for reading ability tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

IQ tests don't reflect your intelligence if you have dyslexia but through my screening I scored abnormally high in vocab, general knowledge and visual intelligence.
    I don't feel like I have a high vocabulary but convoluted words just appear out of nowhere.

See, I don't even mean to do it, it just happens :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I wouldn't. Why would you assume that? Boards' users are, in the main, young, computer literate and about 80% male.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8

saa wrote: »
    IQ tests don't reflect your intelligence if you have dyslexia but through my screening I scored abnormally high in vocab, general knowledge and visual intelligence.
    I don't feel like I have a high vocabulary but convoluted words just appear out of nowhere.

See, I don't even mean to do it, it just happens :(

They assess dyslexia by measuring you IQ and then comparing that score to your reading comprehension and written abilities. The difference in predicted abilities according to your IQ and your actual performance is how they assess if you are mildly, moderately, highly or not dyslexic at all.

The problem with this assessment method is that part of the IQ test is written so a person with dyslexia may actually be more intelligent than the IQ test finds them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ive 12Iq's i does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Christ, these IQ threads are so interminably cringy. Genius IQs left right and centre, followed by the concession of "social retardation" and a lack of faith in the value of a high IQ to soften the blow of the enormous etiquette breech that publicly claiming to be a genius obviously is.

Sure I might be wrong, but I would be utterly stupefied if even 5% of the scores of 120+ were anything close to accurate. And I'll go on the record as being a self confessed thick who in all likelihood would score below the national average on an IQ test, just to avoid looking like a big ol' begrudging prick!

Yet, you write better than this chap.
    retalivity wrote: »
    done the mensa one when i was 12, got 138.

got kicked out of mensa a few years ago cos i didnt pay my subscriptions. being a member never done anything for me.

done another IQ test a few months ago as part of a job application, scored 148. Think that swung it for me...

So what you say may well be true.

eilo1 wrote: »
    the thing is though, scoring high on an iq test has nearly no overlap into real life and there for no reason to feel good about yourself!

it does actually. Although past 120 the correlation between pay and IQ falls off.

Yahew wrote: »
    it does actually. Although past 120 the correlation between pay and IQ falls off.

Any thing to back that up with? Im supposed to be "gifted" still went to rugby without my gum shield on Wednesday didn't I.

Any thing to back that up with? Im supposed to be "gifted" still went to rugby without my gum shield on Wednesday didn't I.

The correlation between IQ and Pay?

Here

http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2008/02/06/correlations-of-iq-with-income-and-wealth/

It falls down when you measure wealth, presumably because most large wealth is inherited.

The correlation between IQ and Pay?

Here

http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2008/02/06/correlations-of-iq-with-income-and-wealth/

It falls down when you measure wealth, presumably because most large wealth is inherited.

I was talking about real life, as in day to day living, you are only looking at income. My point is that you can have a massive IQ and still be a very average person. Still do lots of silly things, make lots of mistakes, be ditzy or incompetent at certain things.

I was talking about real life, as in day to day living, you are only looking at income. My point is that you can have a massive IQ and still be a very average person. Still do lots of silly things, make lots of mistakes, be ditzy or incompetent at certain things.

I have no idea how to answer this. You asked, originally about pay. I posted the statistical facts where are about real life, IQ and income correlate. IQ and wealth doesn't. Also there is some indication that high IQ'd people have as much debt as lower IQ'd people. while mid-IQ people have less. Having higher income does not mean you save it.

IQ and ditiziness - I personally think there is a link there, as high IQ'd people would be in their head a lot of the time, and forget the world, but I can't prove it.

Its a hard one to study :-)

I have no idea how to answer this. I posted the statistical facts where are about real life, IQ and income correlate. IQ and wealth doesn't. As for IQ and debt, I am unsure. Having higher income does not mean you save it.

No I think you have totally misunderstood me. originally I said "the thing is though, scoring high on an iq test has nearly no overlap into real life and there for no reason to feel good about yourself!"

You came back and said "it does actually" and then went on about income.

Your only looking at what a person earns as to how iq affects their life.
    You are excluding social factors. I was thinking about all the stupid little day to day things that I do, that my supposedly high iq doesn't shield me from doing. Obviously a high iq makes it easier to attain a profession but it doesnt stop me being stupid at times.

Advertisement