Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry welcomes proposed VAT hike

Options
  • 23-11-2011 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

HE CHIEF executive of the Chamber of Commerce in Derry says she believes the proposed VAT increase in the Republic from 21 per cent to 23 per cent will have a beneficial knock-on effect for businesses.

Sinéad McLaughlin said that in the Foyleside shopping centre’s car parks last Saturday and Sunday, a quarter of the cars had Republic registration plates, most of them from Co Donegal.

“We in the chamber do believe that the VAT increase to be announced by the Dublin government will result in more and more people from Donegal and from wider afield in the Republic of Ireland coming to Derry to do their Christmas shopping.

“With the value of the euro at £0.86, roughly the same as this time last year, we expect the extra 2 per cent in terms of the VAT increase to work in our favour.”

Conversely, the sentiment south of the Border in Dundalk, Co Louth, is that the VAT increase will hurt business in the town, which is about 10 miles from the Border.

Read more

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Id say the business people in the North are delighted with our inept governments stupidity of a proposed vat increase. I for one, anything that can be ordered online or bought outside this banana republic, I will do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

RobitTV wrote: »
    Sinéad McLaughlin said that in the Foyleside shopping centre’s car parks last Saturday and Sunday, a quarter of the cars had Republic registration plates, most of them from Co Donegal.

I hate this type of crap.

She forgets to mention that a quarter of the catchment area for foyleside is in the republic and even if it was 20% dearer than Dublin, there would still be 25% southern reged cars there.

d'oh

On the other foot - 25% of cars in McElhilnneys car park in Ballbofey are Northern Registered cars on any given saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

This will all change when Wal-Mart comes to Ireland. Our retail market lacks competition at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Skopzz wrote: »
    This will all change when Wal-Mart comes to Ireland. Our retail market lacks competition at present.

So no change anytime soon so...... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Skopzz wrote: »

for a little country of 4.6million (smaller than manchester) we have Tesco, Dunnes, Supervalu, Superquinn, Lidl, Aldi & Eurospar.

Thats quite healthy.

The only reason Asda haven't moved down is becasue they don't see any opportunity.

btw - was in an asda a few weeks ago on one of my frequent family trips to the old homestead in Antrim and I can say I had no inkling to buy anythign more than what was needed for the couple of days I was up there as I saw very little if any overall price difference and many many prices that were quite a bit higher than my local tesco in Naas.

btw the vat increase will not apply to normal foodstuffs, just to items already at 21% vat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Did a bit of grocery shopping (3 or 4 not Food Items aswell) in Asda last week, their really isin't much to gain anymore folks.

That was my last time up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

maxer68 wrote: »
    I hate this type of crap.

She forgets to mention that a quarter of the catchment area for foyleside is in the republic and even if it was 20% dearer than Dublin, there would still be 25% southern reged cars there.

d'oh

On the other foot - 25% of cars in McElhilnneys car park in Ballbofey are Northern Registered cars on any given saturday.

They could be VRT dodgers travelling in packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

maxer68 wrote: »
    for a little country of 4.6million (smaller than manchester) we have Tesco, Dunnes, Supervalu, Superquinn, Lidl, Aldi & Eurospar.

Thats quite healthy.

The only reason Asda haven't moved down is becasue they don't see any opportunity.

btw - was in an asda a few weeks ago on one of my frequent family trips to the old homestead in Antrim and I can say I had no inkling to buy anythign more than what was needed for the couple of days I was up there as I saw very little if any overall price difference and many many prices that were quite a bit higher than my local tesco in Naas.

btw the vat increase will not apply to normal foodstuffs, just to items already at 21% vat

Asda is quite manky. I have been to the one in Dundonald, East Belfast. It is like shopping in iron curtain Bulgaria. I also know the one in Clapham Junction in London and it is not much better.

Wal-Mart won't make that much of a difference.

Advertisement