Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting for good

• 23-11-2011 12:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭

Just another generic quitting thread but I'm putting this out there more for myself than anything! Hope ye don't mind me babbling on. So I'm 24 hours into quitting completely. I've been smoking 3-4 packs a week for three years now. Cravings seem manageable at the minute they have been fairly constant all day when I'm not kept busy but I'm coping ok I think. I'm going completely cold turkey so I'm looking forward to the physical cravings dying down. I think I'll manage the psychological ones much better. *fingers crossed*

My main reasons for quitting are health related. I work in the hospital and study health science everyday so I think it has finally scared me into taking the bull by the horns. Also the beginnings of a relationship with someone I like a lot who says quitting was a precondition gave me that final push! What ever it takes eh?

I still have the majority of a packet left because it just struck me last night when I was walking home that it was the right time to quit so I think it shows I'm more committed this time than ever before since I would def have cracked and given in by now with them sitting there looking at me.

Day 2 tomorrow: Wish me luck :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Babble away. It's what helped me through it. I babbled here daily while I was quitting. Cravings are tough but they don't last long - hang tough for a couple of minutes and they pass. Keep checking back in here - we are all here to support you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭WhosUpDocs

Thanks for the encouragement!! Day 3 over, still going strong :) Cravings have died down a lot; they're now weaker and more infrequent! Coping well in general, keeping busy helps. Still feel very committed to quitting so that's a big plus. Stick with it for a few days anyone who's reading this in a similar situation. It get easier as time goes by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Day 3 is a big one to get over. Nicotine has now actually left the building.

Cravings will keep coming back - strong and weak ones. But just breath through them and you'll get past them. 7 days will be another cravings peak. Get a net of satsumas. When you get a craving peel one. When you've finished peeling the craving will be gone and you can eat the orange instead. Win-Win.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Rabid50

Rabid50

Day 25 and the Nicabate Minis are winning. I am feeling really good. My health is noticeably improved. I hardly cough at all and my breathing is easier. I have cut down on the patches and have had a few extra strong cravings that I have beaten. I feel I can cope this coming week. Still fighting the effects of insomnia (a side effect of the patches) and that's why I cut back on the patches. Just believe in yourself and use those supports and even a give in weaky can make it.
    Lots of luck to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

keep up the good work. I'm waiting until after xmas to quit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Hawkeyes

Orion wrote: »
    Day 3 is a big one to get over. Nicotine has now actually left the building.

Cravings will keep coming back - strong and weak ones. But just breath through them and you'll get past them. 7 days will be another cravings peak. Get a net of satsumas. When you get a craving peel one. When you've finished peeling the craving will be gone and you can eat the orange instead. Win-Win.

I'm on day seven now, and it's the worst yet! (first time trying to quit)

I went to the pub saturday night and had a few drinks with a mate (quiting buddy) and somehow resisted those Evil urges,which is more than I can say for said mate.Just coming up to closing time and where do i find him,out the front puffing away!And he only smokes at the weekends as it is.Was really dissapionted.

Does anyone else suffer from sweating? Every night whilst trying to sleep I start to boil up.My hair was soaking when i woke up this morning.

I'm going cold turkey BTW,about 15 years smoking,was on 20 a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 eleven1

my brother in law used to smoke , he was a heavy smoker for 2 decades or a bit longer , than 1 day he said enough , since that day his mind went blank as if cigarettes didn't exist any more in this world , and he made it look so easily . inspired by that , i did it too . and i think it is all in the brain & the will power . if you are determine to do it no matter what . it will b very easy .and remember if u can do it for a day, a day without smoking, that is a proof that you are able to quit smoking and you should quit and your body is telling you yes i can cope without cigarettes.

Advertisement