Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Eircom the best DSL provider?

• 23-11-2011 1:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

Not that I'm biased in any way, I have been with Eircom for about a year and have had not a single issue. Speed is consistent and I have never had an outage. Only gripe I have is the dam cost.

So is Eircom my best bet? Would you recommend I stay with them or move to a cheaper provider? and if so, who would you recommend?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

yenoah wrote: »
    Not that I'm biased in any way, I have been with Eircom for about a year and have had not a single issue. Speed is consistent and I have never had an outage. Only gripe I have is the dam cost.

So is Eircom my best bet? Would you recommend I stay with them or move to a cheaper provider? and if so, who would you recommend?

Depends on your location.
    If you can get UPC - get it. Best bb in Ireland. IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭yenoah

F1ngers wrote: »

Is that a cable product? Urban only?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

F1ngers wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

If UPC is not an option try Homevision

I work from home a lot and my original eircom service really slow so 2 years ago I upgrade to the eircom 24MB service (home business or something) - they tested my line said it could get 16mb. Ended up with a connection of 12MB and never got more that 8MB on Speedtest normally at 5 or 6.

Moved to homevision's 10MB service and regularly get 10.5MB using Speedtest. This is using the same ADSL router eircom had supplied.

I'm in Co Cork btw and the cost including line rental and some call package is €40 pm - oh and I am not affiliated with homevision in any way other than being a customer.

I'm on Eircom 24Mb and connect at 20Mb, getting a good steady 2MB download speed. The thing that really kills of course is the upload speed. We really need decent asynchronous technologies is this day and age. My dsl limits me to an upload speed of less than 1Mb. I live in rural Ireland so no cable available to me.

Its no good any more. These days people need to work from home, upload video, host web services, host their TV (via specific set top boxes) etc. There is a real need now for highh capacity upload as well as download. And the caps that are still common place, are also outdated. I would happily use 300GB a month download.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

yenoah I couldn't agree more. I'm on 10mb, which is fine, barely notice the difference with the 5mb I previously had.

But the upload speed (600k) is a killer. Takes so long to upload pics and video and use cloud services. Just not good enough in this day and age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

Im with eircom now aswell, the service is spot on i have to say, i know you have to pay the line rental but in the end you get what you pay for. I was with a few different providers before, speed was ok but other then that just hassle in every aspect, from billing issues to customer care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

To answer the op ,no .Eircom are a joke.

We've been eircom for ages, only a few niggles with the service until we upgraded to their so called next generation broadband. Nothing but problems with the connection since then. If UPC were an option here I'd drop eircom immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Put it this way Eircom are more stable than Vodafone,
    Please avoid Vodafone at all costs have also heard good things about Digiweb!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

jay93 wrote: »
    Put it this way Eircom are more stable than Vodafone,
    Please avoid Vodafone at all costs have also heard good things about Digiweb!

Digiweb are great! Just dont go over the download limit ' they will limit your speed :/

Cool :)
    Do they overcharge at all for over usage or so they just limit the internet speed?

Just had a Vodafone sales rep at the door earlier trying to sell us broadband :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

jay93 wrote: »
    Cool :)
    Do they overcharge at all for over usage or so they just limit the internet speed?

Just had a Vodafone sales rep at the door earlier trying to sell us broadband :rolleyes::rolleyes:

They limit the speed. The details are here . I have been with them for over 3 months now and we havent been slowed down yet. I know that we definately exceeded
    '120%' of our cap which would be 72gigs(60gig guideline) by at least 40gigs last week and they didn't do anything. This may be because it cost them very little for data usage on dsl. But on metro you will get throttled :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Are you enabled for 'NGB' or is it standard eircom 24Mb?

The NGB 24Mb one is €62 whereas standard eircom 24Mb is €70 (both are off-peak calls)

Im on standard 24Mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

On that basis, I can't see why you would consider Digiweb.

As is you pay Eircom €70 for 24Mb (no download cap).
    Where as Digiweb it's €70 for 24Mb (150GB rolling cap).

(Vodafone don't have their prices up, only the NGB ones)

Also keep in mind that Vodafone only supplies upto 3Mb on non NGB packages.
    So if your not in an NGB area you will get a max of 3Mb which i think is crazy as all other proivders can offer standard broadband packages upto 7Mb or 24Mb!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

To have quality broadband in your home here one has to pay excessive prices to have it. That's Ireland for you!

I honestly, truly, don't believe the service Eircom provides is worth the money i pay out for it every month. The problem as i see it is, i have no choice, unless i want no broadband at all!

I have broadband DSL connection service of 7 meg and 312 Upload with them. Have it six years, i think?.. I also play lot of X box live thats why i want the highest connection possible, but can't get it.

Eircom upload is just horrible never mind the download, but will do. This speed is ok for browsing the internet, but useless for gaming. X box live requires you to have least 1meg upload to host a quality game. 312 kB will only allow you to play, but you'll lag in lot of games online.

I have friend in Scotland, and he only pays six uk pounds for 12 meg and I upload just shows how backward we are really doesn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭e-Mo0?

Currently with eircom and having horrible lag in the evening. I've been told this is normal :rolleyes: Guessing its something to do with the exchange, is there any point in switching ISP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,251 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

KIERAN1 wrote: »
    To have quality broadband in your home here one has to pay excessive prices to have it. That's Ireland for you!

I honestly, truly, don't believe the service Eircom provides is worth the money i pay out for it every month. The problem as i see it is, i have no choice, unless i want no broadband at all!

I have broadband DSL connection service of 7 meg and 312 Upload with them. Have it six years, i think?.. I also play lot of X box live thats why i want the highest connection possible, but can't get it.

Eircom upload is just horrible never mind the download, but will do. This speed is ok for browsing the internet, but useless for gaming. X box live requires you to have least 1meg upload to host a quality game. 312 kB will only allow you to play, but you'll lag in lot of games online.

I have friend in Scotland, and he only pays six uk pounds for 12 meg and I upload just shows how backward we are really doesn't it.

Not everyone in Scotland is getting what your friend has. Some people can't get any service at all.

http://www.broadband4ruralscotland.org/the-campaign/

• Advertisement
Advertisement