Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to brisbane on WHV for about 7 months in new year, looking for advice please!

Options
  • 23-11-2011 1:45am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

So am going to brisbane to look for work before I head back to college in september.

First time in australia and am heading on my own :(

21/yo male from waterford also.

I know a few people on the gold coast, but they all have full time jobs so it will be up to me to get settled in the first few days on my own.

So, im looking for a few tips and advice about brisbane.

What hostels would you recommend for staying in when I first get there? Ideally id like a private single room for at least the first few weeks until im settled, and wont be going over to go partying, so would like it to be quite enough and secure, if there is even any hostels like that in brisbane :pac:

Ill be heading to the gold coast for when ill be going out.

Should I use a hostel or is there anything else I should be looking for?

Also any advice for looking for jobs in brisbane? Dont have a degree yet, am in the middle of a course, took a year out, so will be trying for sales work or something like that. I will probably take whatever im offered though as im looking to get a job as soon as possible.

Ideally, id like to get work to do with animals as I have experience there. So perhaps working in a zoo, pet store etc.

Any advice welcome cheers!, just am nervous and scared about this journey, but a bit excited at the same time, as looking forward to venturing away from same old Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭smartblaa

Howya,
    I'm 25 M also from Waterford, and heading out in January on my own aswell.
    Starting in Cairns, but heading to Brisbane with a view to staying there.

For hostels check out the likes of www.hostelworld.com
    You can check the ratings of the hostels so you'll find one that's not full of party-goers.

Work-wise, i'm hoping to pick up some IT work, or maybe some farmwork in order to get my 2nd year WHV.

Best of luck! :-)

Advertisement