Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Are ya awrite dere?"

• 23-11-2011 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

One thing that always cracks me up down the country is when you walk into a shop and the young wans working there always say "are ya awrite dere?"

To which I sometimes reply "I'm fine, how are you?"

Then they often look at me in a puzzled way and repeat "are ya awrite there?"

I mean why can't they say "Can I help you?" Like they do in most other English speaking countries??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

This will not end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

I'm assuming you have experience with rural shopkeepers in most English speaking countries then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

ichonk wrote: »
    One thing that always cracks me up down the country is when you walk into a shop and the young wans working there always say "are ya awrite dere?"

I mean why can't they say "Can I help you?" Like they do in most other English speaking countries??

People from different countries speak in different ways, even when speaking the same language.
    Deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ichonk

People from different countries speak in different ways, even when speaking the same language.
    Deal with it.

Im not giving out about it, and I said in my OP that it cracks me up, as in I find it funny.

In fact I'd be very dissapointed if from tomorrow, all the young wans working in shops started saying "Can I help you?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

It means they know you are shoplifting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I just reply "No" and don't say anything else. Confuses the **** out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

twud be just the same if someone said it cracked them up when people called other people 'young wans'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Im not giving out about it, and I said in my OP that it cracks me up, as in I find it funny.

In fact I'd be very dissapointed if from tomorrow, all the young wans working in shops started saying "Can I help you?"

I don't see why it cracks you up at all. I've heard people in plenty of english speaking countries ask 'Are you ok?' in the same situation. I'd go as far as to say it's more common than 'Can i help you'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Bugs the sh1te outta me when people in shops up the country say 'um yaaahhh, can I, loike, help you??'

Or even worse, when they just throw their eyes to heaven as if you're putting them out by giving your business to their establishment....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

The irony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

I thought only dubs said that.:confused::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I hate it when your in a shop in dublin and the shopkeeper says "are ya awright for heroin bud?" and then theres a gang shooting outside the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Opposite happens to me, I arrive into work (in a pub) and theres a line of regulars along the bar and I say "Ye alright" as a greeting and the majority look at their pints and say their fine for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

It's a local shop, for local people. There's nothing for you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

When I get asked 'do you have a club-card'? I sometimes reply 'nope, do you'? Just for the hilarity of it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

You get annoyed very easily.

Relax man, life is easier that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

When I get asked 'do you have a club-card'? I sometimes reply 'nope, do you'? Just for the hilarity of it all.
    Oh ya wee pup ya!

Whatever will we do with you?

Are you awrite, ave yer got a loite there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Davidson2k9

Do you get annoyed when you're abroad and they ask you it in their own language?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Oh, you're one of those people. I see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I used to say that when I worked in a shop.:mad:

Has OP never noticed it's the same in the City, just with "bud?" at the end?

"Yah royt derr bud?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

You remind me of an old teacher that when some one said "Can I go to the toilet, sir?", he'd go "I dunno, can you?". Then he'd reply that the "correct" form was "May I go to the toilet". I had to listen to him make that remark every week for two years. He knew what was meant but he kept doing it; standing people up in the middle of class and humiliating them. That snooty way of acting makes my blood boil. There is no misunderstand or ambiguity, it is just a putdown used to make other people feel small.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Couldn't have said it better myself ^^^

I worked in retail in the past and dealing with the public you come across plenty of people like this..

Everyone knows that asking someone "are you ok there?" when they're queuing up in front of you is the same as any other way of asking "May I help you/are you being looked after/may I take your order" etc etc..

It's a long and hard enough day for someone dealing with the public without some jumped up little prick coming along with such smart arsed comments.

Sarcasm really is the lowest form of wit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

OP what are you on about? I'm from 'the country' and i've only ever heard that in dublin.

Unfortunately, I think we may have had the same teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Jaysus, some Dublin people seem to suffer acute culture shock if they go much beyond Newlands Cross and discover that some people in those remote and unknown regions follow clichéd behaviour patterns that are not exactly the same as those by which the Dubs live.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

They need to get around a bit more. And some of them need to get a life as well.:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

OP what are you on about? I'm from 'the country' and i've only ever heard that in dublin.

Same I read the op in a Dublin accent. Although Im sure it said like that by many people all around
    Anyway, what the f*ck does it matter. Some different thing is said in every damn county. I don't pay attention to such miniscule crap, I have more important things to get worked up about. Like why there isn't any f**kin custard creams left at tea time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I'm confused. Why would people from the country talk like dublin scumbags (dere) or d4 legends (loike). Whenever I have to go into a country shop the shopkeep barks like a dog in his bastardised tongue and I just smile and nod and look at the register to see how much precious dublin coin the worthless culchie desires. But that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

They don't want to help you, they are asking if you are alright.

Perhaps you look sickly, or have forgotten to tuck your penis into your pants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

If it's a newsagents you can just say 'I'm grand. I'm only lookin at the milk and the bars. You have lovely bars'. That'll confuse the fuk out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Maybe you forgot to take off your strait jacket OP? People don't wear them in the outside world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

ColHol wrote: »
    I hate it when your in a shop in dublin and the shopkeeper says "are ya awright for heroin bud?" and then theres a gang shooting outside the door

im never going to do my Xmas shopping in Tallaght ever again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Jesus OP, you really have little to be worrying about don't you. Get back to your precious Dublin and stay there if it annoys you so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

You remind me of an old teacher that when some one said "Can I go to the toilet, sir?", he'd go "I dunno, can you?". Then he'd reply that the "correct" form was "May I go to the toilet". I had to listen to him make that remark every week for two years. He knew what was meant but he kept doing it; standing people up in the middle of class and humiliating them. That snooty way of acting makes my blood boil. There is no misunderstand or ambiguity, it is just a putdown used to make other people feel small.

So after listening to him correct you every week for two years you still didn't just say it the way he wanted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Sykk wrote: »
    So after listening to him correct you every week for two years you still didn't just say it the way he wanted?

where'd be the fun in that? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

In school we had a teacher that was exactly the same and while waiting for one of the lads to ask the question correctly, instead of just letting him go as he was in a bad way, the guy shat himself.

True story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Glenster wrote: »
    I'm confused. Why would people from the country talk like dublin scumbags (dere) or d4 legends (loike). Whenever I have to go into a country shop the shopkeep barks like a dog in his bastardised tongue and I just smile and nod and look at the register to see how much precious dublin coin the worthless culchie desires. But that's just me.

as if dublin coin means alot to us. . .means feck all in fairness.if its from dubland chances are its been handed round through every person that sells the big issue. .you know the ones. .with the gold teeth. .

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

You remind me of an old teacher that when some one said "Can I go to the toilet, sir?", he'd go "I dunno, can you?".

You should have said "well you senile old bastard I do not have the ability to go to the toilet until I receive your permission. Therefore I am accurate in asking you to confer it on me."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

"Are you alright there Sharon?"

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

If everyone says that to you every time you walk into a shop OP, then you must look like a rabbit in headlights all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I bloody hate when people say "well" as an introduction. "Well what?":eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

ColHol wrote: »

Case closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Keep living on the wild side there Chuck...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

John Doe1 wrote: »

I like it.its funny walking down the road in my home village, well...well... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

I like it.its funny walking down the road in my home village, well...well... :D

This is the normal greeting in Tipp.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

IrishZeus wrote: »

In donegal it a nice and proper "how are ye sir" not just some random word

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

IrishZeus wrote: »

In Arklow, the greeting is "Good" (or at least it used to be when I was a nipper). Confuses the fuck out of non-natives. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

Sykk wrote: »

He never actually done it to me. But I was part of a small math class and when we had "free classes" we had to sit in the back of his class and he did it to the first years.

Quite the bastard so he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Well (hehe) if you're in Waterford it'll be wellllll boiiii! or wellllllll girrlll! regardless of actual age. It's infectious too. I'm not from Waterford originally and I say it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Hilarious. I like this guy!

He thought you a very valuable lesson. You should thank him really....

• Advertisement
Advertisement