Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy memories of Christmas

• 23-11-2011 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

My first post on Boards.ie:)
    As it's coming up to Christmas I was thinking about when I was young and what made Christmas special for me and my family. For me it was all the family going to midnight mass together (there was something special about the Christmas vigil)I know !!!!! and coming home to a big fryup at two o'clock in the morning, my Mum would put the ham on before we went to mass and the smell of the ham cooking when we went into the house was just fantastic,but the best of all was we as a family were gathered together for a few days and oh the joy,laughter and fun we had.:D
    What are your happy memories of Christmas when you were young ?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

My first post on Boards.ie:)
    As it's coming up to Christmas I was thinking about when I was young and what made Christmas special for me and my family. For me it was all the family going to midnight mass together (there was something special about the Christmas vigil)I know !!!!! and coming home to a big fryup at two o'clock in the morning, my Mum would put the ham on before we went to mass and the smell of the ham cooking when we went into the house was just fantastic,but the best of all was we as a family were gathered together for a few days and oh the joy,laughter and fun we had.:D
    What are your happy memories of Christmas when you were young ?

We went to mass at midnight in town and had great crack with the christmas candles with paper thingys there (I won't forget that). Then at one in the morning we would go home and wake to santa at 6am. We would have turkey/goose then on Christmas Day with neighbors and family.

We still do that even as were older :) I love christmas hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Is this post not more suited to the 'Christmas' Forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

I've never enjoyed Christmas difficult time for me personally

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    Is this post not more suited to the 'Christmas' Forum?

Not if people want to discuss Clare only Christmas memories.

A friend of mine always tells a story of when they were younger a local man used to go around to all the children in the locality on Christmas Eve giving them their presents, he was a large man with a beard, the parents used to meet him at the door and give him the presents to give to the kids, brought a real sense of occasion to the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mrswhiplash47

nicechick! wrote: »
    I am so sorry to hear Christmas is not a good time for you nicechick,we forget it can be a very lonely time for some people.
    I am so blessed to have happy memories of Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

nicechick! wrote: »
    I can empathise with this, as a child, I associated Christmas with loss, my grandparents, on different years died on December 26th and 27th, so Christmas Day was spent in hospitals and the days after Christmas were spent attending funerals. Then the following years, we attended their anniversary masses. It has always made me acutely aware of the fact that Christmas can be a very difficult and painful time for some families.

Now that I'm an adult and I have a young child of my own, I love Christmas, visiting the cribs, attending the Christmas market in Killaloe, taking my five year old to the see the film the "The Snowman" in the local Cinema, visiting family throughout the county, taking by child to the "Toy Mass", a special Christmas mass for children, attending the annual Christmas Day swim in Killaloe before having Christmas dinner and settling down to watch "A Wonderful Life :)

Advertisement