Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you worry much?

• 23-11-2011 5:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

I find myself worrying more and more every day. There's always something or someone else to worry about. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Have you tried drinking yourself into a stupor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Have you tried drinking yourself into a stupor?

Been trying that for years. It's got old of a sudden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

what do you worry about ?

psychward wrote: »
    what do you worry about ?

My family mainly, my friends too, the country. Lots of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Sounds like anxiety, Scientician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Certain things worry me, I'm in Oz at moment and I be worrying about family at home, something bad happening scares me.
    But touch wood they won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Apologies for that stupid thanks whoring comment.

I would say you should maybe talk to someone you trust about it. Might help work it out a bit for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

My family mainly, my friends too, the country. Lots of things.

is it ever anything specific like a specific bad thing happened that worries you or is it highly generalized/speculative ? If yourself, your family and friends have their health then theres no reason for anyone to throw in the towel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I find myself worrying more and more every day. There's always something or someone else to worry about. :(

Be philosophical and don't think about it.:D:D Listen to some nice music instead.;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nDClh9NpZw

Apologies for that stupid thanks whoring comment.

I would say you should maybe talk to someone you trust about it. Might help work it out a bit for you.

Ah no need to apologise, I posted this in AH didn't I? :)

• Advertisement

Was never a worrier as far as I can remember.. From family to exams to driving tests to health to tricky spots in Asia. Things generally work themselves out just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Yup.
    I tend not to worry about probable events, more so the obscure will never happen sort of ones.
    Bit silly really, but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Van Wilder: Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere !

I never worry. It shall change nothing ! And luckily I've never had anything to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Yup. Worrying right now. But with good reason.

"There's no point in worrying, so don't." What BS that sentiment is. Worry has nothing to with logic - it's an emotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Fair point but it's still illogical and irrational.

dave3004 wrote: »

Not disputing that.

Logic and emotions are chalk and cheese - incomparable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Was never a worrier as far as I can remember.. From family to exams to driving tests to health to tricky spots in Asia. Things generally work themselves out just fine.

What tricky spots in Asia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

:confused:

"My (insert family member/partner/friend here) is very sick -> I hope they don't die."

Seems logical enough to me.

kraggy wrote: »

:confused:

"My (insert family member/partner/friend here) is very sick -> I hope they don't die."

Seems logical enough to me.

I think he means that the act of purely worrying (while entirely natural and understandable) serves no purpose.

Although, really, that's untrue. Worrying encourages us to seek solutions to problems.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I don't worry much. Which is worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

My mother is the biggest worrier Ive ever met, and would be awake for hours every night over something that may or may not happen 6 months down the line.
    Because of this I make a concious effort not to worry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

Yes, I do worry sometimes. But I worry less and less every day - I am beginning to understand that I have only one life and if I spend it worrying about things that may but probably never will happen is at least stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I worry all the time about things like work. I'm trying to train myself not to worry so much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

I worry all the time, I feel quite depressed when I'm alone and sometimes for no reason I feel like bursting into tears and feel stupid for doing so.

I don't know why, normally when I'm out with people I'm actually quite happy and funny and keep my friends entertained all night (even without alcohol), but as soon as I'm on my own, the worrying starts again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I don't get the point of worrying :confused:

It solves nothing and only creates anxiety and stress. Either sort out the issue or forget about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

Somebody once told me this and it has done wonders for myself:

"If there's nothing you can do about something, then there's no point worrying about it"
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You should try harder to relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

Big worrier here. Mostly I worry about whether I'll be able to do the things I want in life. If you find a way to stop worrying OP, let me know. The stress must be taking years off our lives

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I used to worry a lot but you just need to snap yourself out of it. Worrying achieves very little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    I used to worry a lot but you just need to snap yourself out of it. Worrying achieves very little.

Yeah. There's healthy levels of worry... like you shouldn't be riddled with apathy but at the same time if it is consuming your life you need to re-appraise.

I found myself constantly worrying and having negative thoughts (not entirely unreasonable due to the fact that everything seems to be going down the josh ritter in the country) but I snapped out of it by shrugging my shoulders and acknowleging that I am doing my best and whatever happens happens and, little has changed other than I am a more content person. So its worth thinking about. Not too much though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I used to worry an extreme amount about something quite specific. This led to worry about other things and finally, worrying about worrying too much. Vicious circle.

Thankfully got out of that. If its affecting your wellbeing or ability to enjoy life on a regular basis then speak to your GP about it - there's plenty of ways to resolve it. Cognitive behavioural therapy has a lot to reccomend it. Very simple but effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

I worry a lot over stupid stuff but just can't make it go away. Then I forget what I was worrying about and start to worry about something else.

Hate going to bed at night my brain starts to race like mad thinking about everything, what if this what if that were all mad.

kraggy wrote: »
    What tricky spots in Asia?

Eg. Breaking down by myself on a dirtroad in the middle of the mountains along the border with China.. Very few villages, no phone coverage and no traffic. Sat and smoked cigarettes for half an hour, enjoyed the view, tried the bike again and it worked thankfully.
    (Think it was dirty petrol going through the carb so I put in more petrol and opened the reserve.. Couldn't keep trying it over and over because it's an electric start and I wouldn't be able to bump start it on dirt when the battery ran out).

People who like to worry would have had a panic attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Of course I do. It's natural, within reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Damokc

"I used to think about the future, and then it became the present,
    so I thought about it quite often then,
    and then it was in the past so I didn't think about it that much."

I find myself almost getting panic attacks at night with worry....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

Without worry there'd be no sense of achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I worry about everything all the time. I'd be worried if I wasn't worried:o. My Dad used to say if you worry you die, and if you don't worry you die, so why bother worrying. He was the world's worst worrier:rolleyes::)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Without worry there'd be no sense of achievement.

You should save your Christmas crackers until Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭sophieblake

I worry an awful lot about stuff, my job, my family, my health, finance. I am a natural pessimist.

My daughter was going to second level for first time this year and was worrying about the transition. Of course I told her to stop worrying, everything will be fine, worrying beforehand won't help, blah, blah, blah

Pity I don't follow my own advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

All the time, ive started mediatating it kinda stops it and helps against depression aswell:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Lately yes,
    My future was secure up to quite recently, but I know I am not the only one. I suppose I still have my health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Write your worry on a piece of ham OP. It'll be cured then.*

*Taken from the Little Book of Crap. If you ever need a 'lift me up', get this book. It doles out all kinds of useless tips that'll make you laugh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Yes, all the time
    and it's normally about stuff that turns out to be nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Arianna_26

I think you'd have to be a bit simple to be living in Ireland today and not be worried about something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I worry sometimes. I used to be a major worrier but then all of the things I worried about happened and I got through 'em, so now I sort of just think, "Ah, it'll be grand".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Why? Gets you nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I'm a worrier too OP. I mainly worry about other people and their safety, especially in the last year or so (no idea why, must be a getting older thing) which I know is silly because most of what I worry about is totally beyond my control.

The good thing is you can remind yourself that there really is no point in worrying, because there is nothing you can do about it. Logic yourself out of your anxiety. If that doesn't work try to distract yourself. I'll read a book, watch an episode or two of a series I like, stick on the kettle, have a cup of tea and watch a movie, or immerse myself in a game. If you need company give a friend a call. Usually the worry or anxiety lessens when you have something else to think about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 embobolina

I am a serial worrier. Some days worse than others. I never seem to worry about myself though - only about the ones I love and my dog!

It's sort of turned into an OCD for me... Like have I turned the straightners off (been known to get to work and then have to go back home to double check) , will the fire be ok while I nip out etc etc.

I think it runs in the family and maybe develops with age.

My mum used to irationally worry that if she took me outside she would throw me in a dustbin! Thankfully she got over that one :p x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I would worry from time to time but not every day. Could be general things or something long or short term depends but varies from day to day. Might worry about something one day might not worry about anything for a week or a month depends how my life and day to day goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Nope, i never worry... My GF hates the fact that im so laid back... Cant understand it at all lol..

I don't care tbh...

• Advertisement
Advertisement