Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between Blackrock Hall West and Blackrock Hall East

Options
  • 23-11-2011 5:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey

Just wondering what the difference between blackrock hall east and west is!?

Ive heard that there are 3 different places in Blackrock; Proby, Novitiate and Halls?

Just wondering how id choose which one i want to be in on the online booking when all it says is "Blackrock Hall West" and "Blackrock Hall East"

Which of these is the best for craic and is Blackrock better than Muckross Hall for craic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

Blackrock Halls (incoporating East and West) are one building, connected in the centre by a long study room. Those in East and West Halls share kitchens together, as well as a few communal rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

HickNewf wrote: »
    Hey

Just wondering what the difference between blackrock hall east and west is!?

Ive heard that there are 3 different places in Blackrock; Proby, Novitiate and Halls?

Just wondering how id choose which one i want to be in on the online booking when all it says is "Blackrock Hall West" and "Blackrock Hall East"

Which of these is the best for craic and is Blackrock better than Muckross Hall for craic?

muckross is definitely better, huge common room with a pool table, tv and darts board. also slightly closer and better connected via buses to UCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

muckross is definitely better, huge common room with a pool table, tv and darts board. also slightly closer and better connected via buses to UCD

Closer to UCD if you are on campus in Belfield. Sounds like the OP might be in Smurfit so Blackrock residences would be on campus to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭seXmym0nkey

I would strongly recommend you find somewhere else to live. Blackrock halls is a miserable kip.

It's such a pain in the hole having to walk through the big building to your kitchen and I'm not even all that far away. Food sometimes gets stolen from the communal kitchens but not often enough that it's a big problem I suppose. It took them about 3 months to get me a key for my cupboard though after I moved in. There's no oven or grill, only a hob, which I think is disgraceful. I personaly hate having to use a public kitchen and dining room.

I don't use the common rooms which were useless up untill recently when they got a new tv (52"!) and saorview, but before that had nothing in them. It kind of sucks arse having only a little square bedroom to yourself and nothing else. Everything else is communal.

If you're choosing a room I'd recommend the first floor maybe as the ground floor can get noisy and all. Although, the first and second floors have the disadvantage of wooden floors in an echoey hallway so listening to girls coming home late at night wearing heels is like a thunder storm!

That list is in no way exhaustive of all the things I dislike about Halls but I suppose it's unfair not to mention a few positives.. The showers are really good where I am (first floor west halls) and there's always hot water. The internet is really fast! My room is very warm even though you might not think the old building would retain heat! I'm never cold in the room.

I'm thinking of moving out for the 2nd semester and living somewhere else. Actually, does anyone know the story about moving out of campus halfway through term? Will I get my deposit back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

There's no oven or grill, only a hob, which I think is disgraceful. I personaly hate having to use a public kitchen and dining room.

There are no ovens in Glenomena, New Merville or Roebuck either. Not sure about Muckross.

You'll probably get your deposit back if you leave. I know people that have moved out a semester earlier than they signed up for, although that was at the end of Semester 2 before the summer term. It's probably not that unusual though.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭seXmym0nkey

There are no ovens in Glenomena, New Merville or Roebuck either. Not sure about Muckross.

Yeah, I'd really be sickened having paid a lot more money staying in those buildings if I didn't have an oven!
    It's probably not that unusual though.

Especially in Blackrock Halls :-P I went to put my name on the campus transfer list but they said it was pointless as there were so many people looking to transfer from Halls that I wouldn't get offered anything else..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Yeah, I'd really be sickened having paid a lot more money staying in those buildings if I didn't have an oven!

Especially in Blackrock Halls :-P I went to put my name on the campus transfer list but they said it was pointless as there were so many people looking to transfer from Halls that I wouldn't get offered anything else..

get some kind of doctors note if you can saying you have asthma or something, any kind of minor health problem will get you a place on campus straight away.

Advertisement