Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi hangs

Options
  • 23-11-2011 7:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

I'll try to describe my setup as best I can. My network has the following elements.

Netgear DGN3500 Router,
    Nas wired,
    TV set top box wired,
    Win7 laptop wireless (using Intel Centrino Advanced N 6230 wifi card).

Whenever I do heavy data transfers from/to the laptop, the network might hang. If it does I have to restart various elements to get ti working again.

Where would I even start to troubleshoot this and how? I'd be very grateful for any help cos it's a right painn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Try using a different wifi channel. The one your using (probably 11) maybe congested. If you've a baby monitor change it's channel too as these are terrible at interferring with wifi if set to a similar channel. Play around with the settings

Edit
    This app may help with identifying the channesl used by other wifi routers around you:
    http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭yenoah

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Try using a different wifi channel. The one your using (probably 11) maybe congested. If you've a baby monitor change it's channel too as these are terrible at interferring with wifi if set to a similar channel. Play around with the settings

Edit
    This app may help with identifying the channesl used by other wifi routers around you:
    http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Hi, thanks for the reply. Router is set to channel auto. I live rural. No baby monitors or anything on the 2.4GHz band anywhere near me. I don't think this is the issue.

Check to make sure the router is broadcasting in Wireless N mode.

Have you checked to make sure you've the latest firmware and drivers for the modem and network card?

Try disabling your antivirus temporarily when you're transferring files too

Check to make sure the router is broadcasting in Wireless N mode.

Have you checked to make sure you've the latest firmware and drivers for the modem and network card?

Try disabling your antivirus temporarily when you're transferring files too

No, see I think this is gonna be more complex than that. I don't run anti virus. Router is pumping out 300mbps and wifi card connecting at 300mbps. I always have latest drivers / firmware.

I saw elsewhere someone suggest Ctrl C/Ctrl V was quicker then drag and drop. Cant explain why. You could also see if teracopy might help here too.

• Advertisement

I saw elsewhere someone suggest Ctrl C/Ctrl V was quicker then drag and drop. Cant explain why. You could also see if teracopy might help here too.

I'm not specifically having issues with file copying, usually the thing hangs when streaming or using DLNA.

I saw that article alright on my travels, I'll give that a shot. Hey thanks for all your replies, much appreciated.

No problem. Let us know what works if you fix it.

Well that auto tuning thing didnt work either. Just ran a stream as a test and it hung after about a minute (with auto tuning disabled).

• Advertisement

So does it happen with lots of small files and single large files? Or does it only happen with one or the other?

So does it happen with lots of small files and single large files? Or does it only happen with one or the other?

never happened with files at all. Video streaming

Advertisement