Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting pregnant after miscarriage

Options
  • 23-11-2011 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,
    I had a miscarriage at week 11, earlier this summer (4 months ago). I am hoping to get pregnant again, but so far nothing, and I can't help worry! I know it is individual, and I know that it doesn't mean that I can't get pregnant again, and I know that it doesn't help to worry about it. But can't help feeling down and cheated every month when I get my period.
    I am just wondering if any of you have had a similar experience and what to expect? Did you have difficulties getting pregnant again, how long did it take, where you scared that you would miscarriage again or were you able to just enjoy it and be happy?

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Hi Nbj,
    Im so sorry to hear about your loss :( Its a hossible horrible experience.
    I miscarried at 7 weeks over a yr and half ago - after trying for 5 months. I was devastated - and started trying again straight away. It took me ten months to conceive again after that. They were the 10 longest months of my life - i was so obsessed and stressed out. Especially when my would have been due date came and went as i had really thought i woud have been pregnant by then. It was so so hard... I think the fact that i was so stressed about it probably contributed to the problem conceiving tho! You have to remember that it takes the average healthy couple 7 months to conceive - while its not what you want to hear its unfortunately the reality - something which i just did not believe no matter how many times i was told it! I think if i had accepted that i may have been able to relax a little! But its easier said than done, as after a miscarraige - for me nothing was going to make me feel better but to be pregnant again - so i appreciate its fine me saying all of this but it doesnt change how tough it feels on you :( I found the trying to convceive thread on here really great for support during the highs and lows of each month, the people there all know how your feeling and how frustrating it can be.
    I conceived then after the 10 months and was extremely nervous- i had very bad pains aroung 6 weeks and was sureit was happening again - then i found out i was pregnant with twins at 7 weeks! Unfortunately we lost one twin at 9 weeks.... so that was very hard to cope with...another miscarraige yet i was still pregnant:confused: Since then i'vebeen trying to focus on enjoying the pregnancy for the sake of the little baby that i do have - turns out she's a little girl!! Im 27 weeks now and can happily say all is going well! The journey to get here has been a bit gruelling but i know once i meet her every second of it will have been worth it! I wish someone could have told me somewhere along the way - dont worry in a yr/18 months you'll be 7 months pregnant with a bay girl - it would have made it so much easier to bear - the worst of it was the what if's..'what if i never get pregnant again' whatif i miscarry..etc etc - I think you just have to try and keep the faith - be positive - presume you will have a baby in a year or two and try to focus on that rather than the very short term. Do all you can to help the process like eating right, using a lubricant like preseed , have loadsa sex around ovulation time, but dont let yourself become too obsessed - it only leads to stress - which ineveitably delays pregnancy. Try and make your focus to be healthy and happy, and becoming pregnant will surely follow. Just take the pressure off yourself tho by remembering it does take months for most people - so a few months in a row does not mean failure - your just have to keep focusing on the positives a little longer and then your baby will come to you.
    I hope this helps...its a bit rambly so im sorry for that!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

nbj so sorry for your loss
    I miscarried in august at 9 weeks, we tried again straight away and we just got pregnant on the 3rd cycle.
    I was tracking my fertility on Fertility Friend website http://www.fertilityfriend.com/
    What I noticed with each of the 3 cycles was all my "signs" weren`t lining up properly til the 3rd cycle
    1st cycle my fertile cervical fluid was 5/6days after I got a positive ovulation test
    2nd cycle we didn`t have sex at the right time (too early and then too late)
    3rd cycle everthing seem to be in sync - Got fertile cervical fluid for a few days, a positive ovulation test, low temperatures, then had sex at the right time...
    Took some robitussen on the lead up to ovulation to help with cervical fluid, also a 1/4 tablet of aspirin every 2nd day in that 2 week wait, folic acid, vitamin D B6 and C.
    I`m only 6 weeks now but I`m gonna try to be positive, actually I thought I`d be more paranoid but I`m not gonna waste my time worrying and enjoy it til I hold this baby in a few months.
    If the worst happens I`ll deal with that then.
    If you can truly enjoy the time "trying" Do some mad stuff from period to ovulation time, then keep yourself busy in the 2 week wait.
    Hope that helps, and best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 9 nbj

Dublinlady, Fri.Day thanks both for sharing your stories! And Congratulations to you both! :)
    Dublinlady, will give the pre-seed a go, thanks for the advice, had never heard about that before.
    You a right Fri.Day to keep busy in those 2 weeks instead of getting tied up in all the 'what ifs'.

Thanks again for sharing what you have been through and for all your advices, I really appreciate that - I'm sure its just a matter of time, maybe just a few months :)

The best to you both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DerryG

Hi NJB
    I miscarried at 9 weeks in June and started trying again right away. Still no success. We have used pre-seed since July. I've always heard that you're more fertile after a MC but that's obviously not the case for everyone. Sometimes I'm doing ok but other times I'm just so sad and worried that there's something wrong. I've had blood tests done and they're all perfect except for a vit b12 deficiency. I start injections in Jan but it shouldn't be preventing me from getting preg anyway.
    Hopefully by this time next year we'll both have something to celebrate at Christmas! x

Advertisement