Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Personal Loan

• 23-11-2011 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

I have incurred a couple of unexpected costs this year which have pushed me into my overdraft. I get paid once a month and this doesnt fully get me out of my overdraft.

I slowly decreasing the deficit every month but Christmas will no doubt anilate any headway I have made towards clearing it.

I wonder if I would be better advised to take out a small personal loan of 2500to clear the OD and pay it off over 1 year on a flexible basis where if I have extra cash I can lodge to the account?
    Obviously after clearing the OD I will tell them to reduce it back down to 100 - 200 euro (I never asked for it to be increased in first place but thats another story!)

I imagine I would get a better rate on a small loan than on my overdraft facility?

I bank with BOI but I am open to exploring other lenders for a better rate.

Thanks for any advice...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Bendihorse wrote: »
    I have incurred a couple of unexpected costs this year which have pushed me into my overdraft. I get paid once a month and this doesnt fully get me out of my overdraft.

I slowly decreasing the deficit every month but Christmas will no doubt anilate any headway I have made towards clearing it.

I wonder if I would be better advised to take out a small personal loan of 2500to clear the OD and pay it off over 1 year on a flexible basis where if I have extra cash I can lodge to the account?
    Obviously after clearing the OD I will tell them to reduce it back down to 100 - 200 euro (I never asked for it to be increased in first place but thats another story!)

I imagine I would get a better rate on a small loan than on my overdraft facility?

I bank with BOI but I am open to exploring other lenders for a better rate.

Thanks for any advice...

BOI will definitely give you a loan to clear OD and yes it will be at a lower rate, it's effectively a debt restructure you're looking for. I doubt any other bank will give you a loan for this purpose as they usually don't want to take on another institutions liabilities.

Advertisement