Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there a standard procedure for dealing with accidents at Primary school?

• 23-11-2011 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi, just want to know if there is a set procedure which schools are to follow if a child is injured at school.

Our child suffered an accidental blow to the head at school. From our point of view there was a significant delay in the school dealing with the issue. They didnt contact us for just over an hour even though they could clearly see that the child had concussion as he was unstable on his feet, pale, nauseous, blurred double vision and wanting to sleep the whole time.

We eventually collected him from school and took him to our GP who immediately referred us to hospital.

We feel that the school should have brought him immediately to our GP who is a 2 minute drive away from the school or called an ambulance given the obvious signs of concussion.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

No, no standard procedure,each school has their own procedure.You need to ask the school re the sequence of events. I know our secretary has spent ages trying to contact parents as very often they change phones and don't update school the new number.Have you signed a form saying your child can be brought straight to the doctor?

Hope the little guy is on the mend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

If a child gets a bang in the head, we take them off the yard, sit them down outside the secretaries office and give them an ice pack. Some children will not be hurt at all but just like looking like the 'injured soldier' - if you know what I mean. It is normally clear enough if they are are grand and not hurt - no crying, no pain, no cut, no complaing,colour in the face etc but if they are hurt a phone call is made straight away.
    I have lost count of the number of times our secretary has said the phone just rings out, is out of service etc.
    When a parent does answer, we tell them what happened and normally put the child on and the parent can ask if they are hurt badly enough for them to come and get them or if they think they continue till the end of the school day.
    Where we feel the child needs to be collected we will tell them that at the outset.
    If a child was as badly hurt as your lad, I would be very surprised ( and angry as a parent myself) if the school took an hour to contact you. Even if their records had an old number, they would check his bag and his journal, ask his sister/brother/cousin etc where possible, that wouldn't take long.
    Find out if the number they have is your number - i.e. they didn't have to go searching for it. If it is, ask for a rough timeline of events. It may have been the case that the effects of the bang were delayed and initially he wasn't too bad.
    Hope he's ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Hi, just want to know if there is a set procedure which schools are to follow if a child is injured at school.
    No there aren't. You should ask the school for a copy of their policy covering this. If they didn't follow the school policy then you should speak to the principal about your concerns.

If they don't have one they should and you should raise this with your PA/PTA.
    Our child suffered an accidental blow to the head at school. From our point of view there was a significant delay in the school dealing with the issue. They didnt contact us for just over an hour even though they could clearly see that the child had concussion as he was unstable on his feet, pale, nauseous, blurred double vision and wanting to sleep the whole time.

We eventually collected him from school and took him to our GP who immediately referred us to hospital.

We feel that the school should have brought him immediately to our GP who is a 2 minute drive away from the school or called an ambulance given the obvious signs of concussion.

Concussion is not immediately apparent and symptoms can vary. A blow to the head can be serious but can equally be harmless. There should be a trained first aider on staff (ideally imo all primary teachers should be trained in occupational first aid at public expense) and that person will make a judgement call.

Your definition of a 'significant delay' may not agree with theirs. It can take time for symptoms to manifest and it may have been at that stage that they contacted you. That would not be an undue delay.

As byhookorbycrook asked - have you given permission for the child to be brought directly to the doctor in urgent cases? If not then they are bound by your wishes.

I'm playing devil's advocate here I know. I am not a teacher - I am a parent. I've also had a call from our creche about one of my children going there from school with a head injury that we weren't notified about by the school so I do know where you are coming from :) But there are two sides to every story and all the facts need to be considered.

Advertisement