Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to read in Dublin?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Only in your feeble mind...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Then in turn you need to get over the fact that your inability to explain this strange need of yours raises concerns.

Frankly the only concern raised so far in this thread is the specious reasoning in modern Trinity undergraduates.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurum

To be honest OP, there aren't many areas in Trinity that are quiet enough to properly read a book unless you get a readers pass for the library (which can be difficult to get). I'm a student there and I try to avoid the Arts block between 10 am and 6 pm. It's usually thronging with noisy students. Seats are scarce, and even if you do get one, it feels like trying to read during a commute.

I used to go to Waterstones' cafe (before it sadly closed). Perhaps a book shop like Hodges Figgis on Dawson Street might be an option? And of course during nice weather the Green is a lovely place to sit and read. There are plenty of nice, quiet cafes around that area, if you were ok with paying one or two euro for a cup of tea or something.

And Cavehill, I understand your point (well, the part relating to the use of private facilities anyway), but plenty of people attend various events in Trinity free of charge. I've brought relatives to several presentations during the last few years, and I would attend events now and again while I was still in school. Allowing members of the public to access the campus (within reason, obviously) adds to the atmosphere of any academic institution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

At least one poster refuses to offer any explanation as to why they must go to the Arts Block, where young female students gather between classes, rather than the National Library, if their stated reason is to simply read a book. Obviously that raises concerns that reading is not their purpose for being there, and that is a genuine security concern for the students.

The National Library require you to sign up for a card and also quiz you on your purposes for using the library. They will politely suggest you find somewhere else if your interest isn't specifically in using the library. You are, however, free to check out the building and the exhibitions, ie the public spaces, which are also advertised to attracting tourists and so on. In much the same way that the arts block can be seen with many tourists, as well as of course students visiting.

I went to Trinity and never noticed overcrowding in the public areas (the library itself was a different matter). I go there occasionally to read or kill time before meeting someone and there has always been empty seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Accents in Lr. Stephen St. is pretty good for reading books. I also like the Insommnia in Abbey St. Just opposite the Jervis Luas stop. Cahoots just near Chapters Book Store in Parnell St. is good too.

I'm just trying to think of nice quiet places, comfortable, and conducive to reading.

• Advertisement
Advertisement