Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless router speed dropping.

Options
  • 23-11-2011 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

An extension was recently built to my family home in which we have UPC broadband in use with a wireless router. The walls in the new part and the main house are solid and very thick. On using the broadband in the new extension the signal strength tends switches between full strength, 2 bars or none. Is it possible to get a booster for the wireless router?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Thread moved to Wireless as this is not a Broadband issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Yes it is, Belkin do have a few.

they can be tricky to set up but if you have an old Wirless Router you could set them both up as Bridge Network where you give the Second Router an Ip address for the one you got from UPC make sure you turn off DHCP on the old Router that would be the cheaper choice but if you dont have a old Router just buy a Belkin booster

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've experienced the same issue and my solution is this: Buy a couple of Power over Ethernet electrical plugs and a second cheap WiFi router. I've tried the bridge repeater without success as the incompatibilities make configuration difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Avoid Belkin, terrible crap products

Never had problems with Belkin products. in fact i find that after Linksys one of the better routers to buy.

• Advertisement

Cork24 wrote: »
    Never had problems with Belkin products. in fact i find that after Linksys one of the better routers to buy.

I've fitted hundreds of wi-fi routers with PPPoE settings as part of my job, Belkins can't be trusted to dial it every 30 seconds to keep the connection up. Failing to do so meant a service call and needed to be avoided. The older model Linksys WRT54GL (old spec before Cisco started using cheaper components) was all we ended up trusting, best of the cheaper routers. The newer models from Linksys had some problems. Some Netgear were fine too. Belkin were nothing but trouble. We even set them us as access points with an RB750 because they couldn't route properly without issues.

Never had a problem with Belkin Routers..

have 4 Routers in my house 1 is a UPC modem, the other two are Cisco & Belkin and the other is a USR one all 3 are Access points, Allowing full Signal any part of the house. my Next project im looking into is a High Gain Antenna for my house..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

I'm with UPC for 4 months now and just noticed in the last day or two that my speeds are dropping very low. I signed up for the 25MB wireless package and am now getting speeds of 10MB or less.

1618518553.png

I wanted to go for the lower speed (12MB) but was told that wasn't wireless, and I need wireless. I was guaranteed speeds of at least 20MB at all times and sometimes higher during off peak (depending on whether my neighbours had UPC or not). They don't.

It seems like Broadband companies give you what you sign up for in the first 3 to 4 months, then drop of the speeds, as you've already signed up for 12 months. :mad:

Must say my speeds are always up around the 40 mark got the 50mb package. When it comes to speed and getting Wat u paid for. It depends on the fact how far away are u from the DCL patch. How many stations does your hop take to get the UPC. Once u sent a pong out to the net that package could really end up going though 50 servers to get to where it needs to go which effects the speed also

Plus I see u picked the Dublin server at 100 miles away which is an eircom server if i was u I try the limerick one

cardol wrote: »
    I'm with UPC for 4 months now and just noticed in the last day or two that my speeds are dropping very low. I signed up for the 25MB wireless package and am now getting speeds of 10MB or less.

1618518553.png

I wanted to go for the lower speed (12MB) but was told that wasn't wireless, and I need wireless. I was guaranteed speeds of at least 20MB at all times and sometimes higher during off peak (depending on whether my neighbours had UPC or not). They don't.

It seems like Broadband companies give you what you sign up for in the first 3 to 4 months, then drop of the speeds, as you've already signed up for 12 months. :mad:

Connect by ethernet cable and see what you get. Upc don't do wireless, you signed up to a package that comes with a wireless router. Wireless inside your house can suffer from interference from other devices which is completely outside UPC's control (and support). Baby monitors, Tv senders etc all use the same frequencies and can cause problems. If you're getting full speed through ethernet then nothing is wrong, they're fulfilling their side of the bargain.

If this is the case a simple channel change could help. See how plugging in by ethernet goes

• Advertisement
Advertisement