Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macari's Dunshaughlin

Options
  • 23-11-2011 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Macari’s Dunshaughlin

So I was there the other day and asked for a tub of curry sauce. It was €1.95 or thereabouts!!!!! The other sauces were only 50 cent. I asked why and they told me that they were smaller tubs. When I asked for a small tub of curry they told me it could not be done. Really? Is it that difficult? Now, I might add that the curry sauce tubs were quite small as it was – about 1.5inch high.

Anyway – I didn’t bother with the sauce and just got a burger and chips…. The burger was like cardboard.

Anyone else disgruntled at this chip shop. Unfortunately, they own the two chips shops in Dunshaughlin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Yeah Macari's is a rip-off but it has the monopoly in Dunshaughlin. I actually really like their food, I don't eat chippers that often though, usually only when I'm hungover so I don't know if I'm really in a place to comment on the quality of the food!

I actually think the curry sauce has come down in price! I thought it used to be €2.50. The "small tubs" they sell for 50 cent are just like the pre-packaged sauces that you get in McDonalds so that's why they couldn't do a small tub of curry sauce but they could have even given you half a tub of curry sauce for €1! I'd say they make the whole big pot of sauce for about the same price they sell one tiny tub of it for.

I used to work there and they run a VERY tight ship so I can imagine the staff would be afraid to go against them and try and appease a customer in that way. Although the staff are usually ridiculously unfriendly anyway. The family runs four food places in the village and it's very rare that I've encountered any friendliness in any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

Yeah Macari's is a rip-off but it has the monopoly in Dunshaughlin. I actually really like their food, I don't eat chippers that often though, usually only when I'm hungover so I don't know if I'm really in a place to comment on the quality of the food!

I actually think the curry sauce has come down in price! I thought it used to be €2.50. The "small tubs" they sell for 50 cent are just like the pre-packaged sauces that you get in McDonalds so that's why they couldn't do a small tub of curry sauce but they could have even given you half a tub of curry sauce for €1! I'd say they make the whole big pot of sauce for about the same price they sell one tiny tub of it for.

I used to work there and they run a VERY tight ship so I can imagine the staff would be afraid to go against them and try and appease a customer in that way. Although the staff are usually ridiculously unfriendly anyway. The family runs four food places in the village and it's very rare that I've encountered any friendliness in any of them.

yeah - ignorance seems to be first and foremost. hard to believe they actually deal with the public!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Apache pizza is the only place in the Village i like. I would say there cleaning up!

service with a smile :)

Apache pizza is the only place in the Village i like. I would say there cleaning up!

service with a smile :)

I much prefer the pizzas from Pizzamia, which is a pity as they're far more expensive and unfriendly there...but I'd still rather pay that bit extra!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Apache all the way, love it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

I much prefer the pizzas from Pizzamia, which is a pity as they're far more expensive and unfriendly there...but I'd still rather pay that bit extra!

Apache 'Pizza' isn't pizza. It's doughy bread that's been grilled and is really pricey.

€5 in Pizza Mia for a 12 inch Margherita, made freshly and in a pizza oven.... with a can of coke! Brilliant value I think.

Completely agree with you about Macari's though, and Fontana's is ridiculously unfriendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Yeah, I think it's a real shame that one family dominates the supply of fast food in Dunshaughlin. I avoid Macari's it as much as is practical because the staff there always give me the impression that they regard customers as being of just nuisance value.

So whenever I fancy a fish n' chip, I drive to the other Macari's, in Ratoath, just five or six minutes away. Plus on Friday's they usually have my favourite type of fish, Ray. Expensive, but a nice treat the odd time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 turboep82

as a young lad coming home from dublin i would always go there but the past few years the food is rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

Got something there last Friday(I think) and found food to be grand, not as good as other Macrais but was fine, but found the staff not to be very friendly, would never go back there again based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

used to use it quite often but found one younger member of staff(family) to be an arrogant sod who wouldnt have a word to throw to you..if you asked for plenty of salt and vinegar you were met with a roll of the eyes or shake of the head. they run the one in clonee too

• Advertisement

used to use it quite often but found one younger member of staff(family) to be an arrogant sod who wouldnt have a word to throw to you..if you asked for plenty of salt and vinegar you were met with a roll of the eyes or shake of the head. they run the one in clonee too

I find the food in Clonee one to be one of the better ones and staff are very friendly, been a while though since I have been there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Chalem

God be with the good old days of McEntaggert's chip shop.....a pound's worth of chips (when a "large" was 60p) from Benny or Yvonne with a smile, a chat and the odd piece of chicken thrown in for free the odd time....the nicest retailers in Dunshaughlin in their day, followed closely by John Harkin in the old shop opposite Lawlesses

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i used to stop in Macari's on my way home to Navan on a Tuesday night (chipper tuesday ftw!) but a couple of years ago they hiked up their prices and the same thing went from costing around €15 to over €20 and the quality seemed to drop too so we stopped going there.

i've been back periodically when in passing, but nothing has changed, so it's a last resort rather than a chipper of choice now. as a substitute we would either go to the macari's in johnstown village or the chipper near supevalu in johnstown, but we just moved to clonsilla, so now the awesome chipper in blanch village on the main road opposite superquinn is our chipper of choice and i have to say it's one of the best chippers i've been to in the 10 years+ i've been living in ireland. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I live in Dunshaughlin and the monopoly thats been ruining the village over past 15 years is disgusting, ye need to head to Ratoath to get decent takeaways. Thankfully Apache came to Dunshaughlin to offer decent pizza's, good prices, a service with a smile and is the only decent alternative to bad rubbish in the town. The sooner people in Dunshaguhlin stop going to all the other monopoly driven places the better coz they are getting ripped off with bad food, small quantities, ignorant service. I stopped going to Marcari's over 3 years ago got fed up with half filled bags of chips, bad burgers and rude service.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I live in Dunshaughlin and the monopoly thats been ruining the village over past 15 years is disgusting, ye need to head to Ratoath to get decent takeaways. Thankfully Apache came to Dunshaughlin to offer decent pizza's, good prices, a service with a smile and is the only decent alternative to bad rubbish in the town. The sooner people in Dunshaguhlin stop going to all the other monopoly driven places the better coz they are getting ripped off with bad food, small quantities, ignorant service. I stopped going to Marcari's over 3 years ago got fed up with half filled bags of chips, bad burgers and rude service.

I believe the owner of Marcari's is renting the cafe/chiper down the other end of the village so no one else opens it!!

I believe the owner of Marcari's is renting the cafe/chiper down the other end of the village so no one else opens it!!

The Village Grill? That's open and run by Macari's, they don't just rent it and keep it closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

I believe the owner of Marcari's is renting the cafe/chiper down the other end of the village so no one else opens it!![/Quote]

100% true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

Half price fish and chips yesterday - what a joke. Surely it can only be deemed half price if you are getting the same amount of food as any other day.

I got a few chips in a bag and a dirty rotten cod piece that I threw in the bin. Fish Fingers would have tasted better.

It wasnt just in Dunshaughlin. On the Ballyfermot road the fish was burnt and half a bag of chips too.
    Half price fish and chips yesterday - what a joke. Surely it can only be deemed half price if you are getting the same amount of food as any other day.

I got a few chips in a bag and a dirty rotten cod piece that I threw in the bin. Fish Fingers would have tasted better.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

I'm surprised that you are surprised...the sooner Macari's pack up and go, the better.
    I look forward to the day when another chipper comes on the scene, if they can elbow their way through the monopoly that is Dunshaughlin.

Also, any sign of an independent video shop taking the place of Xtravision in Dushaughlin? Or has "Netflix" and the like killed off the concept of video shops in general?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I can honestly say i will never spend another cent ever in a macaris since i saw that virginia macari one on dublin housewives on tv3.

My other half started watching the first program and she turned it off within ten minutes it was that bad.

I felt like kicking in the telly! :P

Macari's isn't a chain or franchise. There are loads of different Macari families in Ireland who aren't related but use the name for their chipper!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lisaj

Get an All Day Breakfast in Fidelma's. You'd never leave that place hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

lisaj wrote: »
    Get an All Day Breakfast in Fidelma's. You'd never leave that place hungry.
    i wish i had more thumbs so i could give more than 2 thumbs up for fidelmas. :D

been going there for years and they do some of the biggest and the best breakfasts you'll ever have and they're great value and friendly service. can't recommend them enough. :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    i wish i had more thumbs so i could give more than 2 thumbs up for fidelmas. :D

been going there for years and they do some of the biggest and the best breakfasts you'll ever have and they're great value and friendly service. can't recommend them enough. :)

Without doubt the best anywhere. Service top notch, food amazing and unbelieavable value.

Whats the Indian takeaway like in the Village?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 miss.aok

A dream of mine would be to open a McDonalds in dunshaughlin. I hate the fact she owns the majority of fast food places in dunshaughlin.

And ye the staff in pizzamia are very rude.

Whats the Indian takeaway like in the Village?

Under new management and soon to open.

Borderfox wrote: »
    Under new management and soon to open.

Isn't this the second time it's been "under new management"?

• Advertisement
Advertisement