Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent off licence in city centre or Southside

Options
  • 23-11-2011 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations for a good off licence that would have a decent selection of imported beers esp. German or Austrian beers?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 stormcloud

If you are near Dundrum, Deveneys Office license near the Dundrum Town centre has excellent selection of beers

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Redmonds of Ranelagh, Baggot St Wines at Upper Baggot St or Probus on Fenian St

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Thanks, will be up at Dundrum tomorrow so will check Deveneys.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

the offie on Denzil lane, D2 is brilliant - loads of craft beers.

very nice and helpful owner, who really knows his stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

irishbird wrote: »
    the offie on Denzil lane, D2 is brilliant - loads of craft beers.

very nice and helpful owner, who really knows his stuff.

Whereabouts is that, Denzil Lane not coming up on Google Maps?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

+ 1 for Redmonds in ranelagh, have yet to see a better selection of beers in Ireland in an Off license.

Whereabouts is that, Denzil Lane not coming up on Google Maps?

Its called Probus Wines on Fenian St at its junction with Denzille Lane just down the street from the Gingerman Pub

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

O'Neills on the South Circular Rd opposite Griffth College.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Www.drinkstore.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

+1 for Redmonds in Ranelagh. Probably the best off licence for beers in the country.
    Jack Carvill off licence on camden street is good too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Paparazzo wrote: »
    +1 for Redmonds in Ranelagh. Probably the best off licence for beers in the country.

I dunno. Drinkstore in Stoneybatter is pretty great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Deveney's on Upper Rathmines Road (near post office, opposite Tesco) is very good on Imported beer as well as wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

That one in Ranelagh is the best by a long way. If you're willing to travel a bit further out, the O'Briens in the Beacon Shopping Centre in Sandyford is also excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Jack Carvill off licence on camden street is good too.

Have been in Carvill's recently and it seems pretty bloody empty, beer wise, these days. Used to pop in there alright myself.

Redmond's is as good as it gets.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I did a tour of the best beer off licences in Dublin about 5 years ago. Definitely thought Redmonds was better then though, but drinkstore could have improved, looks good on the website. Anyway, it's northside! McHughs in Kilbarrack and Sweeneys in Glasnevin are good northside ones too.
    Birneybau wrote: »
    Have been in Carvill's recently and it seems pretty bloody empty, beer wise, these days. Used to pop in there alright myself.

Redmond's is as good as it gets.
    Been about 3 years since i was in Carvills, they were doing great deals too, pity it's gone downhill. Bit awkward to get to so havent been there since.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    They both get their speciality beers from the same handful of importers and they both carry the rare stuff that there's only a few cases of in the country. If one seems better than the other it's because it has what you happen to be looking for at that moment.

Redmond's does have the advantage of being able to put everything out on the shelves and is more browseable. If I'm looking for something in particular from DrinkStore I'll ask in advance. On the other hand, I think DrinkStore is usually a smidge cheaper.

BeerNut wrote: »
    They both get their speciality beers from the same handful of importers and they both carry the rare stuff that there's only a few cases of in the country. If one seems better than the other it's because it has what you happen to be looking for at that moment.

Redmond's does have the advantage of being able to put everything out on the shelves and is more browseable. If I'm looking for something in particular from DrinkStore I'll ask in advance. On the other hand, I think DrinkStore is usually a smidge cheaper.

So we're both right........but I'm slightly more right? In your face AnonoBoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Zaharof

Next Door off license in Sundrive Road, D12 (opposite superquin) has a varied selection including Russian and Ukraine stuff. Also has a beer tasting club which meets everysooften in the cellar. Import their own or so Im led to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

Also recommend Probus, its a great addition to the neighbourhood.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Zaharof wrote: »
    Import their own or so Im led to believe.
    No, same regular suppliers as everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Zaharof

BeerNut wrote: »
    No, same regular suppliers as everyone else.
    Fair nuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Its called Probus Wines on Fenian St at its junction with Denzille Lane just down the street from the Gingerman Pub

Didn't that place used to be a Booze To Go branch until recently? How old is Probus as I do not remember seeing it there last summer for example.

gurramok wrote: »
    Didn't that place used to be a Booze To Go branch until recently? How old is Probus as I do not remember seeing it there last summer for example.

Yep. Used to be a Booze to Go branch. Pretty sure Probus has been there for about the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Molloy's on Francis Street has a decent selection although wouldnt be in the same league as Redmonds in Ranelagh. Must check out this drinkstore sometime.

Haven't been in Probus since it changed from Booze 2 Go - is it still the same setup i.e. you order from behiind the glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

walk past it every day and I've never been in. That'll change.

Haven't been in Probus since it changed from Booze 2 Go - is it still the same setup i.e. you order from behiind the glass?[/QUOTE]

No 24hr service station type glass partition there, just a very helpful owner/manager.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

has any anyone got a phone number for Probus Wines on Fenian St?

I am far to lazy to walk around the corner :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

They seem to have a shop in galway

(091)552084

you could ring them and ask?

wait

01 662 9649

there you go

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Baggot Street Wines is very good for beers, only opened a few months ago but about 200+ craft beers in there. Also do deals on some of them too (4 or 5 bottles for a tenner on some).
    And beer (and wine/spirit)tastings during the week. Always good to talk to the brewers before you buy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Too lazy to google it too it seems! :p

Advertisement