Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8mm to DVD Conversion

Options
  • 23-11-2011 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

I have about a dozen 5" reels of 8mm film that I would like to have converted to DVD format.

These were old home movies taken by my dad in the 60's and 70's

My Brother had them converted 2 years back, by a local company who it seems projected them onto a screen and used a video cam and the results were appalling. The screen was either damaged/punctured or the lens was dirty but there are yellow pin holes in the same place in all of the film. Apparently this company did not do the work in-house but farmed it out.

Can someone please recommend me someone who will do a reasonable quality job on a format conversion preferably on a frame by frame machine, rather than projection?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Search this board for "8mm" and you'll likely find answers. This has been asked a couple of times before. Some were referrring to 8mm magnetic and other to the 8mm cine which is sounds like you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DaithiDublin

I had the same thing done last year for some super 8 my dad took in 1980. I can't remember the name of the company, but I still have the guys mobile number. Leo was his name, 087 243 4474. He was based out in Tallaght, just off the M50 in a little community enterprise type place.
    There was about 50 minutes of film and it cost me around 60-80 quid. Including 2 extra discs.
    The quality was just as I remembered the originals were on the old projector. There was nothing fancy about the packaging, just a straight transfer. But the quality of the transfer was top notch. Now that I have it on DVD I can pop that on the computer and use some software to edit out my dad's fascination with filming trees more than the family! Your post just reminded me that I was meant to do that a year ago! :¬)

Advertisement