Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishery officers. Not bailiffs.

Options
  • 23-11-2011 1:06pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As a mark of respect to fishery officers, we need to see a formal forum policy of not tolerating the use of the word 'bailiff'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

just wondering are you a bailiff yourself slowburner?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

what are bailiffs anyway, i only ever heard of fishery officers to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

A bailiff (from Late Latin baiulivus, adjectival form of baiulus) is a governor or custodian (cf. bail); a legal officer to whom some degree of authority, care or jurisdiction is committed.

really nothing to be ashamed of.....

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭effluent

Bailiff implies someone who confiscates equipment. It isn't fair considering Fisheries Officers carry out survey work, reparation work, fish audits, work on fisheries promotion work and assist anglers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

just wondering are you a bailiff yourself slowburner?
    No, I am not nor have I ever been a bailiff. I have never even met a bailiff.
    If you are wondering what my connection with fisheries is, I was a fishery officer and fishery manager for many years.
    rpmcmurphy wrote: »
    what are bailiffs anyway, i only ever heard of fishery officers to be honest
    That is good to hear.
    dardevle wrote: »
    A bailiff (from Late Latin baiulivus, adjectival form of baiulus) is a governor or custodian (cf. bail); a legal officer to whom some degree of authority, care or jurisdiction is committed.
    really nothing to be ashamed of.....

Here is a more contemporary definition of the word bailiff;
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bailiff

Folks.
    Whether you intend to insult fishery officers deliberately or not - calling them 'bailiff' is taken by fishery officers to be an insult.

When you call fishery officers, bailiffs, you are making a statement that you have no respect for state protection of our fisheries. You are making it quite clear about which side of the line you are on.

I would expect to hear the word used by poachers, recidivists, and general gurriers - not by decent law abiding anglers.

Would you call a policeman, a pig?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

perhaps a link to when the historical use of the term 'water bailiff' ceased to exist and was replaced by 'fisheries officer' would be helpful. (not from the urban dictionary please!).

boil it down and it becomes a matter of semantics.....to someone of my age they will always be bailiffs - its what i have known them as for almost 40 years fishing and it does not in any way colour my admiration for the person or of the quality of the work they do.

to try and attach a distasteful definition to the term Bailiff by referencing the UD would not sway me, neither will attaching abusive terms to those who continue to use the word bailiff in the proper context.

...likewise i would never use a term i consider extreme abuse towards a policeman but i would call a policeman a 'garda' or 'officer of the law' and still attach all respect to whichever term used.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

dardevle wrote: »

perhaps a link to when the historical use of the term 'water bailiff' ceased to exist and was replaced by 'fisheries officer' would be helpful. (not from the urban dictionary please!).
    Here is a link and an excerpt from the 1939 Fisheries Act
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1939/en/act/pub/0017/print.html#sec48

(a) the words “water keeper” shall be substituted for the words “water bailiff” wherever the latter words occur;

(b) the words “water keepers” shall be substituted for the words “water bailiffs” wherever the latter words occur;

(c) the word “keeper” shall be substituted for the word “bailiff” wherever the latter word occurs;

(d) the word “keepers” shall be substituted for the word “bailiffs” wherever the latter word occurs.
    'Water keeper' is no longer used and the title 'fishery officer' should be substituted.

boil it down and it becomes a matter of semantics.....to someone of my age they will always be bailiffs - its what i have known them as for almost 40 years fishing and it does not in any way colour my admiration for the person or of the quality of the work they do.
    I am very pleased that you have admiration for fishery officers but I would respectfully ask you to demonstrate this by not calling them bailiffs.

to try and attach a distasteful definition to the term Bailiff by referencing the UD would not sway me, neither will attaching abusive terms to those who continue to use the word bailiff in the proper context.
    Of course there are those who mean no harm by calling fishery officers bailiffs - it is simply a question of being ill informed about the implications of using the term.
    I can only speak from experience.

...likewise i would never use a term i consider extreme abuse towards a policeman but i would call a policeman a 'garda' or 'officer of the law' and still attach all respect to whichever term used.
    Then why use the word bailiff?
    Surely, now you know it is taken by fisheries staff to be abusive :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

With the state of angling in this country and the various threats at the door of our rivers and lakes I can't believe this cr@p. Talk about splitting hairs, I'm much more interested in number of water keepers (or whatever), number of investigations into illegal fish taking operatives and toxic sh*t spreaders per district, country etc, etc. Stuff that has some meaning.

I'm going to start an angling thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

whelzer wrote: »
    With the state of angling in this country and the various threats at the door of our rivers and lakes I can't believe this cr@p. Talk about splitting hairs, I'm much more interested in number of water keepers (or whatever), number of investigations into illegal fish taking operatives and toxic sh*t spreaders per district, country etc, etc. Stuff that has some meaning.

I'm going to start an angling thread!

You're posting on an angling thread!
    It's a discussion forum for discussing all aspects of angling. There are many many threads dealing with the issues you list above and will be many more.
    By all means start another thread. But no need to take a swipe at any other mans thread;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

slowburner wrote: »
    As a mark of respect to fishery officers, we need to see a formal forum policy of not tolerating the use of the word 'bailiff'.

To get back on topic.....

I don't really have an issue with the word "Bailiff" per se. But the context it's used in betimes implies a negative slant on the job of Fishery Officer.

What I do have a problem with is using the term along side lazy or useless etc. This I find insulting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

I wrote here recently of a positive expierience with a baliff
    Not sure of the point of this thread
    Its merely your opinion
    In mine i would never associate the word baliff with negativity?
    Can somebody put this thread out of its misery?
    Bizzum wrote: »
    slowburner wrote: »

To get back on topic.....

I don't really have an issue with the word "Bailiff" per se. But the context it's used in betimes implies a negative slant on the job of Fishery Officer.

What I do have a problem with is using the term along side lazy or useless etc. This I find insulting.

fisherking wrote: »
    I wrote here recently of a positive expierience with a baliff
    Not sure of the point of this thread
    Its merely your opinion
    In mine i would never associate the word baliff with negativity?
    Can somebody put this thread out of its misery?
    No, it is not just an opinion, it is an enactment of the law (see post #8 above).
    I am delighted however, that you had a positive experience with a fishery officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I don't think anyone means any disrespect whatsoever by calling a fishery officer a bailiff.
    I'm not sure of the intention of this thread apart from having a rant but its of no benefit to the forum and its starting to upset people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement