Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSA ad and loaded weapon

Options
  • 23-11-2011 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/shock-film-takes-aim-at-dangerous-drivers-2942524.html

Seemingly off topic that a road saftey film should be mentioned on a shooting board.However if you watch this,there is a very negative portryal of firearms in this as well.
    Nothing against doing anything to make our roads safe,and getting idiot people in charge of much more leathl weaponary to slow down..But does it have to be equating firearms[especially handguns..again!!] with reckless driving????:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M2A56vvTk4

having watched this ad on youtube,
    dont thik it'll have the intendes impact on younger drivers as it hopes,

all i could see was fast cars and guns = more fun
    most will change the channel by the time it gets to end

If deemed not apppropriate to shooting forum by all means delete

my main point is how guns are protrayed in the ad

If gun owner claim that guns are no more dangerous that cars is dissmissed then should the cars in the hands of some young drivers are likened to loaded weapons also be dissmisssed as it potrays firearms as the offensive implement and not the driver

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

The usual BS from the the people we unwillingly pay to live in very comfy lifestyles.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Think a thread merge is needed.:P

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Don't see how this ad would change anyones perception of guns. Of course guns are dangerous in the wrong hands... nothing new there ... but most people won't even reflect on the role of the gun in the (weak) ad anyway.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Think a thread merge is needed.:P

agreed :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Grizzly45 wrote:
    Think a thread merge is needed.tongue.gif
    4gun wrote: »
    agreed :o

Done.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Don't see how this ad would change anyones perception of guns. Of course guns are dangerous in the wrong hands... nothing new there ... but most people won't even reflect on the role of the gun in the (weak) ad anyway.

Apart from "Oh they are as dangerous as guns[true enough] in the wrong hands,so maybe they should be regulated more.!"Cars that is.
    However,is this necessary that they pick on the next societal scapegoat of all our ills?
    You 'd swear the Ad was a trailer for a gangsta flick with Irish undertones.
    [And it is a crap ad anyway]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Gay " i've made bad investments so need a cushy number" byrne strikes again, he interferes too much with the motorist/motorcyclists in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

In fairness the gun is just a metaphor and I seriously dont think its anything we should worry about. Its not a reflection on gun owners and I doubt anyone would see it as such. So dont worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Apart from "Oh they are as dangerous as guns[true enough] in the wrong hands

It should really be the other way around - guns, in the wrong hands - can be as dangerous as the cars on the street.

There was a statistic on the TV the other night - something like 50,000 - yes that is "fifty thousand" people killed on the roads and 10 times that maimed, since they started keeping records - only in 1951.
    That has to be a higher attrition rate that the bloody gulf war - and they claim that a 6 shot 22 revolver is dangerous ......

B'Man ",)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/shock-film-takes-aim-at-dangerous-drivers-2942524.html

Seemingly off topic that a road saftey film should be mentioned on a shooting board.However if you watch this,there is a very negative portryal of firearms in this as well.
    Nothing against doing anything to make our roads safe,and getting idiot people in charge of much more leathl weaponary to slow down..But does it have to be equating firearms[especially handguns..again!!] with reckless driving????:(

Well to turn things around,your firearm is a loaded car:D
    Would probably be more right according to statistics.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Cars should be banned and then crushed with Gaybo in the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

In fairness Gaybo had nothing to do with this.
    The concept for the film came from a guy in university who won a competition to try to bring awareness to young drivers of how dangerous a car (and more particularly stupid behaviour in a car) can be.
    Whether you like the film or not,if it stops one person from being killed or injured it will have done its job.
    As regards the use of guns as metaphors for danger,jeez lads lighten up.
    Maybe they should have used egg-whisks instead-those things are deadly.
    But then again that would probably upset someone in the cookery forum

Even if Gaybo had nothing to do with this, I bet you he'll claim it anyway, himself and George Hook are our saviour's two muppets.

marlin vs wrote: »
    Even if Gaybo had nothing to do with this, I bet you he'll claim it anyway, himself and George Hook are our saviour's two muppets.
    +1 Marlin :D Especially when George abhors gun's and Gaybo loves Bishop Casey.See i'm talking to myself.

Vizzy wrote: »
    The concept for the film came from a guy in university who won a competition to try to bring awareness to young drivers of how dangerous a car (and more particularly stupid behaviour in a car) can be.
    Whether you like the film or not,if it stops one person from being killed or injured it will have done its job.

how many will watch untill the end of the ad ?
    all I saw of the ad was a gang of young lads driving around at speed waving their guns around have a laugh
    the very last few seconds they crash??
    poorly thought out for one thing whoever concieved the idea knows feckall about guns and feckall about the little yobs that this ad is intended for...they are too stupid to be any way concerned by the message of this ad
    if they want to stop young lads abusing their vehicles on the road the best way to do so ...if they are to be compared to guns is to confiscate the car on a permanant basis for excessive speed and dangerous driving
    thats what would happen if you are using your gun in a unsatisfactory manner
    these gobsh**es have killed and injured more people in this country that any gun
    we try to say that guns are safer than cars in the hands of a responsible person and its not accepted by the authorities
    so why should the shooting community accept it when they say that cars in the hands of a unresponsible yob are as dangerous as guns
    it all comes down to guns dont kill people...people do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If I used my guns with the same level of irresponsibility as a sizeable minority of eejits on the road uses their cars I would not be one bit surprised to see my local Garda arriving at the door and demanding that I hand over my guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Vizzy wrote: »

Awareness to young drivers ? wasting their time airing it on rte then , no one but the mentally deficent and people over 60 watch rte.

Advertisement