Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Claim your tax!

• 23-11-2011 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

Hello ladies,

I'm sure this is more of a taxation thread, but just wanted to tell everyone with the amount of people reading AH.

Just got off the phone to the revenue and I'm due 900 quid back for rent tax for 2010/2011. She's sent a cheque in the post which is just GREAT leading up the Christmas!

Anyway, I hadn't a clue what I was due back until I rang them up, so if you've been paying rent for the year and you're working, give them a shout and see if you're due something back. Could be a little brucie leading up to the Christmas shopping etc etc.

Peace.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

P21 form I believe.

It's a double edged sword this.

"I" owe €700 and when I say I, I mean the lazy bastard in payroll who didn't do their job back in 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

And for those who are unaware of it it can also show up any under payment.
    Alot of people caught out recently for falsely claiming One parent credit when co-habiting with someone so just be carefull before you ring....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Sykk wrote: »
    Hello ladies,

I'm sure this is more of a taxation thread, but just wanted to tell everyone with the amount of people reading AH.

Just got off the phone to the revenue and I'm due 900 quid back for rent tax for 2010/2011. She's sent a cheque in the post which is just GREAT leading up the Christmas!

Anyway, I hadn't a clue what I was due back until I rang them up, so if you've been paying rent for the year and you're working, give them a shout and see if you're due something back. Could be a little brucie leading up to the Christmas shopping etc etc.

Peace.

Bet you the cheque bounces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

I sent away for that rent alllowance months ago and never heard anything :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

dahat wrote: »
    Alot of people caught out recently for falsely claiming One parent credit when co-habiting with someone so just be carefull before you ring....

Yes, we wouldn't want people falsely claiming welfare to get 'caught out'.

That'd be just awful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

PAYE refunds are easy. just register at paye anytime online and click the button requesting a P21. Its usually done the same day.

PRSI refunds is a different one all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

I've been paying rent for years and never once claimed relief. Just sent off a form for rent relief for my current address.

I lived in an apartment from Jun 2006 to Jun 2010 and didn't claim relief for rent paid there. I think I can still claim for some of it but am unable to get my previous landlords PPS number. His phone number has changed. Is there any way I can get it without having the number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

HOS 1997 wrote: »
    I've been paying rent for years and never once claimed relief. Just sent off a form for rent relief for my current address.

I lived in an apartment from Jun 2006 to Jun 2010 and didn't claim relief for rent paid there. I think I can still claim for some of it but am unable to get my previous landlords PPS number. His phone number has changed. Is there any way I can get it without having the number?

You need the PPS number and the landlord's name and address. You've probably got a good incentive to track him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

The vast bulk of reviews for previous tax years end up with a balanced review (you don't get anything back or owe anything) because you stayed in the same job and your circumstances did not change.

Refunds are generated in two ways. The first is you overpaid tax in a given year by maybe having multiple employments which weren't set up correctly or you were missing one of your standard credits.
    The second is you claim additional credits or reliefs like the rent tax credit or medical expenses.
    Refunds can only occur if you were employed and paying tax in the year you are claiming for.

Underpayments can occur mainly in two ways. The first is an undeclared source of income like Jobseekers benefit which gets added to your other income for the year. The second is again having multiple employments in a given year where the employer had incorrect information and undertaxed you.

The easiest way to check how the last few years looked for you is to use the PAYE Anytime service which shows you your pay and tax details for the last 4 years. You can see if you paid tax, what credits you claimed and what's available to claim. It's all colour coded and has several videos on how to use it. Unless you think your claim is out of the ordinary, there is no need to use a taxation service like taxback.com.

ejmaztec wrote: »

You need the PPS number and the landlord's name and address. You've probably got a good incentive to track him down.

PPS number of the landlord is optional. Nice if you have it but ok if you don't so long as you have a full name and address for the landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Send it without it. Fill the form without the landlord's pps, email it. They'll have him on record.
    I've claimed twice in a few years and never included the LL's PPS number.

They should respond to your email within 24 hours to confirm the receipt and the processing of it. Bear in mind - If you're claiming for the current year - no refund, a tax credit adjustment will be made and you'll get the benefit on your next paycheque. Be sure to get your amended tax credit cert from the website as soon as it is done, and get it to your payroll in time for the next payment run (they should be checking this themselves, but i would make sure they get it)

Previous years will be refunded by way of transfer or cheque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

PPS number of the landlord is optional. Nice if you have it but ok if you don't so long as you have a full name and address for the landlord.

I like having the full picture, and it avoids complications when someone gets the wrong address, and sometimes even the wrong name.:(

If there's complications the revenue will let you know within 24 hours. If there's not, you'll have your money within the week. (opt for the transfer!)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

Is there a revenue office on O'Connell Street. Fairly sure my land baron is going tax free.

I like having the full picture, and it avoids complications when someone gets the wrong address, and sometimes even the wrong name.:(

True. But as some of the claims are for rent paid to a landlord 4 years ago, it can be difficult to get this info. The NPPR and PRTB database along with the RSA database are now giving Revenue more info on landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

My first claim I sent through via post. How long will it take (on average) to receive a response.

When I tried claiming for my previous address on PAYE Anytime I couldn't submit without a PPS number. Is there an email address instead I can use to claim?

Can anyone explain claiming for paying for refuse charges. I buy a couple of bin bags per month and believe I can get tax credits for this.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/contact/dublin-region.html#section2
    There is an office on O'Connell St.

You may want to speak with the PTRB. Are you renting directly from your landlord or is there an agency?

If there's an agency i would highly doubt he is not registering the income.

If he's not registering the income - claim your rent refund from the revenue, that's enough to shop him.

My first claim I sent through via post. How long will it take (on average) to receive a response.

When I tried claiming for my previous address on PAYE Anytime I couldn't submit without a PPS number. Is there an email address instead I can use to claim?

Can anyone explain claiming for paying for refuse charges. I buy a couple of bin bags per month and believe I can get tax credits for this.

Check the contact info on the Revenue website, call them with your PPS number handy and they'll check the status of your refund there and then.

The website will also have an email for your local revenue office to which you can send a scanned R2 form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Delighted:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Delighted:D:D

Not me!!.....know 1 or 2 though and quite large sums involved tbh....going back 3/4 years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Not me!!.....know 1 or 2 though and quite large sums involved tbh....going back 3/4 years

Opposite for me. Separated for years and nice lady in tax office told me to fill out the forms. Ching fecking ching back to 07 :eek::D

Oh happy day, cheques came in one after the other..... bills got cleared one after the other. Nice to hold for a few days though.

Advertisement