Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speeding at Windgates

Options
  • 23-11-2011 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Got a speeding fine for 72 in the 60 Zone at Windgates. What makes it worse is that my girlfriend was convoying in the car behing me, and also got done - 71kph.

Here's the thing - that's not one of the places where the mobile speed cameras can set up.

If it's a Garda with a gun, don't they have to inform the offender of the offence details at the scene?
    (As outlined here)
    http://garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=1726&Lang=1

All we got was the notes in the door.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

No they don't have to inform you at the scene. There's two way that the Gardaí can catch you - one is with a handheld device and the second is with a fixed radar gun on a tripod connected to further equipment in a jeep/car. They come after you with the first setup, but you just get simple notification in the post & a picture I believe (?), with the second. I've never been caught the second way so I'm not 100% sure.

The Gardaí are not confined to the mobile speed enforcement zones of the new mobile vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

Thanks for the reply. Even if it's not what I wanted to hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I was lucky that day, cars were flashing so I knew it lay ahead. It is parked in the worst possible place, you've just crested the hill and are picking up momentum on the greystones side... unless you break to keep under 60. Sneaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Am I right in thinking its 80Kph on the road from Bray roundabout to Windgates, but 60Kph from Windgates into Greystones?

Yep - That's right. I was sure it was 80 all the way, and then 50 after windgates (down towards Lidl)

But no. 60 at the crest of the hill.
    http://g.co/maps/gzhr4

Very sneaky for them to be there. Also, I would have thought that the fact I wasn't doing 80 or above would indicate that I was slowing down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tiradon

I have always found it odd how the Gardaí go about "speed prevention". They say it's about safety and reducing fatalities on the roads but surely the way to go about that is to prevent speeding in the first place rather than retrospective punishment. A sign saying there's a speed-check ahead will have the instant impact of slowing cars down. A fine in the post after the fact will not.

I agree. The very fact that they are 'catching' people speeding only goes to show that they aren't doing their jobs right in the first place. They should be preventing us from speeding at all.

The UK way is the best. Speed traps, illuminated so you know they are there. Placed at places where there are accidents or outside schools - then you have no choice but to slow down.

'Catching' people on down slopes...it's not right I tells ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

gavinjc wrote: »
    I agree. The very fact that they are 'catching' people speeding only goes to show that they aren't doing their jobs right in the first place. They should be preventing us from speeding at all.

The UK way is the best. Speed traps, illuminated so you know they are there. Placed at places where there are accidents or outside schools - then you have no choice but to slow down.

'Catching' people on down slopes...it's not right I tells ya!

Its not their job to prevent you from speeding, we all know the rules, its up to ourselves to stick to them. Its their job to punish us for breaking them.
    Ok, the 60 limit on the way down is a little slow (Bikes can actually overtake you) but thats the rule.

Before you do the crime, think about the time....shamone!

No Mullie - I checked - nothing is my fault ;)

Once I crest the hill I usually put the car into 5th gear and take my foot off the accelerator all the way down the hill. sometimes I have to resort to 4th or 3rd if the guy in front keeps hitting the brakes, despite him being well inside the speed limit (some people just like the view!)

The Southern Cross road is also a regular one for speed traps - defo stick to the 60k limit here..

But its the damn cyclists that do my head in on that stretch of road!

• Advertisement

I'm 12 years driving, no points - and to be honest I try to stick to the limits.

The cyclists - that deserves a whole new thread though doesn't it?

Those Bray Wheelers - I think they need a sit down road safety class like the ones kids get in primary school. SINGLE FILE lads.

I'm 12 years driving, no points - and to be honest I try to stick to the limits.

The cyclists - that deserves a whole new thread though doesn't it?

Those Bray Wheelers - I think they need a sit down road safety class like the ones kids get in primary school. SINGLE FILE lads.

Cyclists are allowed, by law, to cycle two abreast actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

The widely ignored 50 kph zone is directly outside my house and Ive been battling for years with the council and guards to enforce the limit or put in traffic calming or something to encourage people to observe the limit from the Grove on towards Esso where volume of traffic slows people down.

I have a letter from Wicklow County Council roads department basically mocking me for suggesting traffic calming on the 50 kph stretch. They pointed out that this was the second most strategically important road in the county which they wanted to traffic to flow unhindered - WHY MAKE IT A 50 ZONE THEN??

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pansyflower

From Rules of the Road

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=rules+of+the+road&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rotr.ie%2F&ei=UXbNTsSaMZSt8QPA57niAQ&usg=AFQjCNH4ZYgcEifteumrdmZR_hdkvd7rHA&sig2=qbu5lvA_GOapmD__qnlwDQ

Open to interpretation:-

Do cycle in single file if cycling beside another person would endanger, inconvenience or block other traffic or pedestrians.

• Do cycle in single file in heavy traffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

From Rules of the Road

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=rules+of+the+road&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rotr.ie%2F&ei=UXbNTsSaMZSt8QPA57niAQ&usg=AFQjCNH4ZYgcEifteumrdmZR_hdkvd7rHA&sig2=qbu5lvA_GOapmD__qnlwDQ

Open to interpretation:-

Do cycle in single file if cycling beside another person would endanger, inconvenience or block other traffic or pedestrians.

• Do cycle in single file in heavy traffic

This has been discussed countless times in the cycling forum and probably the motoring forum. Basically cyclists often feel it's safer to cycle two abreast and are legally entitled to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

OP did you get a nice photo of yourself too? Do you know where roughly the van was?

I have seen the vans alright parked up on the run up to Windgates - just after the climbing lane on the left heading to Bray. Beside the steel bunker on the left of the road where there's plenty of space to perch a van.

Google Streetview

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

[/QUOTE]

Cyclists are allowed, by law, to cycle two abreast actually.[/Quote]

Yes, but common sense kindda says single file...

Yes, but common sense kindda says single file...
    Whos common sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Mullie wrote: »
    Its not their job to prevent you from speeding, we all know the rules, its up to ourselves to stick to them. Its their job to punish us for breaking them.
    Ok, the 60 limit on the way down is a little slow (Bikes can actually overtake you) but thats the rule.

Before you do the crime, think about the time....shamone!

Your wrong there buddy they're all about the crime prevention. Just take a look at their website. I took this off it.
    Some of An Garda Síochána’s core functions include:
    • the detection and prevention of crime;
    • ensuring our nation’s security;
    • reducing the incidence of fatal and serious injuries on our roads and improving road safety;
    • working with communities to prevent anti-social behaviour;
    • promoting an inter-agency approach to problem solving and improving the overall quality of life
    • Hiding in bushes to catch and punish people driving a tad over the speed limit in low risk areas.

Ok so I added in the last one just to make those lazy f'ers at Windgates and Kilmac look a bit better :D

• Advertisement

This has gone somewhat off topic now.
    Plastik wrote: »
    Cyclists are allowed, by law, to cycle two abreast actually.

Nobody said it was against the law. It just isn't safe. And to be honest, I don't have a thing against cyclists, or cycling organisations in general. But I feel that Bray Wheelers do their club a disservice on the Wicklow roads by cycling with a disregard for other motorists. It's not the Tour de France, guys.

From not being single file on small roads such as Glendalough -> Roundwood to cycling in packs past exits/entrances to the N11 - It's just bad road safety practice where they should be setting an example.

astrofluff wrote: »
    OP did you get a nice photo of yourself too? Do you know where roughly the van was?

I have seen the vans alright parked up on the run up to Windgates - just after the climbing lane on the left heading to Bray. Beside the steel bunker on the left of the road where there's plenty of space to perch a van.

Google Streetview

No Photo of myself, just the reg plate. Worryingly, I didn't see any van or anything. I can normally sense them almost! Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

It's getting so a driver can't ignore the speed limits anywhere these days..

This has gone somewhat off topic now.

Nobody said it was against the law. It just isn't safe. And to be honest, I don't have a thing against cyclists, or cycling organisations in general. But I feel that Bray Wheelers do their club a disservice on the Wicklow roads by cycling with a disregard for other motorists. It's not the Tour de France, guys.

From not being single file on small roads such as Glendalough -> Roundwood to cycling in packs past exits/entrances to the N11 - It's just bad road safety practice where they should be setting an example.

It's considered very safe, probably among the safest way of all for a group of large cyclists to proceed. It forces other road users to treat cyclists as they would any other slow moving vehicle and plan their way around. If the group was single file it would be twice the length and would be more difficult to pass. You would either not get past due to the sheer length of the procession or if tempted to squeeze by would run a serious risk of touching a bike should something be coming in the other direction. When on the N11 passing exits it's surely much faster for a group 2 abreast only 10 in length to pass at 30kph that one that is in single file but 20 long.

I cycle a lot and have been out with the Wheelers a few times but I'm not a member of their club. I have been out with many other clubs though and the Wheelers do nothing out of the ordinary in comparison to what you would find anywhere else in the country, so in that sense they're certainly not doing their clubs a disservice in my opinion.

We're running down the classic motorist v cyclist debate here though while being completely off topic. I also drive so see it from both sides, but since becoming an active cyclist I have learned that just a little patience is needed while in the car.

It's considered very safe, probably among the safest way of all for a group of large cyclists to proceed. It forces other road users to treat cyclists as they would any other slow moving vehicle and plan their way around. If the group was single file it would be twice the length and would be more difficult to pass. You would either not get past due to the sheer length of the procession or if tempted to squeeze by would run a serious ris........

Points taken and duly noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

The main Bray-Greystones road at Windgates is dangerously fast. Walkers needing to cross the road have to be extremely careful, especially at the top of the road at Windgates itself. I am amazed there have not been people killed. There is no real need for high speeds on this road, and traffic calming is clearly in order.

I am amazed there have not been people killed.

Probably because you can see for a good distance in either direction, other than at the crest. But there's only footpath on one side of the road there so nobody is crossing at that point.

It's considered very safe, probably among the safest way of all for a group of large cyclists to proceed. It forces other road users to treat cyclists as they would any other slow moving vehicle and plan their way around. If the group was single file it would be twice the length and would be more difficult to pass. You would either not get past due to the sheer length of the procession or if tempted to squeeze by would run a serious risk of touching a bike should something be coming in the other direction. When on the N11 passing exits it's surely much faster for a group 2 abreast only 10 in length to pass at 30kph that one that is in single file but 20 long.

I cycle a lot and have been out with the Wheelers a few times but I'm not a member of their club. I have been out with many other clubs though and the Wheelers do nothing out of the ordinary in comparison to what you would find anywhere else in the country, so in that sense they're certainly not doing their clubs a disservice in my opinion.

We're running down the classic motorist v cyclist debate here though while being completely off topic. I also drive so see it from both sides, but since becoming an active cyclist I have learned that just a little patience is needed while in the car.

I'll still enjoy beeping at them, I just wont get so annoyed in future!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

"But there's only footpath on one side of the road there so nobody is crossing at that point."

There are bus stops on both sides of the road at that point. I found that crossing pretty scary on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Yes, where the bus stops are there is footpath on both sides. But you can see fairly well from where the bus stops are.

Funnily enough, they are still in the 80kph zone :confused:

I actually think that's a pretty stupid place for Dublin Bus to have put stops anyway - not safe in terms of stopping traffic - they should be over the crest and further down towards greystones.

I drove past there last night incidentally, and 60kph is a perfectly reasonable speed to be doing past there (some say even less - irregardless) so I was very much in the wrong to be doing 72, if in fact I was.

In conclusion to my original post - the Gardaí don't have to stop you to catch you speeding. Enough said on all this I'd say.

Advertisement