Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of fishing is this rod for

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭jodie85

The rod is a match rod and is generally used for float fishing for coarse species rudd, roach ,perch, gudgeon etc.
    Its an ok buy at 60 i suppose
    I dont know about using it off piers do match rods are light

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tidyweb

i suppose going out on boats trout fishing is where i would use it.

Would it do the trick,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Tidyweb wrote: »
    i suppose going out on boats trout fishing is where i would use it.

Would it do the trick,

if you are fishing with worms it would be idea. would not be great for using spinners, and no good for fly fishing!. Fly fishing needs a special rod

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shanemurphyboy

I used a match rod one day fishing for mackeral, wouldnt recommend it, the butt of the rod was bending but was the best scrap ive ever had off a mackeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

If you're not good at fly fishing you can use a match rod to fish with a nymph. 3 pellets with 6-7 inches in between them and a foot to the hook. Cast with a back hand with the spool open and your left hand holding the line up and across. You fish with the line on your left hand all the time and feel the takes like this.

I first was taught trout fishing like this in France and it's tremendous craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jay tipperary

Tidyweb wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what type of fishing you would use this for?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002Q4UE04?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I dont fish much and catch nothing when I do!

I want a general rod i can fish in rivers lakes piers etc.

Is it worth buying at €60.

Thanks[/QUOTE

yeah that a Coarse match rod if ya want too fish off the piers u need to get a
    diff rod http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004AHLTJU Shakespeare have good rods

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

i think that set is sold at argos aswell, it seems ok but your better off just goin into a tackle shop and gettin the right advice and gear for the same price, browning are a good brand but i still wouldnt be too keen buying that set online like that. there is surely a tackle shop close by, u should get a better deal

• Registered Users Posts: 41 gashead

i think that set is sold at argos aswell, it seems ok but your better off just goin into a tackle shop and gettin the right advice and gear for the same price, browning are a good brand but i still wouldnt be too keen buying that set online like that. there is surely a tackle shop close by, u should get a better deal

Tony's right. Try your local tackle shop. I've always found tackle shops to be straight up. They'd rather your repeat business than rip you off. If you go in looking for a rod, reel, line etc they'll usually do a good deal with lots of advice as well. Not in the trade but love wandering around and the chat in the shops.

Just remembered that driving back from Swords Co Dublin they are advertising the fishing expo for February. I got a couple of great deals last year (better show than 'Hooked' in City West). Might be worth bearing in mind.

Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

gashead wrote: »
    Just remembered that driving back from Swords Co Dublin they are advertising the fishing expo for February. I got a couple of great deals last year (better show than 'Hooked' in City West). Might be worth bearing in mind.

Sam

where is that expo on? what kinda deals would they have?

• Advertisement

Last year's was in the exhibition centre on the old road to swords. Most traders had offers on tackle and i heard were willing to haggle. Lots of demos and talks as well.

Advertisement