Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build finished, quick question about GPU fan

Options
  • 23-11-2011 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi

First of all I'd like to thank everyone on this forum, it's very helpful.

My order from HWVS arrived yesterday and my PC is now up and running :D First time I assembled a PC and it was quite easy, although I had some trouble installing the CPU cooler and dealing with a mess of cables.
    It wouldn't boot up at first and the motherboard indicated a memory problem, so I reinstalled the memory sticks and everything has been working fine since.

However the GPU fans (Gigabyte GTX570 OC) fire up to 70% when windows boots and remain at that speed permanently. I've installed MSI Afterburner and it keeps them at 40% which is much lower.

Is there a way to control the fan normally (low at idle, and increases with load obviously) without these extra programs? Could it be a BIOS problem?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

MakeNine wrote: »
    Hi

First of all I'd like to thank everyone on this forum, it's very helpful.

My order from HWVS arrived yesterday and my PC is now up and running :D First time I assembled a PC and it was quite easy, although I had some trouble installing the CPU cooler and dealing with a mess of cables.
    It wouldn't boot up at first and the motherboard indicated a memory problem, so I reinstalled the memory sticks and everything has been working fine since.

However the GPU fans (Gigabyte GTX570 OC) fire up to 70% when windows boots and remain at that speed permanently. I've installed MSI Afterburner and it keeps them at 40% which is much lower.

Is there a way to control the fan normally (low at idle, and increases with load obviously) without these extra programs? Could it be a BIOS problem?

Have you downloaded the latest NVidia drivers? They should control the fan speed automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MakeNine

Yeah, I have the latest 285.62 drivers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

MakeNine wrote: »
    Yeah, I have the latest 285.62 drivers

Thats really strange. I don't have an Nvidia card so I don't know how their latest software works, but there should be some way to set the fan controls from it. Have a look through the options in the control center to see if you can find anything, it should be under the overclocking/performance tab.

I've gone through the nVidia control panel several times but can't find any overclocking section or any mention of fan speed :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You can do it through Afterburner.

Settings -> Fan -> Enable user defined software automatic fan control

From there you can set fan speed X for temperature Y, and you can have up to eight points. Double clicking on the whole line will give you linear increases rather than steps.

• Advertisement

Yeah I have it set that way. It's just that I launched demanding games like BF3 and Skyrim and didn't notice any speed incrase. But according to Hardware monitor max temp for the CPU was 42C and 56C for the GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Those are... very good temps. If they're not high they're not high I suppose. Unless of course you have a broken thermistor. :P

(Kidding, I'm sure the card's fine.)

Actually, yeah, I'm sure it is. The cooler Gigabyte use is huge, what's why your temps are so good.

Ok thanks, that's good to know :D

Advertisement