Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canals - Ulster Earne

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Question:
    (1)What canal is this?
    (2)What village was the pic taken in?
    (3)What year was it taken?

1. The grand canal?
    2. Robertstown?
    3. No idea - but those road signs look like 80kmh ones so sometime over the last 10 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bjg

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Have you ever looked at the disused canal on the N72 near Mallow.. I always ment to take a few pics and post them here actually.

Some pics here:

Lombardstown to Mallow Canal
    bjg

Taken looking downstream from the bridge at Vicarstown on the Grand Canal Barrow Line. I don't know the year, I'm afraid. bjg

corktina wrote: »
    yep. Well aware of that rarity...not many canals "down south"

Here are some pics of the Tralee Ship Canal and some of the Blackwater, Bride and Lismore Canal.

bjg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

dogmatix wrote: »
    Question:
    (1)What canal is this?
    (2)What village was the pic taken in?
    (3)What year was it taken?

1. The grand canal?
    2. Robertstown?
    3. No idea - but those road signs look like 80kmh ones so sometime over the last 10 years...

Sorry! Close but no cigar :(
    (1) Grand Canal - yes - but a branch of it.
    (2) It is of course in the Irish midlands - but not Robertstown.
    (3) Yes, within the past 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,706 ✭✭✭jd

There are some canals in South Wexford.
    The Ballybrennan Canal in the South Slobs
    http://iwn.iwai.ie/v27i3/navigationnews.PDF
    4398168612_d6c2b0bd7d.jpg

and the Bridgetown canal at Ballyteigue
    http://slaney.iwai.ie/btown_hist.htm
    http://slaney.iwai.ie/btown.html

mvc-860f.jpg

Also the Castlebridge Canal
    http://iwn.iwai.ie/v26i4/V264P19b.php3

Very interesting site and I thought that I was negative. However, I think that he is entirely wrong about the restoration of the Ulster Canal.

Here I am being negative about another proposed restoration, that of the Park Canal in Limerick. bjg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It looks like the restoration of the Ulster Canal is progressing with a PIN now published and SAQ documents expected to be published on October 20th;

Only 600m but it, the new marina, refurbished Canal Stores and the amenity area will be a great facility for Clones. Phase 3 will be the vast majority of the route but no indication on when it will be funded.

Unfortunately the planning documents are not available on the Monaghan Co Co website. Some more info on the project and CGI clips can be seen here;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

I'd probably have put this in the Greenway thread instead of a thread from 2012! 🤔

Do you know if Phase 1 has a cycleway? I have it on my map as 'planned' but will happily update if that's wrong! (Maybe there's no plans for a towpath there...)

The Greenway element here is pretty small, I thought that the restoration of the canal was more noteworthy. It didn't seem worth creating a new thread when the existing canal thread fits the bill perfectly!

I don't think Phase 1 includes a cycle way, it was mainly dredging an existing river to make it navigatable. This is from the link I provided above;

Phase 1 was completed in 2019 and is open to the public. It included c.2.5 kilometres of new river navigation along the River Finn between Quivvy Lough and Castle Saunderson. The work programme involved the dredging of the River Finn, construction of a new lateral canal and navigation arch at Derrykerrib bridge and the installation of new floating jetty at Castle Saunderson. This element of the project cost €3m.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: I tried to move this toa new thread but did not succeed. Sorry about that.

Why would you move it to a new thread? This thread is about canals and I posted about a canal. There is no point in creating a new thread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: This thread was started a decade ago. It would be better for a new thread.

Advertisement