Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise induced hearing loss

• 23-11-2011 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

I was cycling into a stiffish breeze this morning, doing about 35km/h down a long gradient and started feeling that the wind noise was uncomfortably loud. The discomfort only seemed to ease when I started uphill and my speed dropped to about 20km/h. By this time I'd reached the shelter of a hedgerow so I don't think that the ambient breeze played much of a role at this point. Considering that my average speed for the commute is around 25km/h, that would mean that I spend most of my time cycling with an uncomfortably loud noise in my ears.

Although it is not something I've really noticed until now it got me wondering whether I was doing my hearing any damage by not wearing earplugs.

I have also noticed that I tend to suffer from the odd bout of tinnitus since I started cycling daily.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and experience on the subject.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Wear a beanie that covers your ears. I think you are too conscious of the wind noise, and therefore getting undesirable side effects, whether real or not, if in. doubt, seek professional medical advice, I'm sure your GP can recommend a hearing test or other advice as tinnitus has numerous variables as to its cause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Finally.....a reason to listen to an iPod while cycling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

As someone who's had tinnitus for around 15 years, I'm super conscious of protecting my hearing. However, I haven't experienced any wind noise severe enough to be damaging yet. Maybe I'm not pedaling fast enough! When I rode a motorbike I wore earplugs, but the noise was far greater.
    That said, there is a product called the Spoiler by Slipstreamz which attaches onto your helmet strap and acts as a wind deflector. It's only €5 and going by reviews it seems to work pretty well. Might look into them myself, if only to stop windchill on the ears

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Does discomfort mean pain? If so your not the only one!

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-95677.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I was cycling into a stiffish breeze this morning, doing about 35km/h down a long gradient and started feeling that the wind noise was uncomfortably loud. The discomfort only seemed to ease when I started uphill and my speed dropped to about 20km/h. By this time I'd reached the shelter of a hedgerow so I don't think that the ambient breeze played much of a role at this point. Considering that my average speed for the commute is around 25km/h, that would mean that I spend most of my time cycling with an uncomfortably loud noise in my ears.

Although it is not something I've really noticed until now it got me wondering whether I was doing my hearing any damage by not wearing earplugs.

I have also noticed that I tend to suffer from the odd bout of tinnitus since I started cycling daily.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and experience on the subject.

Sennheiser CX300II earbuds and my Cowon iaudio player cuts the noise nicely...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

Thanks for the replies folks
    xz wrote: »
    Wear a beanie that covers your ears. I think you are too conscious of the wind noise, and therefore getting undesirable side effects, whether real or not, if in. doubt, seek professional medical advice, I'm sure your GP can recommend a hearing test or other advice as tinnitus has numerous variables as to its cause

I tried a sort of a beanie this morning (Lidl headband which was sold as running gear) and with even more of a headwind I felt a vast improvement. I could even hear the cars approaching from behind, which was not possible yesterday. I found myself looking over my shoulder less.

I think you may be right about it being a mind issue too and I'm just too focussed on it at the moment. I'll see if the bouts of tinnitus go away or reduce over the next few weeks. If not then I'll get medical advice.
    bogmanfan wrote: »
    ... there is a product called the Spoiler by Slipstreamz which attaches onto your helmet strap and acts as a wind deflector. It's only €5 and going by reviews it seems to work pretty well. Might look into them myself, if only to stop windchill on the ears

They might be worth looking into for the warmer weather when a headband or beanie would be too warm.
    velo.2010 wrote: »
    Does discomfort mean pain?

No, not like that. I'd be at the doctor in a heartbeat if I had those symptoms.
    cdaly_ wrote: »
    Sennheiser CX300II earbuds and my Cowon iaudio player cuts the noise nicely...

I've tried listening to music before, but I prefer to hear what's going on around me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

I dont think wind noise on a bike is ever loud enough to cause permanent damage to your hearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I've tried listening to music before, but I prefer to hear what's going on around me.

Oh, the earbuds don't block the sound out but just cut the high frequency stuff out. I can still hear the traffic (so long as I don't crank the volume too high)...

Advertisement