Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 International Experience Canada Programme

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Regarding getting a police cert while out of the country guys, my garda station said I could email them a scan of my passport and the list of addresses that I've lived in the last 6 years and that they'll post it to me here in Korea.

Check with your local station in case they do that for you. It might get you out of a fix.

If you just want to get the ball rolling after spending a year in Canada already and you're coming home for a while, email them all the info and have them post it to your family address. That way it will be ready.

Moral of the story: You don't have to be in the country to start the ball rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cmac8

Just got a mail there from USIT saying that the process has changed from last year and that i will need a police cert from my time in Oz four years ago. According to goforless website this process will take up to 8 weeks. Do i need to have all this information before I can apply for my visa because if i do, i doubt that i will be allocated one as I imagine that they will be all taken up by mid feb?

Has anyone applied for something like this before and can offer any advice?

Any help would be appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

cmac8 wrote: »
    Just got a mail there from USIT saying that the process has changed from last year and that i will need a police cert from my time in Oz four years ago. According to goforless website this process will take up to 8 weeks. Do i need to have all this information before I can apply for my visa because if i do, i doubt that i will be allocated one as I imagine that they will be all taken up by mid feb?

Has anyone applied for something like this before and can offer any advice?

Any help would be appreciated

And have the IEC confirmed this? I would take what USIT say with a pinch of salt unless confirmed with the IEC - as of 2012 (could be 2013 though) - USIT will have no affiliation with the IEC and to be honest the IEC cant wait to wash their hands of them so do not take anything USIT say as gospel...

I got a mail from the IEC going through the steps to get you ready for your application yesterday. On this it says if you lived outside the country for a 6 month period in the last 5 years then you have to get a police cert from that country. I have contact UCIT and Go for less today and both said the same so i have to send a form off to Australia with finger prints etc ( and a cost of about 100 euros draft) to get this and they reckon that this will take 4- 8 weeks to process. They said that the FAQ section has not been updated on the site yet (which contradicts it slightly)

I didnt intend on heading over until start of the summer but could have done without the extra hassle

I got a mail from the IEC going through the steps to get you ready for your application yesterday. On this it says if you lived outside the country for a 6 month period in the last 5 years then you have to get a police cert from that country. I have contact UCIT and Go for less today and both said the same so i have to send a form off to Australia with finger prints etc ( and a cost of about 100 euros draft) to get this and they reckon that this will take 4- 8 weeks to process. They said that the FAQ section has not been updated on the site yet (which contradicts it slightly)

I didnt intend on heading over until start of the summer but could have done without the extra hassle

If you are not heading over until the summer then I would not get the police certs yet - this time last year it was the same thing i.e. you needed police certs...I had everything almost ready for Oz and NZ...was so glad I held off as a few weeks after opening the IEC they changed the rules...as they have done numerous times...if you are in no rush I would wait until the IEC opens and the actual rules are laid out...just my 2 cents...

• Advertisement

Appreciate that

Just want to get things sorted as quickly as possible. When did they change the rules last year?

Appreciate that

Just want to get things sorted as quickly as possible. When did they change the rules last year?

About 2 weeks after it opened I think...I remember discussing it in a thread here on boards and someone had just went to the hassle of sending everything off to Oz, fingerprints and paying the money etc. and it literally changed just as I was about to send everything off myself...

If only USIT/GoForLess have said that the FAW is out of date and not the IEC then I would still be sceptical...The IEC run programs for a lot of countries and often the mails they send out are not actually acurate for the actual country i.e. things get slightly mixed up...

all that counts is the actual application form that you download and the rules contained in that...the eligibility criteria changed a good few times last year after the program opened - some people applied early and got refused and people who applied later when things changed a bit got accepted (or vice versa) - even when the circumstances were identical..

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

I've already done 6 months in Canada. When my year is finished, I'm not sure if I want to do my second year straight away.

If I move home is there a maximum period of time after my first year visa has expired that I can wait before applying for your second year?

Ie. If I wait too long is the option of doing a second year gone?

Tight Ted wrote: »
    I've already done 6 months in Canada. When my year is finished, I'm not sure if I want to do my second year straight away.

If I move home is there a maximum period of time after my first year visa has expired that I can wait before applying for your second year?

Ie. If I wait too long is the option of doing a second year gone?

No, they are unrelated - as long as you are under 35 and there are visas available...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 FoosChic

MJRS wrote: »
    Am I reading it wrong or do we no longer need proof of funds?! Or will that be part of the IEC form that goes up when the program opens?

Says on this link you don't! :Dhttp://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/faq.aspx?view=d#ProofFunds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

How does the proof of funds work for people already in canada? 3 grand still required, even though im here and working?

I have the money in the bank at the mo, but am going home for xmas so come january, i'll be near broke again....balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 FoosChic

retalivity wrote: »
    How does the proof of funds work for people already in canada? 3 grand still required, even though im here and working?

I have the money in the bank at the mo, but am going home for xmas so come january, i'll be near broke again....balls.

Think I saw in FAQ section it's 2500 canadian dollars. I'd imagine it would be like us here,when you bring your LOI bring a bank statement with you too. You definitely need the money in the bank though even if you're working there already, mentions it in FAQ

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    About 2 weeks after it opened I think...I remember discussing it in a thread here on boards and someone had just went to the hassle of sending everything off to Oz, fingerprints and paying the money etc. and it literally changed just as I was about to send everything off myself...

If only USIT/GoForLess have said that the FAW is out of date and not the IEC then I would still be sceptical...The IEC run programs for a lot of countries and often the mails they send out are not actually acurate for the actual country i.e. things get slightly mixed up...

all that counts is the actual application form that you download and the rules contained in that...the eligibility criteria changed a good few times last year after the program opened - some people applied early and got refused and people who applied later when things changed a bit got accepted (or vice versa) - even when the circumstances were identical..

Hey FreeAnd.

Are you saying that initially they were looking for police certs from OZ but then changed their mind and said that they weren't?

kraggy wrote: »
    Hey FreeAnd.

Are you saying that initially they were looking for police certs from OZ but then changed their mind and said that they weren't?

Exactamundo....when 2011 opened initally you had to have police certs from every country you lived in for 6 months...then about 3 weeks into the program they changed it to what is currently in the IEC faq i.e. you do not need one (only an irish one - but may be asked for one during the second stage in London...I did not here of one person being asked for them during the London stage)

Unless you are in a huge rush to get to Canada by the end of January (which you shouldnt be because it will be miserable here) - wait until the program opens a while and you download the app form...then if it looks like a definite requirement get the Oz one (I think they're like $180 and require fingerprints which cost money to get done too)...

All in all - if you wait, you would still be here by April time which is the earliest I would reccomend anyone to come

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

Do you have to have a Police Cert issued from Canada if you've been there on a visa before?
    As part of the requirement to provide police certification with my IEC application, do I need to provide a Canadian police certificate if I have previously participated in the initiative?

No. You are not required to provide a copy of a Canadian police certificate with your new application if you have previously participated in the IEC.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/faq.aspx?view=d#PoliceCert

In the Step-by-Step Application Guide for 2012, step 3 is as follows:
    2nd set of documents (admissibility to Canada):
    Application for work permit made outside of Canada (IMM1295) | PDF (222 KB), Instruction Guide (IMM5487), *;

Application for work permit made outside of Canada, does this apply to those who are already in Canada and want to apply a second time? :confused: A confusing title if so! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 somedeed

Apparently, if you apply and the application reaches the IEC, and they acknowledge receiving the application, before you become too old, 34 but turn 35 during the processing, then you are still valid. Does anyone know, if this also the case with living more than 18 months outside of Ireland? The end of January marks my 18th month in Canada, if I get the application to them before then, would I still be valid for the visa?

Have emailed the consulate but they take ages to respond and can't seem to find anyone by phone who can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Demo2011

It's actually 18-35 inclusive so up until the day of your 36th birthday

Must be between the ages of 18 and 35 inclusive at the time your application is received. Your application must be stamped as received by the Office of the Embassy of Canada in London on or after your 18th birthday, and before your 36th birthday;

As for being in Canada, that is covered aswell

Read about the program on the relevant website

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/working_holiday-vacances_travail.aspx?view=d

• Registered Users Posts: 35 somedeed

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it, but what I'm trying to understand is if the age principle also applies to the 18 month rule. Hoping it does, but would prefer to know for sure as it greatly affects my options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Can you still apply for this ?

the program hasnt opened yet....probably will some time in jan

• Advertisement

Emailed the IEC last Monday with this question but still no response. They must be very busy.

The question is, if you apply for a second IEC while in Canada on your first one, will the time you've spent in Canada be used in the habitual residency rule (whereby you have to have spent at least 18 months of the 3 years prior to applying in Ireland).

The reason I ask is because I'm in Korea at the moment so any time spent in Canada will bring me over the 18 months.

Thanks.

kraggy wrote: »
    Emailed the IEC last Monday with this question but still no response. They must be very busy.

The question is, if you apply for a second IEC while in Canada on your first one, will the time you've spent in Canada be used in the habitual residency rule (whereby you have to have spent at least 18 months of the 3 years prior to applying in Ireland).

The reason I ask is because I'm in Korea at the moment so any time spent in Canada will bring me over the 18 months.

Thanks.

unfortunately yes...I had hoped it wouldnt as it brings me over too but only last week someone here confirmed this for me (ill check my recent posts when I get a chance) - they had been rejected due to spending 2 years in Canada...pretty rough...

Also, IEC will more than likely not respond to your emails...if last year is anything to go by you could be waiting a long time...and even then your response wont guarantee acuracy (i.e. they may say one thing but then depending on who is reviewing your application you may be approved/rejected - contrary to what they inform you)

sorry not sure how to grab the post - but its at the end of this - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75728403

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    unfortunately yes...I had hoped it wouldnt as it brings me over too but only last week someone here confirmed this for me (ill check my recent posts when I get a chance) - they had been rejected due to spending 2 years in Canada...pretty rough...

I hadnt thought about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

I hadnt thought about that.

I just did the maths and I come in at 21 months spent in Ireland over the last three years

thank **** I came home early from Canada in 2009 or I wouldn't be able to apply again

ive spent 11 months in the past 3 years living in Ireland.

And i thought id be grand applying for the new visa whenever it opens again. Instead, I have 2 hours left in work today before going on my xmas holidays (back to Ireland) and I have to try and igure out alternatives now, LMO etc. balls.

ive spent 11 months in the past 3 years living in Ireland.

And i thought id be grand applying for the new visa whenever it opens again. Instead, I have 2 hours left in work today before going on my xmas holidays (back to Ireland) and I have to try and igure out alternatives now, LMO etc. balls.

When is your visa up?

I'd still re-apply really, you've nothing to lose

March 2012.
    I was gonna eventually go the LMO route, but I wanted more than 6 months with the company im with before asking them for their assistance.

I'll probably apply regardless for the IEC, but will definitely have to check out other options now too in case....

Mine runs until August, hoping I can get another IEC, because I only started with this company in October, so wouldn't really be confident they'd stick their neck out for me yet!

• Advertisement

Exactly why i dont want to go ask them for an LMO next month

Advertisement