Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bushcraft and utility knives

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

This is the Mora knife I carry with me when hiking Ive made a few mods to the sheath Its a very sharp knife so I drilled the handle and put some paracord through it and added a shock cord light. On the sheath I attached a little pouch I had lying around with 10ft of 550 paracord in this Ive put a small flint and steel 2 plasters Tampon mini swiss army compass 10 water purifiction tablets. On the end of the sheath there is about 10ft of duct tape and a Fox 40 whistle
    IMAG0115.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Do you carry it on your belt or in a bag? It looks good, but a bit bulky maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Nice practical set up grapeape, is the handle plastic? I have used the knives before and I like them but I am adverse to plastics for some reason.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Do you carry it on your belt or in a bag? It looks good, but a bit bulky maybe?
    I carry it on my belt mostly I don't find it bulky its about 1.5 inch

krissovo wrote: »
    Nice practical set up grapeape, is the handle plastic? I have used the knives before and I like them but I am adverse to plastics for some reason.
    It is plastic but it has a rubber coating on it too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Can someone clarify something for me here - what's the difference between a whetstone and a wetstone? Is it just an widespread typo or what? A whet stone is obviously a sharpening stone, whet, to sharpen, but are people mistakenly wetting stones they shouldn't?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I think people are getting mixed up with the pronunciation of whetstone and then throw in the Japanese Waterstone, it's not hard to go a little astray ;)

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I think people are getting mixed up with the pronunciation of whetstone and then throw in the Japanese Waterstone, it's not hard to go a little astray ;)
    I suspected as much, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

grapeape wrote: »
    This is the Mora knife I carry with me when hiking Ive made a few mods to the sheath Its a very sharp knife so I drilled the handle and put some paracord through it and added a shock cord light. On the sheath I attached a little pouch I had lying around with 10ft of 550 paracord in this Ive put a small flint and steel 2 plasters Tampon mini swiss army compass 10 water purifiction tablets. On the end of the sheath there is about 10ft of duct tape and a Fox 40 whistle
    IMAG0115.jpg

Thats great. I have a mora myself, but the sheath it came with is for a right handed person:rolleyes:. However it is nice and sturdy and catches the knife. Was thinking of cutting off the top of the sheath, the belt attachment, which if i wear it for the left hand will be facing out instead of in., then covering the sheath in some black leather i have around, with a belt attachment on the correct to draw it with my left hand.I didn't think of what else might handily fit inside .

Thinking of making

bonniebede wrote: »
    Thats great. I have a mora myself, but the sheath it came with is for a right handed person:rolleyes:. However it is nice and sturdy and catches the knife. Was thinking of cutting off the top of the sheath, the belt attachment, which if i wear it for the left hand will be facing out instead of in., then covering the sheath in some black leather i have around, with a belt attachment on the correct to draw it with my left hand.I didn't think of what else might handily fit inside .

Thinking of making
    the one i have pictured is a left or right hand one as my son is left handed so had to do some checking to get one for him

• Advertisement

grapeape wrote: »
    the one i have pictured is a left or right hand one as my son is left handed so had to do some checking to get one for him

right. The knife itself is fine, not handed, it was just the sheath.

Also, i find other left handed people like me often use righthanded things anyway,like scissors, with some funny adaptations of movement (like writing with your copy sideways)

Ah the trials of being left handed in a right handed world.

Apparently we are on average much more likely to have high intelligence.

And we also die on average 7 years younger.

Too much use of the smart mouth maybe?:)

right. The knife itself is fine, not handed, it was just the sheath.

Also, i find other left handed people like me often use righthanded things anyway,like scissors, with some funny adaptations of movement (like writing with your copy sideways)

Ah the trials of being left handed in a right handed world.

Apparently we are on average much more likely to have high intelligence.

Sorry thats what i ment the sheath is left or right the blade locks in either way

Only the good etc, by which logic I'll still be here come 120. :D

what side do you wear your bushcraft knife on? same side as the hand you use it with or other side for a cross body draw? I know that sounds like i should know, but I 'm making a belt holder for it and can't make up my mind.:o

for me, the same side I hold it on.

what side do you wear your bushcraft knife on? same side as the hand you use it with or other side for a cross body draw? I know that sounds like i should know, but I 'm making a belt holder for it and can't make up my mind.:o
    Depends on the situation really. There's no correct way to do it, but I fasten it top and bottom to something if I'm climbing, along with anything else that might snag.

If I was to wear all of my kit I'd hang it diagonal-inverted across the torso front from my Maxpedition Jumbo, just because there isn't much room for it elsewhere. When its loose on my belt though, which it normally would be, it would be on my right side of course, as I'm right handed.

I guess if for some reason I wanted to conceal it I'd pack it horizontally across the back of my belt or leave it hanging inverted under my left arm if I had something to clip it to. I've never had to do that though, and don't really anticipate needing to.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

If I am just camping/foraging/arsing around in the woods and hills I wear my knife on my right (strong?) side, being right handed.

If I am out hunting I wear my knife on the left, in my pocket/pack or inside waist band, as I carry my rifle slung on my right shoulder.

I saw a near miss once where the knife worn strong side, it released the safety on the rifle and when the gun went to unsling his rifle, there was an accidental discharge :eek:

Thankfully no injuries occurred, but it stuck with me that my rifle needs to be away from any external interference when carried or held.

I have knives with teklocks on the sheath that I wear horizontally on the belt, appendix carry, or clipped upside down on pack straps. It depends on the weather, what I am wearing and how accesible I need my knife to be.

Neck knives get mixed reviews, you need to weigh the utility of having a knife that can be hauled out the neck of a parka against the chance of falling and impaling yourself on that blade.

I only carry neckers in kydex sheaths, leather is too easily punctured, as is my sternum!

Advertisement