Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online payment processing for business

Options
  • 23-11-2011 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Id like to accept laser card on my online shop, but it appears you have to pay setup fee's and monthly fee's of €30+ aswell as transaction fees, im trying to get an online shop of the ground, does anyone know if theres any systems out there like paypal where you just pay on a per transaction basis.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Post moved from the Laser thread in OB&A to the E&BM forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

sk8brder wrote: »
    Id like to accept laser card on my online shop, but it appears you have to pay setup fee's and monthly fee's of €30+ aswell as transaction fees, im trying to get an online shop of the ground, does anyone know if theres any systems out there like paypal where you just pay on a per transaction basis.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

You need to put the monthly charge of 30 Euro into the context of you maybe pushing 10k-20K a month in sales through the site, and as for the rediculous Visa & Mastercard Credit card charges, you need to factor these into the margin you are making on what you are selling...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tangled

Why not accept Paypal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sk8brder

Tangled wrote: »
    Why not accept Paypal?

Im already offering paypal however that only covers people with credit cards. I need to be able to offer my services to people who want to pay by laser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 offlineuser

A few options are paypal, google checkout, alertpay or amazon pay... Most internet merchant account cost a monthly fee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sk8brder

A few options are paypal, google checkout, alertpay or amazon pay... Most internet merchant account cost a monthly fee

I already have paypal which can process credit cards.
    I am looking for a way to accept laser cards since most irish people have a laser card. Im currently doing low volume orders so €30 for the moment per month is to costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tangled

I have my Laser card connected to my Paypal account so that when I make a payment using Paypal I can pay it from my Laser.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Beyond paypal, you're looking at the monthly + transaction fees you quoted.

There's a comparison of irish payment providers here

There were a couple of third party ones I came across before, btu they weren't any cheaper, only worthwhile if you had problem getting a merchant account.

Bear in mind laser is gradually being phased out.

Other than that, start with Paypal until you get your business volume up, then get set up with Realex or the like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 MarkWN

Hi sk8brder,

€30 can seem steep, but when you take in to consideration the rates which you are paying to PayPal (correct me if I'm wrong, 3.5% + 20c per transaction) and the fact that you are missing out on, approx, 40% of the Irish market by not accepting Laser Cards, added to the extra product and service benefits which you would receive from an Irish payment gateway... €30 doesn't seem too bad.

Just out of interest, what would your average transaction value be and, on average, how many transactions per month would you hope to process over the coming year?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭MyBusinez.com

...since most irish people have a laser card.
    /QUOTE]

That may have been true a year or 2 ago but I'm not sure if it still is. Nobody I know has a laser card anymore. A 2 year ago everyone had them. The likes of Visa Debit, Swirl (mastercard money card) and O2 pay-as-you-go cards (Visa debit) are becoming popular. I'm surprised the Laser is still there. Mine got taken off me 2 year ago and replaced with Visa Debit. I know that Realex Payments (Googleit!) accept laser cards but you need a Merchant account for it. Their fee is only around €24 per month.

Would you not consider trying to increase your on-line sales? I have a few ideas that might work for you but would need to know what industry you're in.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 MarkWN

...since most irish people have a laser card.

That may have been true a year or 2 ago but I'm not sure if it still is. Nobody I know has a laser card anymore.

It's still true today. All my friends and associates have Laser Cards. To further reinforce the point; I lost my wallet last week, cancelled my cards and in place of my old Laser Card arrived a new Laser Card.

From speaking to both AIB and BOI, they will be replacing all Laser Cards with Visa Debit cards in the first half of next year. I think BOI plan to have them completely replaced by Q2 2012 and AIB will have the process completed by Q3. Though this won't help sk8brder in the short term.

sk8brder, if you contact me at WorldNet, I can try help you set-up a cost effective facility for processing all the major credit/debit card brands (including Laser).

Advertisement