Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's talk about Monitors...

Options
  • 23-11-2011 4:00pm

I've gotten some great advice on here of late - thanks for the help.

There are a couple of similar threads floating around but nothing covering exactly what I'm looking for.

I have a budget of around 250 - 300ish for a Monitor.

I currently have a 22" which is around 5 years old. I'd like a high resolution larger monitor, doesn't need speakers.

I'm looking at 27" but realistically, quality is key. My graphics card is a 560ti TOP.

Many thanks in advance for all help and advice - is very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_04RAND/16_MONITOR/01_MONITOR/productdetails/80003372/Dell_24_U2412M_LED_8ms_DP_VGA_DVI/U2412M/default.aspx

Done.

You might be able to find a 27" in your budget, but it's not going to perform like the U2412. Now, this monitor might not be suitable for you at all. If you're going to be using it mostly for gaming, you might want a lower response time. This monitor is best suited for movies/TV and photo/video work. However, it'll handle games very nicely too, it's only if you're very picky about response times that I mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭asif2011

This is going to be mostly for gaming. I have a media centre for tv and movies.

In terms of response times - I'm not sure what you mean, but I play a lot of first person shooter games so I need to see things happening as they happen, frame rate slow down is a big no no.

After reading some other threads and reviews, I feel the need to clarify something. I'm not a colour fiend, nor am I going to be graphic designing, photo shopping or staring intently at the difference between light blue and ever so slightly lighter blue.

Primarily I'm going to be gaming, and whilst I want a rich visual experience, I'm not sure I will notice massively if there is a couple of % difference between colour contrast (at least I don't think so!!).

What I will notice is 3- 4inches of screen size. I will also notice max resolution. What I'm playing on at the moment is a fairly basic old monitor so anything is going to be a pretty big improvement.

Let me know if this raises any more suggestions and thanks for everything so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭asif2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

One thing to consider: the larger the screen size, the more noticeable the pixels. Bear in mind that this is coming from someone studying multimedia, and so I might be a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to image quality - but at 27" I imagine 1080p will look a bit fuzzy. At that kind of size you'd really want something with 1900x1200 or higher.

Just my 2 cents - the only hands on experience I've had with 27" monitors was at 2560 x 1440

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Just my personal taste, but when it comes to gaming monitors, I'd prefer 120 Hz over a longer diagonal. Depends on the type of games you play I suppose.

I play everything - FPS / MMO / RPG etc etc.

I'm not averse to a 24" screen - I sit around 4 - 5 feet away from my monitor as I have wireless keyboard / mouse set up.

Basically a nice large screen that looks less saturated than my current set up and offers a higher resolution would be great. Some of the above suggestions look interesting and the linked threads are very informative.

Any thoughts on some of these:

Monitor 1

Monitor 2

Monitor 3

Just to update this thread-

After a fair amount of research - I have decided to go with this Monitor. It has good contrast ratio, mostly good reviews (checked 7 sites) and its inside my price range.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-ve278q-27--led-vga-dvi-hdmi-display-port-with-speakers-2ms-7MZ6.html?src=2

Thanks for the help and advice, if anyone has any informatio against this monitor I'd be gratefult to hear it.

Best regards,

Robert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

May not interest you because of the size but Hardwareversand has a 23" 3D Monitor with almost the same specs for 250euro.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

27 inches nice! When I was choosing mine I wanted 120hz for gaming, a good resolution, 1080p HD and 3D. So i got this 23 incher http://www.lg.com/ie/it-products/monitors/LG-3d-monitor-W2363D.jsp for under 200. dunno if you'd like 3d though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Thanks for the help and advice, if anyone has any informatio against this monitor I'd be gratefult to hear it.

The resolution I guess. Why not go for something with 1440 on the vertical? (Aside from graphics card possible not being up to it)

Advertisement