Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls - PSN

Options
  • 23-11-2011 4:18pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Just picked this up yesterday from PSN. It's a US PSN exclusive at the moment unfortunately. It's a brand new wizardry game that sticks very close to the roots of the original series. There's some gorgeous Hi Def 2D art as well. The wizardry series is as good as dead in the West but for some reason the japanese have taken a very western series and made it it's own and it's still getting sequels to this day, most of which are of very high quality. Now don't go running off scared thinking that this has been made into a JRPG, it's still very much a western RPG dungeon crawler very much in the same vein as the old Ultima and Wizardry games or like Eye of the Beholder of Lands of Lore with a turn based combat system. The difficulty is harsh and never lets up, be prepared for your first encounter in the dungeon to end in disaster, and there's lots of unforgiving traps like teleporters and pitfalls. There's no simplification of the RPG systems here, it's pure RPG with you choosing your own stats and character builds for your party. You're also dumped into the deep end with no guidance (and no manual which is a bit of an over sight).

Anyway I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good dungeon crawler in the western flavour. It's easy enough to get US PSN points and at 15 dollars it's a steal. I'd especially recommend it to fans of Rogue-like games and Etrian Odyssey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

If it's like the Etrian Odysseys I might give it a go. Rock hard games those though, the DS's equivalent to Demon's/Dark Souls!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think wizardry might be even harder and more unforgiving :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You'll also need some graph paper to make your own maps ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Definitely going to try this, the very first RPG I ever played was the Eye of the Beholder series back on the Amiga which I absolutely loved when I was younger and this has a similar style. Awsome!!

BTW Retr0 in case you never played the Eye of the Beholder series I would highly recommend playing the 2nd one on an emulator. An absolutely amazing RPG for it's time!!

• Advertisement

I've been meaning to check it out, etrian odyssey and shin megami tensei have got me big into old school dungeon crawlers. I'm hoping it gets a release of GoG.

This thread should help people out starting on the game:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432151

Apparently the Japanese version of the game didn't even come with a manual :)

Good reviews here:

http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/220473/review-wizardry-labyrinth-of-lost-souls/

http://uk.gamespot.com/wizardry-labyrinth-of-lost-souls/reviews/6319313/wizardry-labyrinth-of-lost-souls-review/platform/ps3

Trailer:

Think the game might be up on IOS as well. Think you'll like it Ropedrink being an old school PC gamer. Just be warned it really is as brutal as the old games.

Also a good tip is to bring a bishop (the starting stats you need are in the thread above). They are good magic users and can appraise items for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Bane of the Cosmic Forge took me 8 months to complete.

Crusaders of the Dark Savant about the same.

Wizardry 8 is a pile of ****E. Mainly because mobs level with you. They will never be too hard or too easy. Which messes up the idea of Wizardry hugely.

I actually played Wizardry 1 on the Mac.

Just letting people know that this game should now be available on the EU PSN priced at 9.99 euros. There's DLC as well for high level play.

Started the game a few days ago and I'm addicted. Really loving it and the old school charms.

Advice for people starting the game, average starting stat bonus is 6-10 usually however you can get crazy rolls in the 20's and 30's and even rarer rolls up to 47 so if you have the patience you can reroll until you have a party with crazy stats. I just went for starting bonus's in the 20's although I rolled one 47! Makes the beginning of the game much easier.

Ha, back in the day I would take a day to roll a party.

If I couldnt start with both a Ninja and a Samurai I wouldnt start.

• Advertisement

Wellif you want your 47's then you'll be re-rolling for a day in this one :)

I wish I could. If it was out for PC I would grab it in a second.

It's also on iPhone if you have one.

I have an ipad. Interesting.

Gah. Not for ipad :( only small version for iphone.

Supposedly it works with iPad? Unless you can't stick scaled up graphics.

Edit: Hmm, maybe not, there's an iPad version but so far only in japan

I'm trying to like this game I really am but there's just so much about it that annoys me and feels like bad game design.

The dungeons are terribly bland and repetitive and the graphics/art work is just pure lazy. I hate the way objects like switches or even stairs float there spinning around. Could they not have done what every other game does and add them into the environment. I know it's a small thing but completely ruins any form of immersion.

Also I much prefer D&D style games where the monsters roam rather than appear randomly and then you're stuck to the spot for the fight.

There are some things I like so I will stick with it for now and try get the most out of it...

Big Knox wrote: »
    I'm trying to like this game I really am but there's just so much about it that annoys me and feels like bad game design.

The dungeons are terribly bland and repetitive and the graphics/art work is just pure lazy. I hate the way objects like switches or even stairs float there spinning around. Could they not have done what every other game does and add them into the environment. I know it's a small thing but completely ruins any form of immersion.

Also I much prefer D&D style games where the monsters roam rather than appear randomly and then you're stuck to the spot for the fight.

There are some things I like so I will stick with it for now and try get the most out of it...

It's a Wizardry game, all those things are what define it. It's not like the Bioware/Black Isle games at all. It's pure dungeon crawling, just mapping out dungeons and then getting out of there when things get hairy. Some things are a little cheap but it is a budget game.

Anyway it's definitely not for everyone but I'm really addicted to it and play it every night. I shouldn't have compared it to eye of the beholder, sorry, didn't realise it had more of a real time battle system.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's a Wizardry game, all those things are what define it. It's not like the Bioware/Black Isle games at all. It's pure dungeon crawling, just mapping out dungeons and then getting out of there when things get hairy. Some things are a little cheap but it is a budget game.

Anyway it's definitely not for everyone but I'm really addicted to it and play it every night. I shouldn't have compared it to eye of the beholder, sorry, didn't realise it had more of a real time battle system.

No that's fair enough I know it's a long standing series and that is how it's always been it just annoys me to see a switch floating spinning in front of me when it could be on the wall.

I will stay with it as I do like the challenge and the way it gives you little or no help as this style of game should be. Currently working on making some of the hybrid classes for my party so that should keep me working on things for now!!

Advertisement