Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting my sisters computer to scart tv!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

According to that ad, the cable doesn't work for older crt tv's.
    Also, it won't carry the audio. You will need something which also has an audio connection on the laptop side which plugs into your laptop headphone jack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 sqwarez

The laptop speakers will probably work just fine for that part. You can also plug them into an old stereo, usually with a cable like this: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/3-5-mm-Jack-2-Male-RCA-Stereo-Cable-Cinch-Audio-1-2m-/120777266392?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item1c1ee2d4d8
    (3.5mm stereo to RCA)

That video cable, I'm really not sure it looks strange to me but I am from the USA. We usually use something like this:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/VGA-RCA-S-VIDEO-SVIDEO-SVHS-CONVERTER-CABLE-TV-/230566516709?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item35aed5d7e5
    (VGA to s-video and composite/RCA)

You only need the s-video (black) OR composite (yellow) on your TV. I understand your TV has a "scart" connection, but maybe it has one of these also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Looking at it again, that cable is totally unsuitable as it is a SCART to VGA cable, not a VGA to SCART.

The main difference between the two connectors (VGA and SCART) is that the VGA/Monitor signal has a seperate Sync signal for Horizontal and Vertical, whereas the Scart is expecting a single or composite sync, so the cable would need to be able to convert.

You could probably pick something up in Maplins or Peats but I'd think it would cost at least €50.

Does the laptop have an S-Video output similar to this:

VGA-to-TV-SVideo-RCA-AV-Out-Converter-Adapter-Cable.gif

If so, you can buy an S-Video to Scart connector for around €20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 sqwarez

^ is that accurate with the in and out? I mean is 12 pin always IN? :O thats news to me, very interesting if its true...

Advertisement