Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working during 6th year?

• 23-11-2011 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hello there,

I'm in 6th year atm, I've worked hard all my school years and really was looking forward to finally going to college.

Unfortunately, monetary arrangements doesn't make it possible for me to go next year, which is really disappointing.

A way around this is that I could get a weekend job all the way through sixth year, and of course during the summer too. This wouldn't be ideal for study, and I'd be putting a great deal of pressure on myself but I feel that it's better to atleast have a chance of going rather than just giving up entirely.

Has anyone worked during sixth year?
    What do you think about the idea?
    What would you do if you were in my situation?

Thanks for the read. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

I worked for a small Londis store when I was in 6th year, only done about 12 hours a week which was grand for study time and it gave me a few quid. Now My results weren't fantastic but I set myself a target and i achieved it, so the job didnt effect me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭An0n

I worked for a small Londis store when I was in 6th year, only done about 12 hours a week which was grand for study time and it gave me a few quid. Now My results weren't fantastic but I set myself a target and i achieved it, so the job didnt effect me at all.

Glad to hear it.
    Thanks for the reply :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

Just applay for HEAR and if you get it most of your financial problems with college will be sorted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I worked at weekends all through 5th year and Leaving Cert. I thought it was fine, in fact I loved the break from study. If you manage your time properly you should be able to spare a few hours at the weekend. I worked hard during the week at homework and study and most of the time took the weekend off school work completely.

I find it much harder now to juggle college and work, so during school is really the best time to start saving up some money imo :)

If your family is in a lot of financial difficulty at the minute, there are ways to help you get to college anyway. The maintenance grant, HEAR scheme, Student Assistance Fund and various scholarships may be available to you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

a few in my year are working if you can get a job go for it
    would you not qualify for a grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭An0n

a few in my year are working if you can get a job go for it
    would you not qualify for a grant

Nope, all the places I've checked base prerequisites on the gross income rather than the net income, and the in between is really what screws me over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

going to be honest with you , it depends on your situation!
    if you only need reasonable enough points go for it :) ( but only weekends )
    if the points you need are high enough , i would not advise it !
    I work and i'm in 6th year so i know what i'm talking bout dear ...
    maybe just go for xmas, easter and summer work ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PowKitty

From personal experience it drained my energy and was glad to get away from it!
    But I have friends that do work and can handle study, so it all depends on the person :)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

It depends on how achievable your target for college is.

I worked during 6th Year until about February, one weekday and one or two days at the weekend. Although I was able to support myself, it did take away from my study and I was tired an awful lot.

Some people do it easier, but I ended up repeating to get my course and paid more financially in the end. It's nice having the money, but if you're struggling lose the job, get the results and then worry about gathering the money for college. If you have to take a year out chances are you could get a better job with better pay anyway that's full time.

Make your LC your priority, that's my advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

wayhey wrote: »
    It depends on how achievable your target for college is.

I worked during 6th Year until about February, one weekday and one or two days at the weekend. Although I was able to support myself, it did take away from my study and I was tired an awful lot.

Some people do it easier, but I ended up repeating to get my course and paid more financially in the end. It's nice having the money, but if you're struggling lose the job, get the results and then worry about gathering the money for college. If you have to take a year out chances are you could get a better job with better pay anyway that's full time.

Make your LC your priority, that's my advice.

Have to agree with this. Look, it's better to get the points this year and work next year to get the money together for college. Otherwise, you may find yourself drained out working and studying.

You're still very young, and you have plenty of time ahead of you to work all hours!

Get the points. Take some time off. Feck yourself off to somewhere nice for a year after you finish the LC. Make money then and go to college afterwards. You're living the good years - have fun in them!! You'll be in the rat race long enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement