Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-freezing wraps

Options
  • 23-11-2011 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I know you should never freeze thaw and re-freeze meat and stuff, but does that apply equally to breadstuffs and in particular wraps? Just the wrap, obvs, nothing inside of it.

I thawed a packet of 8 of them this morning, but don't plan on using all 8. Can I pop whatever's left back in the freezer for next time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

For future reference what I do with packs of wraps is take them all out, put sheets of baking parchment/greaseproof paper between them, pop them back in the freezer wrapped in clingfilm and then you can take off however many you need when you need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Acoshla wrote: »
    For future reference what I do with packs of wraps is take them all out, put sheets of baking parchment/greaseproof paper between them, pop them back in the freezer wrapped in clingfilm and then you can take off however many you need when you need them.

Yeah, I would normally do that, but for some reason last time I bought wraps, I just flung the whole packet in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can just try it and see, its not like they are worth a lot, worst that happens is they taste a bit funny. You do realise the advice against doing several cycles on meats etc is that freezing expands the cells and can change the consistency/texture of the food.

From these warnings a myth was spawned about magical bacteria being produced from doing these cycles, even with proper defrosting and refreezing some think it suddenly becomes deadly toxic. Manufacturers want you eating their product at its best so sometimes overemphasis the point, and really put fear into people.

As long as you are defrosting properly (in a fridge) you are fine bacteria wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Wraps are fine refrozen, I've done it loads of times.

And you don't even need to freeze them individually as Acoshla does, I find you can just peel off however many you need even when they've been frozen en masse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Wraps are fine refrozen, I've done it loads of times.

And you don't even need to freeze them individually as Acoshla does, I find you can just peel off however many you need even when they've been frozen en masse.

Thanks Honey-ec, I'll give it a go. I did try peeling off the few I thought I'd need this morning when taking out of the freezer, but they had a certain cracker-like consistency and I could see them snapping in my hands.

• Advertisement
Advertisement