Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.220swift info wanted

Options
  • 23-11-2011 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

im in the process of buying a rifle for fox. my choice is .204, .220 swift or a .223.. the only one of these i dont know about is the 220, i am wondering if there is as much a varity of ammo for it as there is for the .223 and how do they compair on price(ammo).

cheers pat..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Seriously good calibre and beats the 223 on velocity and flatness but is louder and bout 50% dearer to shoot, with ammo for 223 and 204 at 25-28 euro a box and swift at around 40+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

ammo for 223 starts about 12 euro a box in places

Ah ya even cheaper in some places but like for like thats the difference in price for example hornady ammo
    204 40gr 29
    223 55gr 26
    220 50gr 45

Although prices do vary a lot especially if buying in bulk

http://www.sportsden.ie/guns/gun-accessories/ammunition/rifle-ammunition.html?order=name&dir=asc

All guns do virtually the same thing, 220 smacks the hardest, 204 is the flattest and easiest to shoot and 223 gives the option of cheap target and plinking ammo

A lad was tellin me recently he is getting swift ammo for €32 i think and it was decent ammo too. great deals if you shop around

If he's getting it that cheap the chances are premium ammo for the 223 and 204 will also be a lot cheaper too so its still going to have the same difference in price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭stoeger

Id love a .220 swift a mate has one .
    The only thing is cost of feeding as was said
    and there heavy . lovely round to shoot great stoping power

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Where art thou Tack! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

ormondprop wrote: »
    204 40gr 29
    223 55gr 26
    220 50gr 45
    I wouldnt go that far, (although the way things are heading nothing would suprise me) :cool: from what I know around here you wouldnt get caught for more than €40! Like they have Hornady for €37 in Duffy's and i wouldnt regard them as being the cheapest! http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=27 If you were buying a case off a sound dealer you should get them for closer to €30 a box!

pugw wrote: »
    I wouldnt go that far, (although the way things are heading nothing would suprise me) :cool: from what I know around here you wouldnt get caught for more than €40! Like they have Hornady for €37 in Duffy's and i wouldnt regard them as being the cheapest! http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=27 If you were buying a case off a sound dealer you should get them for closer to €30 a box!

Thats the price sportsden have for them
    http://www.sportsden.ie/guns/gun-accessories/ammunition/rifle-ammunition/hornady-220-swift-55g-v-max.html

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

ormondprop wrote: »

:eek: They can keep them! God I hadnt realised the price had gone that bad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Longranger wrote: »
    Where art thou Tack! ;)

To date, I've several infractions, warnings and bans over these subjects.

So I thread.carefully ;)

Did I say .223 53 grain Superformance.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

They will all drop foxes equaly as well under the lamp. Just the .223 does it alot cheaper than the other two. A 50gr jhp american eagle @ €13 a box will drop any fox once hit in the boiler house.;) The .220swift and the .204 are marginaly flatter shooting rounds but personaly I dont think there worth the extra money.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭patdahat

many thanks for all the info. from all what i have gathered from here and other places it's going to be a .223 now to start looking for a nice 1.

cheers pat..

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

To date, I've several infractions, warnings and bans over these subjects.

So I thread.carefully ;)

Did I say .223 53 grain Superformance.
    What kinda money are them 53gr at the moment Tac. At the moment i've only used the hornady 55gr soft point training @€;40 per box of 50.

lee70 wrote: »
    What kinda money are them 53gr at the moment Tac. At the moment i've only used the hornady 55gr soft point training @€;40 per box of 50.
    where ya gettin them lee?

Paul O'Halloran in Drangan. All foxes I've hit with these it's been lights out even one I hit @ 365yds.

lee70 wrote: »
    Paul O'Halloran in Drangan. All foxes I've hit with these it's been lights out even one I hit @ 365yds.
    Nice, is there much of a drop on them at that range?

Nice, is there much of a drop on them at that range?
    This is whats on the box

100yds...+1.4"
    200yds.....0.0"
    300yds...-7.3"
    400yds..-22.6"
    500yds..-49.0"

hope this is some help to you. There is also a pic of this box somewhere on the site. I think it may even be one of Tac's.

iv seen em before up north and clive told me where to get them down here but i forgot:D must take a trip to that part of the world in a few weeks and get a box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

€27 a box.

Anyone who shoots foxes with the 53 grain Superformance says one word.
    Awesome :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Tac

.220 Swift is a serious round. very flad, hard hitting and accurate..but its expensive and loud..
    I'd go for the .223..u wont be disappointed.

Advertisement