Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering Barcodes

Options
  • 23-11-2011 6:08pm
    Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Would anyone here have any ideas or pointers towards barcode registering in Ireland / Europe or worldwide as the case may be. What kind of cost are you looking at ?

Cheers

Pat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

You can buy pre-registered/unique barcodes from the likes of www.barcodestalk.com. You don't create your own barcodes and register them, you must buy unique barcodes if you plan to selling products in the public domain.

I have barcodes left from a project (about 90 now I think). You are welcome to them for a small fee as they are just sitting on my laptop doing nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

A couple of threads here over the last few months, might help

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

What do you need them for exactly? Internal or external use?

Barcodes are actually just a Font you can download and use or generate them on a site like this

If you need to buy official ones for external use I use GSI Ireland. I buy them in blocks of 1000 and its about 1k per block.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Thanks for the replies guys.

We're developing a couple of new products (nothing to do with Gamesnash) at the moment that would need a handful of unique barcodes. I was a bit confused with balancing up internet sites selling barcodes for a few euro versus GS1 which would cost €500 to register before buying any.

My understanding is that if you want to get listed in big retaillers you need your own registered bardcodes linked to your own registered account as part of the barcode references your supplier number as such. These barcodes would be supplied by GS1. Since we're looking at smaller independent retaillers at the moment it seems a handful of codes from someone elses stash / reseller will be ok.

Does that sound right ? :)

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Cool to see your looking at another venture Pat, there's never been a better time for start-ups so can't wait to hear what it is.

Yes you need to have official barcodes to be able to see through other retailers. I'll try find out for you if organisations can share barcodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Sorry to bring up an old thread but came accross it and just want to confirm. Is buying from the barcodestalk website fine for selling into large retailers. From what Ive read you are somewhat guaranteed for them to be unique.
    The Irish guys seem really expensive unless you are buying lots.... how did ye finish up with after these posts? I am looking to buy 200 barcodes.
    Thanks in advance

Advertisement