Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is the best City for me?

Options
  • 23-11-2011 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hey all,

Seriously thinking of making the move down under once I have some money saved up.

Just wondering what the best area/city would be best for me with these circumstances:

- single
    - love good nightlife (pubs and clubs)
    - jobs (particularly IT and/or Leisure Industry)
    - great weather all year round (I love the sun)

I know I dont ask for much! ;)

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ian.hughes

Perth is ok for nightlife, but it is getting better. Jobs are pretty good here at the minute too, WA is booming again, compared to the other states; and we get the sun pretty much year round, which you won't find in Melbourne or Sydney!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭slum dog

would definitly recommend melbourne. was in all the cities except perth

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ian.hughes wrote: »
    Perth is ok for nightlife, but it is getting better. Jobs are pretty good here at the minute too, WA is booming again, compared to the other states; and we get the sun pretty much year round, which you won't find in Melbourne or Sydney!

Certainly wasn't all year round this year, up til this week it's been cold since June! Thought summer was never going to arrive.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Certainly wasn't all year round this year, up til this week it's been cold since June! Thought summer was never going to arrive.

Cold is a relative term mate ;) but yeah from what I've been told (only arrived this year) it has been unseasonably cold here this spring; still it rarely dropped below the high teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

It wasn't just cold it was wet, no-one tells you it rains so much here in Winter.

Anyway summer has finally arrived.

• Advertisement

True, true. I was surprised by the amount of rain...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ian.hughes wrote: »
    Xavi6 wrote: »

Cold is a relative term mate ;) but yeah from what I've been told (only arrived this year) it has been unseasonably cold here this spring; still it rarely dropped below the high teens.

Indeed it is and in this part of the world anything below 20 is cold! The winter just gone was my worst of the five I've had so far.

I don't mind the rain though, at least it's the decent stuff and not the half arsed efforts of home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

True once you have been here a while high teens means cold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

silverwex wrote: »
    Hey all,

Seriously thinking of making the move down under once I have some money saved up.

Just wondering what the best area/city would be best for me with these circumstances:

- single
    - love good nightlife (pubs and clubs)
    - jobs (particularly IT and/or Leisure Industry)
    - great weather all year round (I love the sun)

I know I dont ask for much! ;)

Thanks in advance! :)

Welcome to Sydney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

silverwex wrote: »
    great weather all year round (I love the sun)

There's not a single spot in Australia that has "great" weather all year round.

Melbourne - rains a fair bit in winter, Irish style
    Sydney - gets more rain than melbourne, but usually tends to be flash floods, which is less frustrating
    Brisbane - remember the Queensland floods?
    Perth - Not hugely warm in winter and rained a bit when I was there.
    Darwin - Wet Season, and Humidity. Enough said.
    Adelaide - nippy in winter.

You could go to Alice Springs which has close to all year round sun, but I'm not sure I'd call 40+ degree days "great" weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Anywhere near the coast has rain. Inland is dry.
    What good is it being dry inland when you are 1000km from the sea and/or civilisation

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭silverwex

Thanks for the replies everyone!!!

Sydney i hear is very expensive, Melbourne is looking good at the minute. Perth sounds quite laid back and family orientated (this is determined by my net research only so defo not set in stone for me).

Anyone have any experience in Brisbane?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

With the requirements you laid out Sydney is by far the best choice.

04072511 wrote: »

Townsville! never gets much of a wet season

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

04072511 wrote: »

Townsville! never gets much of a wet season

No one should live in Townsville - ever

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Sounds like Nimbin is the place for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

The Driest place in Australia is Mulka Bore, west of Lake Eyre (SA), with an average annual rainfall of 100mm (4 inches).

Not sure if there will be much craic and skirt for ya there though!

To sum up, there is no place on Earth that fits your criteria.

I'd obviously suggest Melbourne being biased, but either Melbourne or Sydney would be the closest to what you are looking for, without the "great" weather all year round that you are after.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Perth, surprisingly, has pretty much the same annual rainfall as Dublin, but it all falls in the space of three months.

But that doesn't mean it's raining steadily for three months; it rains heavily and intensely, and then stops. Because the city is built on sand it drains very well, so you don't have standing water. When it's not actually raining, it's dry rather than damp. And most of the time, even in winter, it's not actually raining.

"Cool", as others have said, is anything below 20 degrees. In that sense, Perth has cool winters. But not as cool as Sydney or Melbourne.

"Breezy", on the other hand, is anything up to and including a gale. And Perth can be quite breezy, in that sense, for much of the year.

Advertisement