Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought something online from UK - not delivered.

Options
  • 23-11-2011 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a small thing (cash register belt) in one of UK online shops. Paid by paypal. Next day I got emails with confirmation that letter with item was shipped with royalmail.

It's been three weeks now and I didn't receive anything.
    I wrote to them few times, and they actually only responded to third email.
    She responded with a Royalmail sensing receipt, and assumed that letter must be in my local Royalmail sorting office, or might have been delayed by customs as there might be a customs charge due.
    On the receipt my address is incorrect, even though I entered correct address on the form when ordering. Name of town is single letter mistake with spelling (I doubt that would cause problems) but in the end address ends up with Co. Mayo, and no name of country (Ireland) is there.

I responded with three point.
    1. Letter can't be at local royalmail sorting office, as there is not royalmail in Ireland.
    2. It couldn not be delayed by customs, as Ireland as well as UK is in EU so no customs charges on such products.
    3. Letter most likely didn't arrive due to mistake in address (lack of country name).

I gave them 2 days to resolve the problem (post it again, or refund money). 2 days are just today evening, and still no reply from them.

Item cost was about 20 pounds.

What are my rights and what can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

CiniO wrote: »
    I bought a small thing (cash register belt) in one of UK online shops. Paid by paypal. Next day I got emails with confirmation that letter with item was shipped with royalmail.

It's been three weeks now and I didn't receive anything.
    I wrote to them few times, and they actually only responded to third email.
    She responded with a Royalmail sensing receipt, and assumed that letter must be in my local Royalmail sorting office, or might have been delayed by customs as there might be a customs charge due.
    On the receipt my address is incorrect, even though I entered correct address on the form when ordering. Name of town is single letter mistake with spelling (I doubt that would cause problems) but in the end address ends up with Co. Mayo, and no name of country (Ireland) is there.

I responded with three point.
    1. Letter can't be at local royalmail sorting office, as there is not royalmail in Ireland.
    2. It couldn not be delayed by customs, as Ireland as well as UK is in EU so no customs charges on such products.
    3. Letter most likely didn't arrive due to mistake in address (lack of country name).

I gave them 2 days to resolve the problem (post it again, or refund money). 2 days are just today evening, and still no reply from them.

Item cost was about 20 pounds.

What are my rights and what can I do?

If you get no joy with the retailer, open a dispute with Paypal. This will either force the retailer to make efforts to assist you or see your money refunded. I have to say, Paypal are very good when it comes to dispute resolution. Don't stress it too much. Good luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Little update on this.

I opened a dispute on paypal and eventually received money back. That was back in 2011.

You couldn't believe how surprised I was when I saw my mail few days ago.
    Item arrived.

On the envelope there was my my address with correct first part, but last two lines were like this:

Mr CiniO
    steet name and number

Co. Mayo
    Qatar.

Qatar was crossed, and it said forward to Ireland.

Also all the stamps from Qatar customs were on the envelope.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭100200 shih

Little update on this.

I opened a dispute on paypal and eventually received money back. That was back in 2011.

You couldn't believe how surprised I was when I saw my mail few days ago.
    Item arrived.

On the envelope there was my my address with correct first part, but last two lines were like this:

Mr CiniO
    steet name and number

Co. Mayo
    Qatar.

Qatar was crossed, and it said forward to Ireland.

Also all the stamps from Qatar customs were on the envelope.

so you going to pay them the 20 pounds ??

so you going to pay them the 20 pounds ??

No.
    I don't need the item anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I had a pair of walking boots delivered to me from UK, having been to Oz, with my correct addresss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

No.
    I don't need the item anymore.

Be sure to put the correct address on it when you are sending it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Also be sure to have them pay for postage :pac:

I might send it back if they agree to pay for the postage, but there is always a risk, that while writing the address, I might mistakenly put Cambodia instead of UK on the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

But it will get there eventually.

Advertisement