Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Try and shop local this xmas

• 23-11-2011 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

I Know time's are tough and things are expensive but it's are duty as people of Co.Waterford to shop in Co.Waterford and the city. The city retailers are begging at this point for money we must support local jobs in anyway possible, try and do food shopping in your local area and buy xmas presents in waterford if possible at all.

Acourse people will buy stuff from the internet (me included) but try and buy stuff in waterford. Jobs will be lost if this xmas is bad which is bad for Waterford and national unemployment as a whole.

We must try that's all we can do, let's try and get waterford booming this christmas. and stop businesses closing down from lack of business.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

The vast majority of my christmas shopping will be done in waterford, mind you that reduction in car park prices after 4pm is a bit of a joke. Still i shall be in town tomorrow buying a few items for the festive season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

decies wrote: »
    The vast majority of my christmas shopping will be done in waterford, mind you that reduction in car park prices after 4pm is a bit of a joke. Still i shall be in town tomorrow buying a few items for the festive season.

How much does parking cost in Dublin or Cork??? The way some people go on, you would swear that Waterford was the only place in the world that had car parking charges!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

The only local business supported this Xmas will be the Rapid Express to Newry!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

you won't save anything going North Langer with the exchange rate as it is!

I'll be doing all my shopping in Dungarvan & Waterford ... couple of lovely little places on Georges St for presents!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

My shopping will be done in England. Already half of it done already with the other half this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Aarnikotka

I'll be shopping in Waterford this year, apart from one or two special requests. It's cheaper than Finland (VAT is already 23% here) and I couldn't be bothered lugging a suitcase full of presents with me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭spankadamonkee

I am going wherever i can get the presents cheapest. Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Doing 90% of my shopping in Waterford. I have requested others to buy my gifts locally and Irish made if possible for some of them.

Just recently saw you can get 3 new release books for 2 in what used to be called Porters in city square. sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭alphasounds

How much does parking cost in Dublin or Cork??? The way some people go on, you would swear that Waterford was the only place in the world that had car parking charges!!!

If you are looking for guidance orientate on the better, not the worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭flan59

If you shop local make sure to shop around if you are buying something like electronics. Bought an External PC Hard drive this week in Harvey Normans @ €119, same one in PC World @ €189. Would have been even cheaper on line but I try to shop local where possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Why is the free parking offer a joke? You can get your parking for free, bloody hell what more do you want?

Anyway, people should remember that the money raised by the Council through parking is kept local and helps fund Council initiatives, festivals, marketing and promotion of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

sale in debenhams last week was very good. other than that not a lot of value around unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Are you talking about shopping local in businesses owned by local people, or to the international chains who happen to have located in Waterford?

If you can buy local, or at least Irish, you would be doing far more good than giving the chains your custom, who will repatriate their profits abroad.

One product I would like to see is a Waterford Hamper. Local micro brewery products, Galloway's Chocolates, Flavahan's, Waterford Crystal etc. I think this would be a great seller - if it isn't available already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

Why is the free parking offer a joke? You can get your parking for free, bloody hell what more do you want?

Anyway, people should remember that the money raised by the Council through parking is kept local and helps fund Council initiatives, festivals, marketing and promotion of the city.

Am not saying free parking is a joke per say, just saying telling people to come after four wont suit many people with traffic problems etc at that time of the day.
    Well i bought 4 presents in four shops in city centre today( more to come) so done my bit, if everybody did that it would be a start.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Are you talking about shopping local in businesses owned by local people, or to the international chains who happen to have located in Waterford?

If you can buy local, or at least Irish, you would be doing far more good than giving the chains your custom, who will repatriate their profits abroad.

One product I would like to see is a Waterford Hamper. Local micro brewery products, Galloway's Chocolates, Flavahan's, Waterford Crystal etc. I think this would be a great seller - if it isn't available already.

Both really, I agree with the hamper concept, and I think Ive seen such a thing on sale in Ardkeen foodstores in the past.

It isn't feasible to consider buying new modern electronic goods in Waterford. As far as I'm concerned the two local shops Sherwoods and K+D are always a good 35€+ more expensive that buying online, and there range is constant 4 months behind. If you are buying 3 -4 electrical xmas pressies you could save a nice wad by purchasing online. And I'm def open to correction there.

For perfumes etc Debenhams is a one stop shop, their buying power outweighs the local pharmacys I think, making them cheaper. They are able to employ many local beauty therapists on their shop floor aswell.

Fashion and clothing isn't great locally(from a guys point of view), as is the same around Ireland. The range just isn't in Ireland, compared to the massive high street stores in the UK and maybe Dundrum. People are more savvy and relise that brands like penguin, supremebeing, gio gio, fred perry, lee, levis for sale in Heroes/Shaws at a premium can be sourced an awful lot cheaper online @m+mdirect or just down the road at TK Maxx. This won't be helped by the anticipated increase in VAT. In the UK there has been a big push on the retailers to become more competitive and to bring online shopping to its knees, and its working over there. Irish retailers still haven't copped onto this.

international chains can't be dismissed totally, they do provide a lot of employment in town, like Harvey Norman, TK Maxx, Debenhams, B+Q, Homebase are probably employing 500+ plus between them, which equals 500 paypackets being repatriated locally. Aswell as the jobs created by the auxillary services supporting them. Aswell as making whats left of the local shopping scene more diverse and competitive..

I am not trying to knock or run down waterford(I for one will be buying a nice supply of Dungarvan ale, and doing my shopping in the local centra/supervalue), I think this is a national problem more than an international problem. And of the 12 + xmas presents Ive bought thus far Ive prob got half of them locally. But I think the onus should be on the retailers to become competitive and offer value. People would love to shop locally etc but if its a difference of 200-300€ in their pocket their heads won't be long turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭deiselack

It would be great to shop locally but I think a lot of the locally owned shops have closed down! Its hard to shop locally with the likes of tesco, harvey norman, boots etc..little boutique's/locally owned shops can be expensive and not many of us can afford their prices. That said, Waterford doesn't advertise or make the most of what we have here at all.

Iceland H&M, Marks and Spencers have all gone to Clonmel, no one comes here to shop anymore, ..why is that??? coz there's nothing left. I know these are UK shops but still...just my opinion that there's nothing really here..shopping wise..I agree with a previous poster on hampers..Waterford Crystal, Metalman beer etc...these are not promoted enough! BUY LOCAL BUY WATERFORD :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Personally I'll also get my electronics wherever is cheapest. Normally clothes as well. No question here that the local alternative isn't comparable in terms of quality.

However, I do buy as much Irish food as possible, and in Irish supermarkets where I can. Normally Superquinn, sometimes Ardkeen or Dunnes. If you buy even bought an Irish free range turkey and ham in your local butcher or Irish supermarket instead of Tesco or Lidl you'd be helping to ensure the money stayed in the country.

For the rest of the year -buy Flavahans over Readybrek, Bachelor's Beans over Heinz, Glenisk Organic over Muller Corner. This is where you'll sustain jobs.

Best of all I like to channel money I save when shopping around the chains for electricals etc. into farmers markets and local produce. Local jams, cheeses, baked goods etc.

hardybuck wrote: »
    For the rest of the year -buy Flavahans over Readybrek, Bachelor's Beans over Heinz, Glenisk Organic over Muller Corner. This is where you'll sustain jobs.

Best of all I like to channel money I save when shopping around the chains for electricals etc. into farmers markets and local produce. Local jams, cheeses, baked goods etc.

+1 I agree!, but unfortuantly I might be channelling alot of my saved money into the two local brewarys more than anyone else lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Am not saying free parking is a joke per say, just saying telling people to come after four wont suit many people with traffic problems etc at that time of the day.
    Well i bought 4 presents in four shops in city centre today( more to come) so done my bit, if everybody did that it would be a start.
    Ah right, but in fairness the only offer that would suit everybody would be free all day. Traffic is not that bad around that time is it? Most of the shops will be open till 6pm and sometimes 7-9pm so traffic issues might not be such a problem. The other thing is people who work 9-5 and can't shop till after work will be able to avail of the offer.

Advertisement