Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knees hurt after running on the road

Options
  • 23-11-2011 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hey,

I've been running on the road for about 8-10 weeks now. Nothing major, I run 7km 5 days a week, leaving two days out because I have soccer training which is mostly sprinting and I like to be fresh for it.

Anyway, for the past week I've been experiencing pain in the sides and back of my knees about halfway through the run, almost as if they're clicking or something. Kind of hard to explain. Now, the runners I'm using are Asics, but not a top-of-the-range model, they only cost about €65.

One friend has suggested investing in a better pair of Asics and another has suggested not bothering with a more expensive pair, but instead joining a gym so I can use a treadmill.

If I skip a day's running I'm fine for a day or two.

Can anybody offer any advice? I wouldn't know a whole lot about injuries/running

By the way, I'm 23 and have been playing football and soccer for 13 years and very very rarely had injuries of this nature, moreso broken bones and that type of thing as opposed to wear and tear injuries if that makes sense

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

Hey,

Don't usually comment here but had to on this, when i was 23, (27 now) i used to do the exact same, 4-5 days a week i'd do a 2 mile run, average asics and run same route, after a while i got shin splints, different injury to what you are saying but relevant as i got the injury from the sheer volume of runs i was doing and i found only cure was rest.

Can i make a suggestion?

What i recommend and what i do now is get a good pair of running shoes, i STRONGLY recommend Saucony Kinvara's, they're about €110 base2race ballymount stock them. I bought a pair in there recently from guy called Kevin. He will also film your running technique for free to see what if you are neutral or over pronate. It was great leaving there knowing your exact technique and that you are buying right pair of shoes. Knowledge you'll have for rest of your life.

The shoes are comfy and light as hell.

Anyway my suggestion is do as i do now. rather than do 5 small runs a week which you will inevitably lose the love for because they will become repetitive and mundane, why don't you do 2 big runs a week. First off better fitness and you won't get sick of doing them as easy. The way i figure, once your out running you enjoy it so why not run further but its the getting from couch to front door is my issue so doing that twice a week rather than 5 times a week makes sense to me! Then the days you don't run your relaxing with feet up!

Since i got the new gear and shoes i now do one 6-7 mile run during week before work then 3 days off and then a 10+mile run saturday or sunday morning.

This is way better for me to integrate into my life going forward rather than 5 small ones during week rather than an unsustainable amount of small runs which you won't really improve much fitness from.

Hope this helps!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You are asking someone to diagnose a possible injury/ medical problem. Get a physio to check you out instead. Noone here can know whats up with your knees, or is qualified to advise. (and youre in the wrong forum, btw, this is fitness logs)

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement