Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing to study my own texts for English?

• 23-11-2011 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Right, well, I'm a 5th year repeat and having covered all of my comparative study, I'm wondering how stupid an idea it would be to choose my own texts from the prescribed list, instead of the ones we are to be doing in school?
    I know it'll involve me learning both because I'll need to do class tests etc. - but in the end, quite frankly, the texts my teacher has chosen this year are appalling.

Yay or nay?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Thats a terrible idea. Junior Cert is the time for that sort of thing if you insist on it. Not leaving cert, be sensible. It doesn't matter if they're not to your liking, they obviously have some merit or they wouldn't be on the course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

If you know them inside out then maybe, but the points of study (like literary genre) on the 2012 course are different e.g cultural context isnt on it this year. I'd just do the ones your teacher is doing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mielzi

Yeah, I kind of knew that, just wanted to broach the idea. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

mielzi wrote: »
    Right, well, I'm a 5th year repeat and having covered all of my comparative study, I'm wondering how stupid an idea it would be to choose my own texts from the prescribed list, instead of the ones we are to be doing in school?
    I know it'll involve me learning both because I'll need to do class tests etc. - but in the end, quite frankly, the texts my teacher has chosen this year are appalling.

Yay or nay?

That is a terrible idea.

You will have way too much work to do and not enough support as your teacher will focus on what the whole class will be doing.

Advertisement