Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Request via flickr - Wcities want to use an image

• 23-11-2011 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭

Got a mail from Wcities on flickr, asking if they could use a picture of mine that is marked (c) All rights reserved to promote a venue that I took a picture of. I said OK, let me know where you want to use it and what the terms you are looking for are, got the following reply...

"Hi Paul,

Sadly we don't have a budget for this project; all photos are used online only and what we offer is full credit, and exposure on our sites (wcities, eventseekr) and those of our partners (Yahoo, American Airlines). Photographers also retain full rights of their photos, so you can choose to withdraw permission at any time.

I understand if this doesn't suit you; thanks for getting back to me.

Best wishes,
    Korrena"

Do people still fall for this kind of crap, I mean I am all for doing stuff for charity but this is a commercial entity that basically want to use my pics to generate profit, where do they get off on this type of rubbish? :rolleyes:

Anyone else had a mail from these chancers? I am mulling over a response to them at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

this is what spurred my thread "bee in a bonnet" a couple of weeks ago. i get mails like this all the time (not from that same crowd though)
    it's always the same "we don't have any money...." but obviously they are generating profit from your work. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Arciphel wrote: »
    Anyone else had a mail from these chancers? I am mulling over a response to them at the moment.

Why mull ? Life is too short. Delete the email and forget about it. They'll completely ignore anything you have to say on the matter and move on to the next response, or pick something from the five hundred billion creative commons licensed images on flickr.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

chancers of highest order

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Why mull ? Life is too short. Delete the email and forget about it.
    i'd agree with one caveat; just send them a one liner saying you are explicitly denying them any permission to use the photo, and leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Quick question there, with regards creative commons - is a commercial entity allowed to use a CC image to generate profit, or is it just for editorial kind of use? N00b question I know :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Quick question there, with regards creative commons - is a commercial entity allowed to use a CC image to generate profit, or is it just for editorial kind of use? N00b question I know :)

Depends on the license, there're a bunch of different CC licenses. Some allow any usage at all up to and including commercial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

it really would be a great help if hosting sites had a very prominent advert running across every page explaining that if someone requests usage of an image they should pay....an offer of credit is not an offer of payment !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I just checked out their website & they have loads of lovely photographs from around the world.

None of them are credited. Have they paid for them, or have these excellent photos been given to them for free?

I'd give them kudos for contacting you, at least....but if it was me, even though I'd be flattered, I'd refuse.

-FoxT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Got a mail from Wcities on flickr, asking if they could use a picture of mine that is marked (c) All rights reserved to promote a venue that I took a picture of. I said OK, let me know where you want to use it and what the terms you are looking for are, got the following reply...

"Hi Paul,

Sadly we don't have a budget for this project; all photos are used online only and what we offer is full credit, and exposure on our sites (wcities, eventseekr) and those of our partners (Yahoo, American Airlines). Photographers also retain full rights of their photos, so you can choose to withdraw permission at any time.

Best wishes,
    Korrena"

Do people still fall for this kind of crap, I mean I am all for doing stuff for charity but this is a commercial entity that basically want to use my pics to generate profit, where do they get off on this type of rubbish? :rolleyes:

I've gotten a few over time (not from these but from others). Usually the same BS. I just ignore them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭Misa-san

You can just say no and move on - I understand it's annoying but this is the internet; spam is spam, trolls are trolls and the process for dealing with them is always the same - delete and move (and sue for copyright infringement where applicable)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

to be fair .... if someone asks you a question (Can we use your picture?) and you are interested but want more detail .... and when you find out they want to use it for commercial gain.

- you question why don't you get paid if they are looking to make money from your pic - they say they dont pay for images ...so you say they cant have your image....you need to find out what they want the images for before you say "No".

you cant say "No" straight away ...its just rude, many people have no problem giving images to charity for usage because its a good cause, but if a commercial business or web designer looking for free images thats completely different - they intend making money from using your image ....so why shouldn't you get a payment for the image - even if its something small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

hi,
    dont give them an inch, as other posters have said, its your work and if they want the image they should pay for it as well as credit you.
    I did some work for a mate for his album sleeve and posters, the manufacturer of the suits we used was asking for copies, and for their f***book page. My response polite but firm, was no "Your not getting free advertising and certainly not on f***book in particular". Anyway bottom line congrats for getting their attention and good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

"Hi ESB,

Sadly we don't have a budget for this project; all the electricity we use is only for personal gain and what we offer is full credit, and exposure on our sites (wcities, eventseekr) and those of our partners (Yahoo, American Airlines). Electricity Suppliers also retain full rights of their wattages, so you can choose to withdraw permission at any time.

Best wishes,
    Korrena"

Looks like Korrena will be in the dark for quite a while longer...
    I mean she even states in the e-mail they have multi-national partners, but doesn't want to pay for photos.

What a moron she is.

Advertisement