Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President urges young people to switch off video games

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Let me put it another way, would you encourage your child to play video games over going outside and playing with friends?

That depends on what the friends are doing, if they're outside playing etc then yes I would encourage that more. If however they were outside getting into trouble & on the wrong path then I'd be quite happy to see video games prevail over that. You can't always say what effect video games will have, the president should know that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I used to stay over in my friends houses to play videogames all weekend when I was a kid. Met a lot of friends that way. Also had time to play with the local football team. Responsible parents should know if children are playing too many videogames and curtail it and not let them get into something like World of Warcraft or Call of Duty if they have OCD tendencies. I know my videogames playing was curtailed and I still preferred to go out and play with my friends rather than play videogames. My parents also wouldn't let me watch tv or play any games unless my homework was done and made sure I did it all. If a child has a videogame problem its due to bad parenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well I agree with the point Higgans is making. He's not saying computer games are evil. He's not saying they should all be banned. All he is saying is that young children should be encouraged to use their imagination more. And they should. Speaking in general terms, tv shows, the majority of computer games and pre-programmed electronic toys don't really encourage the childs imagination.

Computer games can have a place in a childs development, but shouldn't take the place of an imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

humanji wrote: »
    Well I agree with the point Higgans is making. He's not saying computer games are evil. He's not saying they should all be banned. All he is saying is that young children should be encouraged to use their imagination more. And they should. Speaking in general terms, tv shows, the majority of computer games and pre-programmed electronic toys don't really encourage the childs imagination.

Computer games can have a place in a childs development, but shouldn't take the place of an imagination.

B-b-but he didn't call games the height of civilisation! HE'S AN OUT OF TOUCH OLD MAN, LETS NOT LISTEN!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

We in Ireland have the highest rate of heroin use in Europe but its videogames that are bad :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone here is saying they should, thats a given. He's really only stating the obvious. However as has been mentioned numerous times, it all comes down to the parenting approach.

I must say it'd be nice to bring my son down to the local library as he's expressed an interest in going....but it was closed for renovations about two years ago, then the money ran out to finish the job, & its been closed ever since.

It'd also be nice to take a trip into the National History Museum, but the last time I checked the upstairs floor was closed indefinitely because new regulations meant there now aren't enough fire exits.

Instead of stating the obvious, Mr. Higgins needs to address those kind of problems people face instead of quoting Welsh poets to please Mary & Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He really needs to play Portal 2 with my 4 year old nephew, then he'd see how wrong he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Penn wrote: »
    He really needs to play Portal 2 with my 4 year old nephew, then he'd see how wrong he is.

I really think thats the exception rather than the rule though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Arianna_26

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    He might have a point though.

I wouldn't exactly call CoD/BF the height of creativity.

What would you call 'the height of creativity'?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Fnz wrote: »
    Suggesting that video games have negative affected our imagination is like saying... I dunno, something.

Wit worthy of a classic simpsons episode. I laughed hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

like everything in life, moderation is key. I play games a lot, but I still jog a few nights a week, swim when I can, go out with mates (who also play games) and occasionally a lady lets me touch her. too much time spent watching tv or playing sports or doing...well anything thats a detriment to your health or social ability is bad, video games are an easy target.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

EnterNow wrote: »
    It'd also be nice to take a trip into the National History Museum, but the last time I checked the upstairs floor was closed indefinitely because new regulations meant there now aren't enough fire exits.

Is that the bit where you can hug the giraffe, or is it still just the up-upstairs bits?

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Is that the bit where you can hug the giraffe, or is it still just the up-upstairs bits?

Lol I havn't a clue. I went to look up times etc on the website & there was a note about indefinite closure of the upper levels. Farcical really

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Well from personal experience, Video games are a gateway to the evils of being interested and engaged with computers and IT. I mean, do we as nation really want people interested in a functional productive industry :rolleyes:

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/president-urges-young-people-to-switch-off-video-games-529504.html

"During his election campaign, Mr Higgins pledged to champion the arts and creative industries, and to help bring in more related jobs."

Surely the creative industries include the video games sector.

Typical old man comments. I think he's just jealous because they didn't have video games back in his day :D

I don't think anyone here is saying they should, thats a given. He's really only stating the obvious. However as has been mentioned numerous times, it all comes down to the parenting approach.

I must say it'd be nice to bring my son down to the local library as he's expressed an interest in going....but it was closed for renovations about two years ago, then the money ran out to finish the job, & its been closed ever since.

Instead of stating the obvious, Mr. Higgins needs to address those kind of problems people face instead of quoting Welsh poets to please Mary & Joe.
    But it's not his job to do anything about them. And the government are well aware of those problems, so there's little reason in trying to draw attention to them. I think we'd all prefer that they spent money the likes of hospitals etc than on museums. When Ireland recovers, then we can start spending money on those sorts of projects.

In the meantime, a simple and free project is for him to try and help some parents to learn about the need for moderation and diversity in their childrens play schedules, instead of parking the kids in front of a tv or console in lieu of hiring a babysitter.

We may know it as a fairly obvious thing, but many parents don't. They may not use Boards. They may not even use computers. So having the President point this out to them can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I'm gonna go out on a limb and agree with the prez on this one. You can't say that there's a whole lot of Irish culture in video games.

The Commandos series is the only one that springs to mind with a character with an Irish accent, let alone any kind of relevance to Irish culture or life.

Considering the mediums of art, literature and film where the Irish have made their mark, the games industry in Ireland is nothing more than an outsourced code factory.

Irish made games are as culturally relevant to us as The Simpsons is to the Korean animators who made it.

Spacedog wrote: »
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and agree with the prez on this one. You can't say that there's a whole lot of Irish culture in video games.

The Commandos series is the only one that springs to mind with a character with an Irish accent, let alone any kind of relevance to Irish culture or life.

Considering the mediums of art, literature and film where the Irish have made their mark, the games industry in Ireland is nothing more than an outsourced code factory.

Irish made games are as culturally relevant to us as The Simpsons is to the Korean animators who made it.

So you're saying we shouldn't bother with video games because they don't reflect Irish culture?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ojola

Arianna_26 wrote: »
    Typical old man comments. I think he's just jealous because they didn't have video games back in his day :D

Agree totally with you mate... I am keeping all my Xbox360 and PS3 games. I will bring them with me to the old peoples home when I qualify to be homed. :D

Arianna_26 wrote: »

they did have World War II, some of the Call of Duty games were based on it

• Advertisement

I thought it was the other way around.

Anyway, it's unfair to say he's out of touch with gamers. Sure didn't he model for the World of Warcraft goblin designs

But it's not his job to do anything about them. And the government are well aware of those problems, so there's little reason in trying to draw attention to them.

I think its a perfectly valid thing to call attention to. If he's urging kids to spend less time on electronic games & toys & embrace a larger world, he's going to have to do more than quote Welsh poets.
    humanji wrote:
    I think we'd all prefer that they spent money the likes of hospitals etc than on museums. When Ireland recovers, then we can start spending money on those sorts of projects.

There are of course higher priorities where money should be spent, though if the Irish government can't afford to rearrange a few fire exits in out National History Museum...I think video games are the least of our problems don't you? Though as someone mentioned already, he has to say something.
    humanki wrote:
    In the meantime, a simple and free project is for him to try and help some parents to learn about the need for moderation and diversity in their childrens play schedules, instead of parking the kids in front of a tv or console in lieu of hiring a babysitter.

I could think of better things to do with his 350k a year, as opposed to giving parenting courses. Where I live, & I see it with my own eyes in some cases, once the kids are out not annoying the parents thats all that matters. You have to be open to learning, you'd be amazed at the amount of people who arn't.
    We may know it as a fairly obvious thing, but many parents don't. They may not use Boards. They may not even use computers. So having the President point this out to them can only be a good thing.

My mother didn't use boards.ie when I was growing up, & yet she somehow miraculously knew that leaving a child playing video games all day wasn't constructive. You can't blame ignorance in most cases, it's sheer & total lazy/bad parenting. And as I mentioned, I think sir Higgins is on a bit too much a year to be dealing with personal help courses.

I think its a perfectly valid thing to call attention to. If he's urging kids to spend less time on electronic games & toys & embrace a larger world, he's going to have to do more than quote Welsh poets.
    He is. He's making public appearances and letting his opinions be heard.
    There are of course higher priorities where money should be spent, though if the Irish government can't afford to rearrange a few fire exits in out National History Museum...I think video games are the least of our problems don't you? Though as someone mentioned already, he has to say something.
    He isn't saying video games are a problem. He's saying that kids should be given a chance to use their creativity.
    I could think of better things to do with his 350k a year, as opposed to giving parenting courses.
    It's his job to work towards the betterment of Irish society. There's little denying that he's overpaid, but at least he's trying to do something. It's more than most politicians do. And it's not that important an issue, but that's no reason to ignore it.
    Where I live, & I see it with my own eyes in some cases, once the kids are out not annoying the parents thats all that matters. You have to be open to learning, you'd be amazed at the amount of people who arn't.
    You also have to let people know that the option to learn is there, and give them a helpful nudge in the right direction if they want it. That's all he's doing.
    My mother didn't use boards.ie when I was growing up, & yet she somehow miraculously knew that leaving a child playing video games all day wasn't constructive. You can't blame ignorance in most cases, it's sheer & total lazy/bad parenting. And as I mentioned, I think sir Higgins is on a bit too much a year to be dealing with personal help courses.
    But you can blame ignorance in some cases. Higgin's isn't directing what he said at every man, woman and child in Ireland. He's pointing out something that's obvious to most, to those who don't realise it. I can't see how that's a bad thing.

It's his job to work towards the betterment of Irish society. There's little denying that he's overpaid, but at least he's trying to do something. It's more than most politicians do. And it's not that important an issue, but that's no reason to ignore it.

What is it he's trying to do exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

What is it he's trying to do exactly?

What do you want him to do exactly, given the powers that he has as president?

He's trying to get the point across that children should be encouraged to use their imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

By the way, he also earns 250k, not 350k, after requesting that the salary be cut by 25%

He's trying to get the point across that children should be encouraged to use their imagination.

people who make video games have no imagination now? well maybe Activision dont :pac: people play games, become interested in them, seek out a career in them, create jobs and industry for others to follow, its really not a hard concept to understand. look at Open Emotion, homegrown Irish studio doing well for themselves, all stemming from a bunch of gamers going into business for themselves.

By the way, he also earns 250k, not 350k, after requesting that the salary be cut by 25%
    I'm sure a 25% cut seemed like a nice gesture, but 250k is still a lot of money for someone who isn't that essential to the country. :D
    krudler wrote: »
    people who make video games have no imagination now? well maybe Activision dont :pac: people play games, become interested in them, seek out a career in them, create jobs and industry for others to follow, its really not a hard concept to understand. look at Open Emotion, homegrown Irish studio doing well for themselves, all stemming from a bunch of gamers going into business for themselves.
    Who said anything about game developers? We're talking about children and their developement.

• Advertisement

What do you want him to do exactly, given the powers that he has as president?

Tbh I'm not sure there's anything he can do. He's only a glorified ribbon cutter, it's just annoying seeing people like that stating the obvious. Things are more complicated in reality.

Wow, he must be wrecked after that.

Advertisement