Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President urges young people to switch off video games

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

But Michael D if the kids become games developers instead of artists they might pay a bit of tax now and again :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

EnterNow wrote: »
    Wow, he must be wrecked after that.
    It's not like this is the only thing he'll do over the next 7 years. And as you say yourself, he's a glorified ribbon cutter. This is the type of thing he's expected to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭dre_jspeed

Do these gaming companies not bring big money into are so call economy and jobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

humanji wrote: »
    It's not like this is the only thing he'll do over the next 7 years. And as you say yourself, he's a glorified ribbon cutter. This is the type of thing he's expected to do.

True enough.

I wonder how yer wan got on wit her magic chip idea that turns off consoles after one hour? :rolleyes: Never heard anymore on that. Maybe they should team up

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

EnterNow wrote: »
    Tbh I'm not sure there's anything he can do. He's only a glorified ribbon cutter, it's just annoying seeing people like that stating the obvious. Things are more complicated in reality.

But, in fairness, this article is from a visit he made to an arts centre in Dublin, where he presumably looked around for a while then made a short speech to the staff and children. The president does small stuff like this very often and most times it won't make it near a paper unless there's space (or bandwidth) to be filled.

It's not like Michael D called a press conference to talk about video games and children's imaginations in depth or to call on the government to make any policy shifts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

dre_jspeed wrote: »
    Do these gaming companies not bring big money into are so call economy and jobs?

Yes. He never mentions them being a bad thing.

Misleading headline is misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm sure a 25% cut seemed like a nice gesture, but 250k is still a lot of money for someone who isn't that essential to the country. :D

Who said anything about game developers? We're talking about children and their developement.

developers were children once too ya know :pac: its a thriving industry so if people become more interested in it and creats jobs then thats a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

But, in fairness, this article is from a visit he made to an arts centre in Dublin, where he presumably looked around for a while then made a short speech to the staff and children. The president does small stuff like this very often and most times it won't make it near a paper unless there's space (or bandwidth) to be filled.

It's not like Michael D called a press conference to talk about video games and children's imaginations in depth or to call on the government to make any policy shifts.

I know that, & the headline is indeed misleading. I still think he's dwelling on the easy targets, & ignoring the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

He is dead right about kids not using their imagination but living in a fantasy world on a video game is using your imagination far more than when they go to school are forced to dress the same, act the same, and are forced to think the same until all their imagination is suppressed so they can become just another 9 to 5 robot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Games got me dabbling in level design with Quake map makers and the Warcraft 2 and Starcraft 2 map makers. Also dabbled in Gamemaker and RPG maker which is great for people who want to understand game design and programming before getting into coding. But that's not being imaginative or creative of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I have to wonder just how many videogames President Higgins has played. I presume he hasn't sat down and played Heavy Rain, or Limbo, or Flower, or Child of Eden. He presumably hasn't used videogames as a window into another world, transporting himself to medieval Japan, across the stars or into the demented mind of Suda Goichi. These kind of games fire the imagination and inspire people far more than the latest Twilight book ever will.

I have to wonder too, how much he appreciates the contribution videogames make to Irish society. A recent Forfas report highly praised the burgeoning Irish videogame industry, which is growing year-on-year despite the worldwide recession. It's also a heavily-skilled, well paying industry that employs graduates from all backgrounds: art & animation, computer science, physics, maths, marketing, and language. It's creating more jobs and contributing more tax money towards Michael D's substantial salary than a nation of poets ever could.

If Michael D. really wants to represent a new and modern Ireland, he'd perhaps like to better acquaint himself with what is the most significant entertainment industry in 21st century Ireland, and not base his opinions solely on preconceptions espoused by lazy journalists and ignorant parents.

krudler wrote: »
    developers were children once too ya know :pac: its a thriving industry so if people become more interested in it and creats jobs then thats a good thing.
    Ah, but if kids don't develop their imagination then the only thing they'll be able to create are endless knock-offs that don't do anything new. It'd be dooming us to EA Ireland. We'll have a games industry, but we'll have no soul! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Someone needs to show the President this:

Gabe Zichermann - How games make kids smarted

http://www.ted.com/talks/gabe_zichermann_how_games_make_kids_smarter.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Heavy Rain

I doubt a game that is as badly written as a bad episode of CSI is going to further the cause of gaming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I doubt a game that is as badly written as a bad episode of CSI is going to further the cause of gaming!

Which makes it better than a good 98% of games.

I have to wonder just how many videogames President Higgins has played. I presume he hasn't sat down and played Heavy Rain, or Limbo, or Flower, or Child of Eden. He presumably hasn't used videogames as a window into another world, transporting himself to medieval Japan, across the stars or into the demented mind of Suda Goichi. These kind of games fire the imagination and inspire people far more than the latest Twilight book ever will.

I have to wonder too, how much he appreciates the contribution videogames make to Irish society. A recent Forfas report highly praised the burgeoning Irish videogame industry, which is growing year-on-year despite the worldwide recession. It's also a heavily-skilled, well paying industry that employs graduates from all backgrounds: art & animation, computer science, physics, maths, marketing, and language. It's creating more jobs and contributing more tax money towards Michael D's substantial salary than a nation of poets ever could.

If Michael D. really wants to represent a new and modern Ireland, he'd perhaps like to better acquaint himself with what is the most significant entertainment industry in 21st century Ireland, and not base his opinions solely on preconceptions espoused by lazy journalists and ignorant parents.
    That's not what the article says or is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

As adults with jobs you're entitled to squander your free time playing computer games as you feel appropriate. If on the other hand, you are completely unaware that many children and college going adults are squandering time they would be better off spending elsewhere, you should get out more. If you think it's ok for a 15 year old to play a computer game for 8 hours a day you're mistaken.

I certainly take the point that computer games are no better or no worse than watching DVDs, reading novels (although would be some arguments for reading being 'better') and maybe watching TV.

Individuals should be aware that there is a limit to how much time they should be playing computer games.
    If not,their parents should intervene.
    If they don't, school should intervene.
    if they don't it's a social problem.

He is dead right about kids not using their imagination but living in a fantasy world on a video game is using your imagination far more than when they go to school are forced to dress the same, act the same, and are forced to think the same until all their imagination is suppressed so they can become just another 9 to 5 robot.
    You're not comparing like with like. Which exercises the imagination more:

Playing a game where everything is already created for you, or reading a book where you have to create everything in your mind from the words given to you on the page? That's basically what Higgins is saying. It's a simplistic view, but at it's heart it's true.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

As adults with jobs you're entitled to squander your free time playing computer games as you feel appropriate. If on the other hand, you are completely unaware that many children and college going adults are squandering time they would be better off spending elsewhere, you should get out more. If you think it's ok for a 15 year old to play a computer game for 8 hours a day you're mistaken.

I certainly take the point that computer games are no better or no worse than watching DVDs, reading novels (although would be some arguments for reading being 'better') and maybe watching TV.

Individuals should be aware that there is a limit to how much time they should be playing computer games.
    If not,their parents should intervene.
    If they don't, school should intervene.
    if they don't it's a social problem.

humanji's post is also relvant here methinks.

“It is possible to form the impression that many of today’s children no longer fully appreciate the joy of taking refuge in their own imaginations, preferring to spend their time on computer games, or watching digital television or playing with pre-programmed electronic toys,”

This sentence shows his ignorance. He lumps videogames in with the idiot box, and 'pre-programmed electronic toys' (which sounds like a term from 1950s American advertising). It's a massive disservice to videogames. Videogames are not just Call of Duty, and can provoke children to use their imagination and be creative. More than that, they can be educational, social and nourish problem solving.

I'd be much happier with my child playing the average videogame than reading the average teenage fiction. But Higgins is living in Byzantium, where the written word is pure and 1s and 0s are spawned by Satan to turn our children into dullards.

• Advertisement

“It is possible to form the impression that many of today’s children no longer fully appreciate the joy of taking refuge in their own imaginations, preferring to spend their time on computer games, or watching digital television or playing with pre-programmed electronic toys,”

This sentence shows his ignorance. He lumps videogames in with the idiot box, and 'pre-programmed electronic toys' (which sounds like a term from 1950s American advertising). It's a massive disservice to videogames. Videogames are not just Call of Duty, and can provoke children to use their imagination and be creative. More than that, they can be educational, social and nourish problem solving.

I'd be much happier with my child playing the average videogame than reading the average teenage fiction. But Higgins is living in Byzantium, where the written word is pure and 1s and 0s are spawned by Satan to turn our children into dullards.
    I higlighted the bit you're missing. A videogame or a tv show is someone elses creation. And he isn't saying kids should never touch a computer game. He's saying that they should be encouraged to use their imagination more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

You're not comparing like with like. Which exercises the imagination more:

Playing a game where everything is already created for you, or reading a book where you have to create everything in your mind from the words given to you on the page? That's basically what Higgins is saying. It's a simplistic view, but at it's heart it's true.
    You dont need imagination to read its all there already just like a good videogame with a good story.

I higlighted the bit you're missing. A videogame or a tv show is someone elses creation. And he isn't saying kids should never touch a computer game. He's saying that they should be encouraged to use their imagination more.

A book is someone else's creation too. Imagination is more than just visualising the written word. It's the suspension of disbelief, the ability to transport yourself to another world and to feel emotion for the imaginary.

And that's before we even talk about the real creative heights of videogames; the likes of LittleBigPlanet, Sim City, Spore, Trackmania and so on. They do more to fire the imagination of children than virtually any other leisure activity available to them.

You dont need imagination to read its all there already just like a good videogame with a good story.
    But you have to visualise it. You don't with a computer game. It's right in front of you. Kids should try doing both activities instead of just one. That's the point being made.

But you have to visualise it. You don't with a computer game. It's right in front of you. Kids should try doing both activities instead of just one. That's the point being made.

2009-08-03_nethack.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Ah I agree, I would rather them read but theres no harm in a few hours of videogames aswell, like in winter we hardly have going out playing weather and it gets dark half an hour after they get in from school.
    The problem is all the there time on the videogames, variety is the spice of life after all.

2009-08-03_nethack.png
    I've already said games in general. And not many 5 years olds would play that anyway.

I've already said games in general. And not many 5 years olds would play that anyway.

I know but I thought it was funny. I'll get my coat :(

Ah I agree, I would rather them read but theres no harm in a few hours of videogames aswell, like in winter we hardly have going out playing weather and it gets dark half an hour after they get in from school.
    The problem is all the there time on the videogames, variety is the spice of life after all.
    Oh totally. Sure I was brought up with computers and computer games. I still read an awful lot and got outside whenever I could. This was an perfect mix. But many kids these days will sit in front of a computer non-stop if they could. And some parents will let the kids do that.

I feel, as Higgins also seems to feel, that a bit more effort should be made to drag kids away from the digital world and do more activities in the real one.

Plus, the book is always better than the film or the game. :D

• Advertisement

I know but I thought it was funny. I'll get my coat :(
    It kind of was, but I didn't want to admit it. :(

Advertisement