Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrians in the cycle lane

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

check_six wrote: »
    Developing a shout to use while cycling takes practice. You need to hone your skill so that you roar at someone the very moment *before* they lurch into your path, because it's way too late if you are already on a collision course. If you can't do this then there is not much point calling out in the first place. The calls in the videos look a bit premeditated, in a kind of "I'm going to shout at someone today" manner. I don't think they show the cyclist in a good light.

I just shout "LOOK!" when I see a zombie pedestrian about to blunder into the road in front of me. It seems to work because I've never had a close encounter yet (touching wood as I type).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Forget pedestrians, try trucks blocking designated bike lanes :D

322697.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,476 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Right a few pics of that cycle lane to nowhere between the r108 at the western end of the Dublin airport runway. You might have to zoom out from them as I uploaded direct from my phone.

The first one is the entrance off the road, its more so set up for pedestrians as it is two quick 90 degree turns when done on a bicycle. From there the pavement bends to the left to head towards Kilshane Cross and the cycle lane begins where you see the start of the hedging. The hedging is currently around 1.5m high, back in July before they chopped it was around 2-2.2m in height and overgrowing into the cycle lane to the extent that you had to cycle in the dead centre of it or thorns would grab your jumper. That was annoying so the council came along and chopped it and left the entire cycle covered in several layers of shards of branches, thorns, rendering the cycle lane pretty unusable for several weeks during the summer.

About half way down the cycle lane there is the entrance to a farmers field. As you can see from the markings in the cycle lane it seems like cyclists should stop here and yield to the farmer if he happens to be coming out of his field when you're passing by.

At the very end there is a blue sign that states 'End of Cycle lane', nowever it is crumpled, covered in dirt and also facing inwards towards the left side hedging. As well as that it is barely 7-8m away from the actual exit into traffic so if you were hairing it down there and didn't know how this cycle lane spits you onto the road then the warning sign would come way to late for you.

The entire lane is approx 400m, maybe 500m long. It begins nowhere and it ends nowhere. Still though it is nice to be cycling along with grown hedges either side of you, when I first came across it I was pleasently surprised to find a cycle lane in a rural location. Its lovely to cycle down but make sure when you get to 50m of the end of it that you're looking over your right shoulder and observing and listening out for cars on the other side of the hedge. If its clear you can press the pedals on and rejoin the road maintaining much of your speed, if its not you got to be on the brakes pretty sharpish.

bit of a resurrection here, but i see about two thirds of the hedging along this stretch has been grubbed up. the cycle lane is actually quite wide there.
    just to clarify, it's the stretch between the st. margarets end of the runway, and kilshane cross.

Advertisement