Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qsat broadband in Co Sligo

Options
  • 23-11-2011 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anybody has any experience with Qsat in the Sligo region. I've a cottage in a rural place that cannot get broadband by any other means. Theres no landline (nor likely to be due to cost) and fastcom cant supply either. I've a tenant lined up but he needs broadband.Got a couple of very bad reviews for Digiweb and saw one of their installations which I thought was very amateur. So would like any definite comments on this, rather than hearsay, please.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Never heard of Qsat to be honest, I am as rural as it gets (sligo/leitrim border) and have net through 3 with a dongle on the national broadband scheme, its not broadband (midband) but its great and I cant fault it. If you cant get a signal at your location they are obliged to insall satalite for you so you cant loose, and 20 yoyos a month isn't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Thanks for the reply mm. Qsat is a newcomer headed up by Niall Quinn. Their website is pretty comprehensive re: bundles, faq's etc. but you can't always go by that.
    Who's obliged to give you sat. broadband if all else fails? I'm interested in that !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

red sean wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply mm. Qsat is a newcomer headed up by Niall Quinn. Their website is pretty comprehensive re: bundles, faq's etc. but you can't always go by that.
    Traffic allowance of 1GB per month? Are they having a laugh?

If you want the max allowance of 20GB, you have to fork out 100 per month!
    red sean wrote: »
    Who's obliged to give you sat. broadband if all else fails? I'm interested in that !!

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Communications/Communications+Development/National+Broadband+Scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

OP have you tried 3G? I was with Fastcom and it cost me €39.99 a month. I switched to 3G under the NBS (National broadband Scheme) and it costs €19.99 a month with a 25GB allowance. I never heard of Qsat broadband btw.

Ya did Corvus. No good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

To be honest it may be your only choice but you are only going to be able to browse the web and watch the odd youtube video. Gaming will be ok as it wont use much data. Any kind of media streaming will be out the window with the 1GB allowance. If it were me I would go for it as something is better then nothing. Actually they are offering Phone TV and 2GB for 59.99 not too much details on the small print but may not be too bad a deal.

bennyc wrote: »
    Actually they are offering Phone TV and 2GB for 59.99 not too much details on the small print but may not be too bad a deal.
    I'm sorry, but I fail to see how that is "not too bad a deal". It's daylight robbery.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but I fail to see how that is "not too bad a deal". It's daylight robbery.

If you are in the wilderness and have no option of any other midband broadband etc other than Satellite you cannot compare this with any other provider other than Satellite. Of course anyone who can get anything else would be off their head thinking about this but it not a bad deal given all the options the OP has.

http://www.qsat.ie/broadband

http://www.digiweb.ie/home/tooway/packages/index.php

http://www.toowaysatellitebroadband.ie/purchase/

ToowaySat price is 289.00 hardware/install, 35.00e per month, 12 months
    Digiweb price is 249.00 hardware / install, 39.95e per month, 24 months

Just to correct my self gaming would be horrible as the ping is pretty high.

If you are in the wilderness and have no option of any other midband broadband etc other than Satellite you cannot compare this with any other provider other than Satellite. Of course anyone who can get anything else would be off their head thinking about this but it not a bad deal given all the options the OP has.

http://www.qsat.ie/broadband

http://www.digiweb.ie/home/tooway/packages/index.php

http://www.toowaysatellitebroadband.ie/purchase/

ToowaySat price is 289.00 hardware/install, 35.00e per month, 12 months
    Digiweb price is 249.00 hardware / install, 39.95e per month, 24 months

Just to correct my self gaming would be horrible as the ping is pretty high.
    But why would you pay for a television service that you can already get for free?

Just because it's your only option for broadband, it still doesn't make it a good deal.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    But why would you pay for a television service that you can already get for free?

Just because it's your only option for broadband, it still doesn't make it a good deal.

I still don’t agree, you are comparing BB packages form other services against this you have to take what is available to you and choose the best.
    In this case you can only compare Satellite providers and if its not a good deal then show the OP a deal that is better that they can use.

I take what you are saying about the TV as they are bundling and installing a mix of free to air from different providers and adding to a package again you could DIY with a free to air kit and either a soarview box or MPEG4 TV plus a dish and save over time i suppose, but you need to be able to install all this yourself to make a saving straight away. You could always just run free to air boxes form the 2or 3 free LNBs from the dish and not go with the TV deal.
    Plus you are getting a phone package with unlimited national and international calls in the mix and no line rental.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the comments folks. no choice only satellite unfortunately and need to get a tenant in. They wo'nt be gaming, streaming etc just normal browsing, email etc. so will probably be ok. Just wondered if anyone on here had signed up with them as sometimes the new companies are more conscientious towards customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dan1994

To be honest it may be your only choice but you are only going to be able to browse the web and watch the odd youtube video. Gaming will be ok as it wont use much data. Any kind of media streaming will be out the window with the 1GB allowance. If it were me I would go for it as something is better then nothing. Actually they are offering Phone TV and 2GB for 59.99 not too much details on the small print but may not be too bad a deal.

i wouldnt say gaming would be ok everytime i go to play ps3 in needs an update which takes about 100mb 1gb would last about 3 days

Advertisement