Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilmainham Gaol closure 1910

Options
  • 23-11-2011 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey all,

I'm doing some research on the Gaol and I'm wondering if anyone maybe able to shed some light on something for me.

Kilmainham Gaol closed in 1910 originally before re-opening again in 1914 as a British Military Detention Barracks

When the Gaol closed a host of material was removed from the building. One of these items was the Stations of the Cross that were originally in the Catholic Chapel of the Gaol (the one where Joseph and Grace Plunkett married before he was executed).

They were removed to the old Waterford Gaol at Ballybricken which closed in 1939

I'm wondering if anyone could help me to try and see what happened to them or shed some light on what happened to Ballybricken Jail

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JemWhsky

Does anyone have any knowledge of where St Johns Well in Kilmainham is exactly.Last i heard it was at the end of ConColbert rd.A lot of partying went on there down the centuries on the 24th of June until it was stopped by the authorites circa 1800.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

JemWhsky wrote: »
    Does anyone have any knowledge of where St Johns Well in Kilmainham is exactly.Last i heard it was at the end of ConColbert rd.A lot of partying went on there down the centuries on the 24th of June until it was stopped by the authorites circa 1800.

Hi JemWhsky,

I'm from that area of Kilmainham and I'm mildly obsessed with the Gaol and the surroundings.

This map shows the location of St. John's Well, although I'm not sure it's the one you're looking for (although I'd say it is):

dublin13a.jpg

It seems to be in the grounds of the royal hospital/IMMA, so the next time you're there I'd do a bit of exploring!

There's also a bit of information in this thread and it would appear that some people keep the pilgrimage to the well alive.

Advertisement