Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why dont some companys want to sell to the ROI

Options
  • 23-11-2011 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Does anybody on here happen to know why certain companys from the UK or further a field wont deal with the Rep of Ireland online ie send goods to the Republic but they will to the north . I can understand the likes of M&S , Argos , Debenhams etc etc because they have branches north , south and in the UK so it wouldnt make sense but certain one off companys dont for some reason :confused: . Does it have somthing to do with VAT or Carriage or is there another reason .

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Shipping costs could be one reason. Plus dealing with returns, which might be more expensive in situations if they had to cover the cost of returning faulty goods, and just take longer.

Another would be that once they hit a certain threshold here they'd have to register for VAT here, which might be more hassle than it's worth.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

MOH wrote: »
    Another would be that once they hit a certain threshold here they'd have to register for VAT here, which might be more hassle than it's worth.

:rolleyes: I'm pretty sure Agros, MS and Debenhams pass the VAT threshold on an average hour of trading.

It's mostly down to logistics and taxes. People already complain about the price disparity between the UK and Ireland. The reputational effect of passing on the increased costs of doing business in Ireland may damage the brand beyond the profit generated.

For example I once ordered a large item in an Argos store, missed the small print and was waiting well over a month for the delivery. If I had known it would take that long I'd have bought somewhere Irish, however unintentionally I noticed since then I more or less avoided the place for smaller items I would have previously picked up in there.

Also with the distant selling act customers can cancel orders before or after they are delivered, this could be a substantial cost issue for the retailers in question.

Saying all that I hope and expect in the next few years they will all get their houses in order and Ireland will catch up with the rest of the E-Commerce world.

:rolleyes: I'm pretty sure Agros, MS and Debenhams pass the VAT threshold on an average hour of trading.

Maybe I misread the OP - I meant businesses that don't already have an existing presence here, and may not want to have to start dealing with charging a separate (ever increasing :mad:) VAT rate for another jurisdiction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

The entire population of ireland is less than the population of greater manchester. Basically they couldn't be arsed with the hassles for a few sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It's not simply a case of them refusing to sell to Ireland. A lot of the UK retailers won't ship outside the UK.

I've managed to find a few that will let you organise your own "pick up", but I usually end up taking my money elsewhere :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭grumbleweed

Some interesting replies here alright i thought there may have been just one straight reason but evidently not .

Here is another thing , I have been doing a bit of shopping around online on the run up to Christmas and have seen a nice LG tv in the UK that i would like to get for my mother . If i get that sent over am i technicaly breaking the law because we have a levy here for disposing of electrical goods that should be paid in the republic but that i wouldnt pay in the UK .

I know its slightly off the OP but Its just a side point that i thought i would throw out there also ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Here is another thing , I have been doing a bit of shopping around online on the run up to Christmas and have seen a nice LG tv in the UK that i would like to get for my mother . If i get that sent over am i technicaly breaking the law because we have a levy here for disposing of electrical goods that should be paid in the republic but that i wouldnt pay in the UK .
    It depends who you buy from

If they're selling more than X amount of electronics into Ireland they'd be registered here and would be paying the Irish levy

Amazon, for example, are.

Some interesting replies here alright i thought there may have been just one straight reason but evidently not .

I know its slightly off the OP but Its just a side point that i thought i would throw out there also ;)

If they deliver here they're supposed to be registered for the WEEE here:
    Producers based outside of Ireland who supply EEE and/or batteries directly to consumers by means of Distance Communication (E.g. through websites or catalogues) must register with both WEEE Ireland and the WEEE Register Society.
    But it's them breaking the law, not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭grumbleweed

That is a great link MOH thanks for posting it . It makes for very interesting reading .

Advertisement