Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do in Galway that is not going to the pub or to the cinema?

Options
  • 23-11-2011 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi!
    I am just wondering if there is any cool things to do in Galway at evening time that is not going to the pub and not going to the cinema.
    I am looking for something that is good fun, cheap or free. Even a coffee place to go.
    Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Theatre

Concerts - keep an eye on the noticeboard at St Nicholas church for what's coming up

Coffee - Javas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

volunteer on a committee never spend a night in again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Plays/theatre
    Music (mostly in pubs though)
    Chess club
    Drumming club
    Table quiz
    Dogs racetrack
    Talk to Occupy Galway group (not joking)
    Do a course
    Play a sport
    Go to college and see what they have on (debating etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Table quiz. Might be in pub but certainly not a drinking environment!

If the rain holds off, there's plenty of nice walkways around the city too

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭listenup

go to dog track on a sat night great craic and u can do it relatively cheap too

• Advertisement

+1 for the dog track, great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

My favourite midweek activity in Galway is walking the Salthill Promenade. It is a wonderful shoreline walk on a an uninterrupted and well lit footpath for around 4km each way, and you can stretch it further during daylight.

I walk it most evenings. Beautiful, even on a windy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Pure Skill is a good non pub activity for a group of ppl.As has been said you could join a club,gym,or Volenteer group.Evening courses in one of the colleges is a good option or join a club for a hobby that you enjoy.Theres Theatre and music most nights in and around the city too.A walk on the Prom is also another good option:).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Would you like to get involved in EMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

There is bowling, the Eglington for a game of pool/snooker or some poker.
    And the go Karting track in Liosbaun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭R0UF

Definitely the greyhounds. Everything else in life pales in comparison.

Seriously though, good night out esp coming up to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ponyo

Cool! I wasn't expecting so many answers, thanks :)
    headmaster wrote: »
    Would you like to get involved in EMA.
    What is EMA?

I'll have a look for the rest!
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Yea join a committee or join a class in yoga, art, drama, dance or music etc. Coffee in Java's or upstairs in Pura Vida or even the back room of Neactains bar which serves good coffee in the evenings too. Prom is nice in the evenings although Galway weather is not too conducive to walks in Winter?

Lots of gyms although they cost money but Salthill gym has good rates and very good for people that are on social welfare benefits. Theatre at Druid, Townhall, NUIG and An Taibhearc. Lived in Galway for some years on and off and as a non drinker found it a bit awkward. You just have to motivate yourself to find the non-pub crowd (who mostly talk horse **** and are not sincere) that are there in ever growing numbers thankfully. Join Couchsurfing as they organise various gatherings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Squareyes for a big of gaming

Mountain biking (check out their facebook page or their website)

There is a sailing club in Oranmore

There is 5-a-side soccer you could join

Check out the night courses from GMIT, NUIG or GTI

Or if you like this weekend you could try something new this weekend Orienteering; http://westerneaglesgalwayorienteers.blogspirit.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

I think it also depends on where your interests lie. What do you like to do in your spare time, any hobbies, stuff like that.

If you'd want to meet people with similar interests, you could join a club or a band or something. There is loads around Galway.

I did find Galway a bit tough to get into as well when I first came here, I do drink but I have no interest in going to the pub for the sake of it. I only go for special occasions, to meet friends I already know. Going around the shops gets old very quickly too.

But I did end up joining two clubs which met my interest, and I'm now even a committee member for one of them. I agree with a previous poster that your spare time evaporates pretty quickly then :) Also a great place to meet people.

Edit: By the way, I assumed here that you're looking for something to spend time on regularly. If you're just looking for something fun to do once-off then you're also in the right place :) But perhaps not the right time as Galway is much quieter in winter.

There's the christmas market coming up, and from the spring onwards there will be the arts festival, film fleadh, macnas, the ocean race, and many other smaller festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

There's some very good Running clubs in Town that seem to meet each evening and a great way to meet people.
    There's the Prom which never gets old.
    And Some great cooking courses that you can do in the evenings too at love2cook.ie
    I went to the Thai one last week and it was fantastic :)

But I did end up joining two clubs which met my interest, and I'm now even a committee member for one of them. I agree with a previous poster that your spare time evaporates pretty quickly then :) Also a great place to meet people.

Can i ask you what your clubs are?

I have a good interest in art and craft myself such as sewing, knitting, do stuff with beads...

Does anybody knows a club about any of this?

I had a look at the cooking classes, i thought it was clever until i saw the price... It's a bit too much for me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

There's also the Boards.ie Book Club. See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ThisWillShow

Badminton Oranmore mon, tues, thur at 8 30. Good way to meet people and we organise table quiz es to raise money for charitys and nights out . Beginners nights are mondays and thursdays. Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Badminton Oranmore mon, tues, thur at 8 30. Good way to meet people and we organise table quiz es to raise money for charitys and nights out . Beginners nights are mondays and thursdays. Best of Luck

+ 1 for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

knitting,
    started on tues 22nd Nov. 7pm in Blue Note
    4 week course for €40.

Maybe contact them, they should know of other knitting groups

badminton is cool, i use to like it, oranmore is a bit far though when no car....

Knitting is a good idea but it a bit expensive.... and i can knit already, i'll try and get contact with them though to see if they know about any club

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

If you can knit already please see my post on skills thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lilonocks

There's nothing like a walk on the prom at night!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 24pintsman

Galway City Museum, down by the Spanish Arch, is free of charge and well worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Davey11

Justmary, cant help but get the opinion that you have your finger on the pulse in Galway. Heading up on the 8th of December with friends, you know of any places having a Table Quiz in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Davey11 wrote: »
    Justmary, cant help but get the opinion that you have your finger on the pulse in Galway. Heading up on the 8th of December with friends, you know of any places having a Table Quiz in the city?

Sorry ... don't know.

Though if someone else tells you of a particular pub with a quiz, I can probably tell you how to get to it on the bus :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

ErnieBert wrote: »
    My favourite midweek activity in Galway is walking the Salthill Promenade. It is a wonderful shoreline walk on a an uninterrupted and well lit footpath for around 4km each way, and you can stretch it further during daylight.

I walk it most evenings. Beautiful, even on a windy day.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,689 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I did a few trips with this fella.

www.kayakmor.com

Saw the city and the coastline from a different perspective, saved me hauling my boat on the car, good boats, good equipment, he has excellent local knowledge, great opportunity to get up close with the seals and wildlife and he's a wealth of info on canoeing/kayaking.

• Advertisement

Davey11 wrote: »

If you find out about any quizz in town please let me know ;)

Advertisement