Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland shares

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Price took a bit of a jump today. I'm guessing this is to do with the Conservative victory. The only other news I can see is regarding the new app being rolled out in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Long-term downtrend resumed a couple of weeks ago. (Look at 3-5 year chart.) Probably accelerated by virus scare.

Back to €3.00, I’m guessing.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Bought 3k worth @3.24 a while ago this morning, a country needs a banking system and below half of book value is dirt cheap, good dividend to boot

Also bought shell at 19.64, 8% plus dividend now

Hope to buy Disney and Facebook at the open later, not sorry i dumped Ryanair a few days ago, the other companies in my portfolio I've had for more than a year, smurfit kappa and CRH, they are down quite a bit from the highs but still a good bit above where I bought, no point selling those

I'm not a trader but incredible volatility like this does present opportunities regardless of what's in store for the next several months, markets don't drop everyday and we are due some sort of brief bounce, the money men reprice incredibly quickly so prices today could reflect a long battle with this virus

It's not a lehmanns event though

Heading for a five-year low a lot faster than I’d expected.

Amazing what a bug can do - helped by a long-overdue reality check.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭konline

Is it a good time to buy or it's going for below €3 mark?
    Thanks.
    Dinarius wrote: »
    Heading for a five-year low a lot faster than I’d expected.

Amazing what a bug can do - helped by a long-overdue reality check.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

konline wrote: »
    Thanks.

If you have to ask, then no it is not a good time for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

konline wrote: »
    Thanks.

I'd take Max's advice on Disney, if it dips to $100 or lower buy. It's probably a buy right now but this virus might drive it lower .

Luckily i dumped bank of Ireland at 3.37 on Monday as i could see banks were not joining the relief rally, I'll be tempted however at 2.50,aib broke 2 so bank of Ireland can break 3

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭themossinator

if you look at the chart of BIRG it has just about broken Aug 19 low of 3.042. It could maybe double bottom here but there is a measured move algo target of 1.810

Watching the intraday moves; the resilience of the €3.00 level is fascinating. Below it, there’s no support. We are where we were last autumn, as someone has indicated. We bounced then and bounced big. But, only after a bit of ramping - buying by one BofI exec, as I recall and a few “expert” buy recommendations.

The bounce was only high enough to resume the long term downtrend. But, the return on that play was good for those who sold subsequently.

However, external influences very different now, and September’s dose of QE is a distant memory.

The Brits may yet have the last laugh when the grand Euro project is put under the microscope.

D.

• Advertisement

Rallied to €3.14 half-an-hour before the close before falling back to close at €3.07. So, plenty of short-covering before the weekend, it seems.

But, the €3.00 level held. Interesting.

Might have a (very) small punt next week.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

€2.74 looking good value

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

€2.74 looking good value

They sound good at that !

Put in a very small intra-day order at €2.70.

Not hopeful of getting it filled now.

We'll see.

D.

€2.74 looking good value

Really and what valuation method did you use to reach that conclusion? And how does it stack up against several mainland Europe banks offering twice the T1 and on sale at 10% to 30% discount at the moment?

The markets are offering up some golden opportunities to buy blues chips at fantastic discounts, stocks you can happily hold for the next 20 or 30 years and you are off buying what is essentially junk in comparison.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Really and what valuation method did you use to reach that conclusion? And how does it stack up against several mainland Europe banks offering twice the T1 and on sale at 10% to 30% discount at the moment?

The markets are offering up some golden opportunities to buy blues chips at fantastic discounts, stocks you can happily hold for the next 20 or 30 years and you are off buying what is essentially junk in comparison.

Using the valuation that I sold some at €7 a year and a half or so ago.

I'm not dismissing other stocks.

I'm balls deep in Bitcoin.

So why don't you name some of those "golden opportunities" instead of slagging off everyone else?

Using the valuation that I sold some at €7 a year and a half or so ago.

That is just price, nothing to do with valuation.

That is just price, nothing to do with valuation.

I had no idea sorry

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    So why don't you name some of those "golden opportunities" instead of slagging off everyone else?

I'm not in the business of recommending stocks for free... you have got access to all the tools necessary, spend your time doing research rather than listening to the talking heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I'm not in the business of recommending stocks for free... you have got access to all the tools necessary, spend your time doing research rather than listening to the talking heads.

Why are you on here interacting with talking heads so?

It's such poor form to come to a free discussion forum and slag everyone off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Umaro wrote: »

I don't think Jim is slagging people off .... I think he is merely reminding would-be investors about the perils of assuming that a companies shares are now undervalued simply because they have halved in price over the last 4 months.

I for one welcome his contributions.

You do really need to be looking at things other than just the share price to determine what is good value. e.g Future prospects, management, general economic backdrop, competition etc.

Personally, I think the Irish economy is on shaky ground and I would be very hesitant to have too much exposure to it. Buying into either of the two Pillar banks is akin to buying directly into the Irish Economy.

I doubt you do anything for free bar slagging others off online

I don't think Jim is slagging people off .... I think he is merely reminding would-be investors about the perils of assuming that a companies shares are now undervalued simply because they have halved in price over the last 4 months.

I for one welcome his contributions.

You do really need to be looking at things other than just the share price to determine what is good value. e.g Future prospects, management, general economic backdrop, competition etc.

Personally, I think the Irish economy is on shaky ground and I would be very hesitant to have too much exposure to it. Buying into either of the two Pillar banks is akin to buying directly into the Irish Economy.

I don't own the Irish banks but it's incorrect to say buying into them is akin to buying into the Irish economy, the banks have seen no benefit whatsoever from the Irish economic recovery

First of all these are most definitely not the talking heads, they are just listening and repeating what they are hearing from people who may have a different agenda...

I'm not slagging people off, I'm trying to get them to realize that there is very little difference between how they are dealing with stocks and a night at the dogs, although that might be a more entertaining way to loose money.

Investing in individual stocks hard work, very hard work if you want to deliver consistent results. It involves reading accounts, stock reports, doing valuations etc.. You need to know not just about the company you want to invest in, but it's competitors too. And if you are not will to do that you are better off putting your money in an ETF.

At the moment you have a golden opportunity to pick blue chips at a discount, but in stead people are sticking money into a clapped out European regional bank!

Take the DOW 30 for starters, not alone have a list of blue chips, but you have free access to the ValueLine reports, which are generally a fairly good starting point. Do your home work.

I doubt you do anything for free bar slagging others off online

If you want to present an investment philosophy based on listing to talking heads and gut reaction, you should not be surprised if you get called out on it. Especially if failing to do so, causes other to follow you don't the rabbit hole.

First of all these are most definitely not the talking heads, they are just listening and repeating what they are hearing from people who may have a different agenda...

I'm not slagging people off, I'm trying to get them to realize that there is very little difference between how they are dealing with stocks and a night at the dogs, although that might be a more entertaining way to loose money.

Investing in individual stocks hard work, very hard work if you want to deliver consistent results. It involves reading accounts, stock reports, doing valuations etc.. You need to know not just about the company you want to invest in, but it's competitors too. And if you are not will to do that you are better off putting your money in an ETF.

At the moment you have a golden opportunity to pick blue chips at a discount, but in stead people are sticking money into a clapped out European regional bank!

Take the DOW 30 for starters, not alone have a list of blue chips, but you have free access to the ValueLine reports, which are generally a fairly good starting point. Do your home work.

we in ireland cant buy the DOW since american etf,s became off limits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Now is not a time to buy , the indices still have another possible 10% to fall in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

Up almost 10% this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

we in ireland cant buy the DOW since american etf,s became off limits

I think he means companies in the DOW

Advertisement